Re-Bugged

Truck 3 Speed help please.

Just wondering if I’m on the right track here in the middle of a 3 speed gearbox assembly.

What I have a slight concern about is are the bearings in part J7 meant to be secured?

There is no mention of it in the manual, but as J7 would slide along the shaft it would appear the the bearings can slip out of the housing in J7 leaving it to flop about.

Bearings in place...

CC2EE555-F42C-4DFE-8F44-87FFF94A78D5.jpg

6141A577-4411-4E2B-AE6F-44444A38194E.jpg

Then simulating J7 sliding it would seem to leave the bearings to slip out?...

8830A195-B64B-4DD8-B4A1-29C8E8989CC6.jpg

6D0D410E-4254-45F9-83B2-251C570C6005.jpg

B224C840-F207-45BD-B13F-6CCCB4594A5E.jpg

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated 👍🏻

Mmmm....I’m guessing it could be a typo in the manual. Here’s a pic of the Scania manual with the same shaft and gear. It recommends instant glue which is what I did (carefully).....:). Mine still works so must be ok!

hope this helps

Cheers

Kurt

2BB7A4DF-2664-4DC9-BCD5-56844D16CBEC.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Re-Bugged, also note though that the Scania manual says NOT to replace these particular bushes with bearings.....

• Thanks 1

Thank you @Beetlemankurt 👍🏻, Tamiya must have been saving money on printing ink for my manual 😉

I watched this YT clip and this gearbox would seem to run with the bushings having slid out, but I can’t say I like the idea..

I believe that @topforcein has replaced all his bushes with bearings (from a dodgy memory) without an issue?

I’ll have another look when I get a chance. 

5 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Thank you @Beetlemankurt 👍🏻, Tamiya must have been saving money on printing ink for my manual 😉

I watched this YT clip and this gearbox would seem to run with the bushings having slid out, but I can’t say I like the idea..

I believe that @topforcein has replaced all his bushes with bearings (from a dodgy memory) without an issue?

I’ll have another look when I get a chance. 

don`t like that idea. I thought part of bushings/bearings job was to help the part slide on the shaft as well as rotate freely. with bearings that come out theres a chance the gear is going to ctach on the bearing and not seat properly causing it not to engage gear and eventually damage to the gear. Side note, the volvo manual is different yet again with no mention of instant cement and no instruction not to replace parts

• Thanks 1

My MAN TGX manual definitely states to use instant cement here, and also not to replace with a bearing.  I guess there is a risk you could get cement into the bearing and seize it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers @Mad Ax, it sounds like there are discrepancies across the board with the manuals? The only thing in my manual that I’m advised not to change is the motor!!

‘Use only the motor supplied in the kit’  It says 🤔

I was thinking the same as you on seizing the bearings with glue. So I’ve bitten the bullet and glued the bearings in with a small dot in a few places, then checked the inner part still spun freely, then bolted the rest up and a bench test looks to be promising. 

• Like 1

you know what ....with how my memory is recently:huh: (really really bad) i cant remember what i did :lol: i would have to take the gearbox apart to see what i did

but you can def change the motor ... i mean why would tamiya release the tr tuned truck motor(witch i have in both my trucks) i wpuld say they can't be bothered to update the destructions 

• Like 2

Speaking of aging memory, I remember reading somewhere there was supposedly a running change to the gearbox when the Scania was released, have no idea what it was though.

All mine use bearings in place of the brass bushings, never had any ill effects.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remembered I got confused on this step for the high-lift Hilux.

manual says do not use ball bearing But  I got the full ball bearing set for the Ford Hi-lift  and I have 2 extra bearings left when I decided to follow manual recommendation using bushings instead. Then why would Tamiya have extra bearing in the set when this step does not recommend using bearings...:blink:

• Like 1