rwordenjr

8.4V Nimh vs 2S Lipo

Thinking of getting an 8.4V Nimh to try in the BigWig. Has anyone tested an 8.4v compared to a 2S Lipo? Even comparable or is Lipo just way better?

The 8.4v probably has more punch, but far outweighs the Lipo

• Like 1

I noticed my Bigwig tended to "grip roll" more on 8.4v nimh vs 7.2v nimh. Granted, my back yard is reasonably grippy in the grassy parts and my Bigwig does have the fastest motor of my runner group (the others run Sport Tuned, Torque Tuned or silvercans) so that might have contributed to the roll overs. Watching the dynamics of the Bigwig under 8.4v power, I can tell you it appeared to lean more in corners though but I wanted the full 1986 Bigwig experience. It was fun, but I've since dropped back to 7.2v. I felt the wide-looking plastic tub chassis coupled with how it acted with the transverse 8.4v battery all contributed to the old "Bigpig" nickname the buggy unfortunately carried in some circles. It was these things rather than actual weight in my eyes that gave the undeserving name. I really like the buggy. It looks totally different and its great seeing the cover of the 1987 Guidebook come alive. 

• Like 1

Okay guys thanks. I’m going to get a cheap. 8.4v just to try so I can get the bigwig experience as you said @Saito2. I have 2S’s laying around so can switch to that if need. 

Depends on the motor.

Once the 8.4v gets an initial hit, it'll be down near 2s Lipo voltage anyway, so it'll be the discharge amp capabilities and lighter weight of the Lipo, that'll make the difference.

If you're running the stock 21t Technigold, then it'll really only be the weight, as a Nimh will probably handle the discharge (4000mah +), so ...either either 🤷‍♂️

Hotter, demanding more amps, and the Lipo would be better.

5 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

I’m going to get a cheap. 8.4v just to try so I can get the bigwig experience as you said @Saito2.

I forgot to mention, part of the Bigwig's reputation might have come from the slower and/or less powerful steering servos of the day working the Bigwig's unique rack and pinion system. I have a descent servo in mine and it steers pretty well.