slimleeroy

Vqs bearings

Hi guys.  Does anyone know which bearings are required for the vqs? Can't believe it is t fully ballraced. Thanks all.

Deleted, wrong thread! Doh

FYI, AFAIK, the only bearings that are not supplied ballraced are:

2 x 620

2 x 830

2 x 850

The 850's are easy enough to find but the 620 and 830 less so. I looked for 620's from my usual bearing suppliers and they didn't stock that size. However I've run for years with the supplied plastic or metal bearings (in my Avante class buggies) and not noticed issues. I run mine alot and with quite pokey motors too.

• Like 1

4 x 850

2 x 830

2 x 620

These replace some bushes inside the gearbox. The rest is ball bearings throughout.

On 12/2/2020 at 12:22 AM, Superluminal said:

4 x 850

2 x 830

2 x 620

These replace some bushes inside the gearbox. The rest is ball bearings throughout.

850 is in all my kits but never seen 830 - 620 in any kits?. But yeah, RcBearings are a great store, very helpful to. Bearings i usually find in Tamiya kits are:

Find it a bit strange they use rare barings and not include them

They are the bearings that the conical shaped gears run on with very small diameter shafts. I left the plastic and metal bushes in on my vqs build as they are completely sealed within the gearbox so shouldnt wear too badly.

Slight thread revival - but I’ve just built mine and have two of the four 850 ball bearings supplied by RC Bearings left over.... can’t find anywhere in the manual where these should go, as there only seem to be two 850 metal bushings which were replaced...

Is it in fact just two of the 850 ball bearings which are required, or have I missed something...

Many thanks!

@Golden I think you only need 2 850 bearings additional to those supplied by the kit.  The car needs 4 in total, but Tamiya gives you 2 (one for step 8 and one for step 25) so you only need two more for step 5.

Can anyone help me choose the correct width for the 620 size?    ID=2mm OD=6mm, but is it 2.5mm or 3.0mm wide?   Both are common on eBay.

Same question for the 830 size.  ID=3mm OD=8mm, but is it 3mm or 4mm wide?

• Like 1

Thanks for this - quite right now I’ve checked the manual in the cold light of day (and well-after the bottle of wine I’d drunk during the assembly process!)

It’s a bit of a mission to open up my gearboxes to check the bearings for you (and I do feel guilty saying it!). Are you in the UK - as a bearing kit from RC Bearings is about £4 plus the postage... alternatively you could measure the plastic bearings provided with calipers, as they must be the same? 

I was being lazy when I asked for the widths.  I opened my kit and measured.  The 620 is about 2.4mm wide and the 830 is about 2.8mm wide, so I ordered 620 2.5mm and 830 3mm widths from eBay.