Apollo11

ESC Switch Not Functioning

While installing a Quickrun ESC into my hotshot, I found that because the switch was a different shape to the original ESC, it wouldn't mount in the hole without a little modification. With the switch rubber fixed in place using a glue gun, I then did something that I now realise wasn't so smart after all. I tried to fit the switch in place by some further use of the glue gun.

Unfortunately it appears that enough of the glue managed to find its way inside the switch as to prevent it making a contact and now the ESC is completely dead. I have cleaned out the switch as best I can using isopropyl alcohol, unfortunately to no avail. With the switch cover off,  I have found that if I short a couple of points on the switch circuit, the ESC comes to life. This leaves me with the following options as a next course of action:

1. Complain to modelsport that the ESC is faulty and try and wangle a replacement
  2. Solder together the two points on the circuit thus bypassing the switch.
  3. Cut the leads and join the two relevant ones together (there are three leads)
  4. Buy a replacement ESC switch (I have seen a replacement for about £10 inc delivery) plus wire connectors
  5. buy another ESC
  6. Head down the Winchester until it all blows over

With regards to option 4, is there anything that I need to bear in mind when choosing what I need and I am open to recommendations? What would folks suggest?

Get another switch, cut the old one off, wire the new one up, easy peasy.

Then head down to the Winchester, and take your RC since it will be running again :D

• Like 1

At least your mistake wasn't as dangerous as what I did two months back.  I was trimming a bush outside. I cut off the power extension cord hanging next to it.  Seeing a spark flying was fun for a second, but that could have been very dangerous. (Fortunately, it's only 110v here)  

Anyway, some people just cut off the switch and connect red and black together.  You put the battery in, and it's on.  This option is not good if you are one of those very friendly folks who stand around and have a chat with everybody who's passing by.  It's safe to turn it off.  

Any Radioshack switch would do.  If they are not around anymore, ebay has them for about $2 USD.  It takes weeks to deliver though.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-RC-Switch-JR-Futaba-Connector-On-Off-with-Spare-Male-Plug-ss/164443096888?hash=item2649928738:g:wD8AAOSwtC5ehw7O

I'd just twist the 2 wires together and bypass the switch. I'm going to assume that you will be using less than 3s lipo, so it should not be a safety hazard. I've done this with a few older Castle ESC's since they have crappy switches and they have been totally fine since. As for a switch recommendation,  I'm pretty sure any old switch would be fine. 

• Like 1

After doing some research on point 3 it seems you'd need to join the red & white wire to bypass the switch.

However I'd go with point 2 as you would hopefully retain the functionality of the set button. It should then follow that holding down the set button and then connecting the battery gets you into programing mode. Notice I said should and would be interested in the results if you try this.

On 12/4/2020 at 1:33 AM, Bash said:

I'd just twist the 2 wires together and bypass the switch. I'm going to assume that you will be using less than 3s lipo, so it should not be a safety hazard. I've done this with a few older Castle ESC's since they have crappy switches and they have been totally fine since. As for a switch recommendation,  I'm pretty sure any old switch would be fine. 

Having decided this was the cheapest, minimal fuss option, this is what I’ve gone for in the first instance. Thank you. 

if I decide not having a switch is a drawback after all, I’ll look into getting one. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 11:53 PM, Apollo11 said:

I have found that if I short a couple of points

I wouldn't entertain shorts in this weather ;)

• Haha 1