Bwaaatch

Cheap upgrade for the front hub tie bars on Comicals – WR-02CB weakpoint

Looking for either a very cheap or very reliable fix to what seems to be a weak point on my comical buggies.

I lose AN AWFUL LOT of the step screws that connect the N6 tie bars to to the shock tower. The screw is BA1.

About one in three of my bashing sessions result in this breakage – on more than one buggy. No parts seem damaged, but the screw works itself loose and is lost in the grass. Is this a common issue for others?

Anyway, I'd really like for it to never happen again!

On one of my buggies I have the Yeah racing front hub carrier set, which replaces the N6 tie bar with an adjustable tie rod, and the BA1 step screw with an alternative hex screw that connects to a ball end nut on the other side, allowing the connection of the adjustable tie rod as well as a bit more lateral movement without straining the screw. This is the set: https://www.yeahracing.com/aluminum-c-hub-set-for-tamiya-wr02cb-black-tawr-015bk-00082654 . But's it's pricey, and not that easy to source in the UK.

I would really love to have that kind of setup, but investing in the whole set seems like overkill for my needs. I guess I just need:

• 4 x ball socket ends
  • 2 x tie rods of correct length
  • 2 x hex screw
  • 2 x ball end nut with a kind of hollow sheath?

Identifying and sourcing those things separately feel like t might be a huge pain!

So my questions are:

• Anyone know of a set that does all this?
  • Anyone faced the same issue and identified a single seller who might have the bits?
  • Do I need to suck it up and buy the yeah racing kit?

image.thumb.png.51d47ceae076c1394b42846fcd2af996.png

He he!

Forcing myself to write this up and explain the problem made me learn some of the correct terminology, which in terms led to some more successful googling.

So I have just bought a GPM set of WR02 tie rods like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPM-Steel-Anti-Thread-Turnbuckle-Tie-Rod-6pcs-Set-For-Tamiya-WR02-Hop-Up-Parts/112063880532?hash=item1a17871d54:g:h5kAAOSwsB9V-m7I

Hopefully they will do the job.

On those coarse thread self tapers I use gorilla glue (white acrylic) as a "thread lock". 

It gives more grip BUT also does not do damage when you remove the screw for repairs etc. I started using this when the plastic parts started to get old and threads not no good,now I do it from the get go.

9 minutes ago, Gazzalene said:

On those coarse thread self tapers I use gorilla glue (white acrylic) as a "thread lock". 

It gives more grip BUT also does not do damage when you remove the screw for repairs etc. I started using this when the plastic parts started to get old and threads not no good,now I do it from the get go.

Likewise, although my plastic friendly threadlock of choice is cyanoacrylate. 

I drilled the holes in the chassis out to 4mm ( I think stock they are 3.8mm) and used some of these with an m3 bolt. Then made a simple turnbuckle from some 5mm adjusters.

1yRwIl4.jpg

JVWeWi1.jpg

The m3 stepped screws supplied with the DF-02 and TT02B turnbuckle sets for example are great for this, as you can use them to attach a 5mm ball nut with no further collars or spacers required.

Part number 50579 gets you a bag of 5. The 4 you need, plus one spare. 9805389 gets you the pack of ball nuts to go with them. 

I've used that method also. But had to shim the stepped screw at the head to stop it spinning in the hole as the stepped part is slightly longer than the hole. Still worked good though.

20201130_000911.jpg

18 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Likewise, although my plastic friendly threadlock of choice is cyanoacrylate. 

I thought CA would be more "aggressive"?  The acrylic never seems to go hard,seems to remain supple but it grips ,if you get me?

14 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Would plumbers PTFE tape be any use? Very cheap 

The white acrylic glue is similar in that it does not set "hard" . Also its far easier to use, that tape has a mind of its own!

51 minutes ago, Gazzalene said:

The white acrylic glue is similar in that it does not set "hard" . Also its far easier to use, that tape has a mind of its own!

You need to wrap it really tight but I think the glue is also a good bet

5 hours ago, Busdriver said:

You need to wrap it really tight but I think the glue is also a good bet

Yes,but do you CW or ACW, Then you pull the tape to break it and get that long thin bit left!!! : )

• Haha 1