Sign in to follow this  
Mechanic AH

Please recommend a brushed ESCs that can handle 11T motors (buggy off-road)

Working on an off-road 4WD buggy build and thought of testing an 11T brushed motor but my dilemma is finding an ESC.

The only ones I have is a Futaba MC330CR (but only up to 13T) and an older Novak T1 (not sure if this can run it but I'm saving it for a vintage non-Tamiya build).  Can the Futaba run it or the motor will damage it?

I've seen a lot of generic Hobbywing type ones and not a fan of the look for the build I'm doing. And some are for crawlers. But if I have to get one, it looks like MST has a one that can handle 8T/45K RPM—but it looks like a Hobbywing style. Are there others out there, something I can get new? Thanks.

• Like 1

Tamiya Volac or an LRP , but no brushed ESC was designed to run a LiPo 

I run lipo with 11t/12t/9t orion sv2 and orbital motors in kopropo vfs1 esc without a problem. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Snappy1 said:

Tamiya Volac or an LRP , but no brushed ESC was designed to run a LiPo 

2 minutes ago, t3garett said:

I run lipo with 11t/12t/9t orion sv2 and orbital motors in kopropo vfs1 esc without a problem. 

Thanks for the responses. I need a brushed ESC because I already have the 11T brushed motor. I will also be using NiMH not LiPo. Looked at the Volac, but where to get? Do they still make them? And is it brushed? I only saw one on fleabay for a ridiculous price, I looked at a KO Propo equivalent but it says 23T max. Then the LRP, I looked into that one a while back but they don't have a brushed ESC that supports 11T brushed.

8 minutes ago, t3garett said:

I ll send you some photos of my kopropo escs tonight if you like. 

Thanks. But I think that’s a brushless ESC? Looking for brushed.

I think Hobbywing 80A crawler ESC might.  

http://www.hobbywing.com/goods.php?id=543

It says "Brushed Motor Limit with 2S LiPo > 10t.  

So yeah, that might handle LiPo and down to 10t.  

I don't know about crawler ESCs, but at full throttle, it's got to give 100% current, right?  Just more control at low end, I suppose. 

• Like 1

I run the Hobbywing crawler esc with a Tamiya 11 turn double on LiPo, I geared it down a little but it’s brushless fast

I have a NIP crazy spec brushed motor that I have never found an ESC for,  its an Orion 8 turn single, Mark Rhienard edition

• Like 2

3 hours ago, t3garett said:

I ll send you some photos of my kopropo escs tonight if you like. 

No it s a vfs1 one of the best racing brushed esc money could buy at the time. That s why I thought you might want to look at one so that you can find one. The volac was a rebadged kopropo vfs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, t3garett said:

No it s a vfs1 one of the best racing brushed esc money could buy at the time. That s why I thought you might want to look at one so that you can find one. The volac was a rebadged kopropo vfs.

Oh got it. Yes, a picture would be good to make sure I find the right one. Thank you!

If you can find an LRP F1 Pro, they are robust ESC's with no motor limit.  They were one of the beefiest ESC's prior to LiPo, so there's no low voltage cut-off to contend with.

• Like 1

Best luck with your search...I'm in the same boat and I bought a HWMax10 60A hopefully it's a descent esc and it looks like brushless only. I too wanted a brushed esc, and aside from my old orange Novak 610R, I don't have anything else to run brushed motors. I don't know if 2s lipo would fry the Novak lol.

• Like 1

You could also fund one of these : novak dually it s a limitless esc (no motor limit)  

• Like 1

@t3garett thanks for the pictures! Now I just have to hunt for some of these—realized I have two upcoming builds that might end up using hot motors.

Also came across an affordable but current ESC that seems to run up to 8T 45k rpm. @Smokeylocc420 @Snappy1 maybe this might work for what you need? Not sure how many RPM is on your 8T Orion.

Here are the specs (trying to avoid the generic style look but this at least has black wires and looks cleaner):

Cont. / Burst Current Forward : 60A / 360A  ;  Backward : 30A / 180A
Input 2-3S Lipo, 5-9 cells NiMH
Cars Applicable 1:10 on-road, off-road Buggy, Truggy, SCT, Crawler, Tank
Motor Turns 4-6cells NiMH or 2S Lipo 540 or 550 size motor ≧ 8T or RPM , 45000 @ 7.2V
8-9cells NiMH or 3S Lipo 540 or 550 size motor ≧ 8T or RPM , 30000 @ 7.2V
Resistance Fwd : 0.0008 Ohm, Bwd : 0.0016 Ohm
Buit-in BEC 5V / 3A ( Linear mode BEC )
RWM Frequency 1KHz
Dimension & Weight 36 X 30 X 18, 40g

it’s an MST XB60. Going to probably try it until I can find a fancier ESC.

• Like 1

The MSTXB60 looks suspiciously like a quickrun 1060 I hope it really does have upgraded internals cause even if the quickrun1060 is suposed to handle 12t it can't handle some 12t motors I have tried with it. I'm perhaps paranoid but I'm a bit dubious about the MSTXB60.

1 hour ago, t3garett said:

The MSTXB60 looks suspiciously like a quickrun 1060 I hope it really does have upgraded internals cause even if the quickrun1060 is suposed to handle 12t it can't handle some 12t motors I have tried with it. I'm perhaps paranoid but I'm a bit dubious about the MSTXB60.

Yeah. Probably over rated. Still looking but might test it out.

My Quicrun 1060 will not run my Parma 14 turn brushed motor. After about 1 minute it either shuts down or slows to half speed. I would take the 12 turn limit with a pinch of salt.  This is in my super light Sand Viper with the smallest pinion.