Rusty Spanner

Oil filled dampers for an M05-RA?

Hiya!

Just finished building my 2CV Rally project - lovely thing. 

However, as a M class newbie, I'm  bit confused about which oil filled shocks would be appropriate for this kit. 

I've searched online but seem to be getting lots of conflicting advice as to which shocks will fit,. It won't be raced, but I'd like something decent that gives me bettter handling than the stock pogo sicks. 

The car is standard apart from bearings and a Sport Tuned motor - will be used on gravel paths and tarmac.

Happy to go Tamiya or quality third party.

Thanks in advance folks....

Yeah Racing shocks, there about £30 and come with lots of spears and 5 different grades of springs. really well made and a great price. I have a set on my M05, 7and 8

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Raman36 said:

Don’t bother with the M chassis big bore, or m chassis works. 

Anything wrong with these? Or are you saying they're not worth the additional expense?

I'd recommend the same thing @DayRider recommended.  

https://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-shock-gear-55mm-damper-set-for-1-10-rc-touring-car-blue-dsg-0055bu-00036299  The quality isn't going to top Tamiya, but these are decent enough.  

55mm is tiny bit longer. A rally car can use a bit more travel for gravel.  

I would put oil with 4-hole pistons for the front.  Maybe you can only put a drop of oil in the rear shocks (only as lubricant).  Which means the rear won't be "oil-filled."  You can test out how you like it. If it's enough, you can leave it empty.  Or if the rear shocks act like pogo sticks, put oil. 

The way I see it, just because you have a set of oil shocks, doesn't mean that you must make it as stiff as possible.  Their function is not stopping the springs from reacting. They are there to prevent pogo-sticking (is that a word?).  For lighter rear end, one O-ring in the shock might just do the job.  Obviously, it's your decision, though. 

Oh, Anti-Wear grease in the diff would help the car propel.  

• Like 2

Personally, for rally cars that are actually going to see use on rally stages, I prefer plastic body CVA shocks. The alloy ones look very nice, for the first run or two, but soon start to look scratched and beat up. The black plastic, while also prone to wear, does not show it as obviously. They also work rather well.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 12:14 AM, DeadMeat666 said:

Anything wrong with these? Or are you saying they're not worth the additional expense?

I was thinking about getting a set of the big bore and was wondering what they would be like. Do you use them and if so, what are they like, would you recommend them?

56 minutes ago, DayRider said:

I was thinking about getting a set of the big bore and was wondering what they would be like. Do you use them and if so, what are they like, would you recommend them?

I did in fact get the big bore M chassis dampers and I have them on my M06 chassis. I haven't run it yet because the body is not finished, but I'll be sure to give my impressions when I do.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

I did in fact get the big bore M chassis dampers and I have them on my M06 chassis. I haven't run it yet because the body is not finished, but I'll be sure to give my impressions when I do.

Haha no way that's the chassis that I'm going to get them for. Cool mate if you wouldn't mind that would be great thanks.

On 12/4/2020 at 4:14 PM, DeadMeat666 said:

There’s nothing specifically wrong with them.. just not worth the additional money.. to call them big bore is also a stretch... and they’re black!! Not TRF blue 

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2020 at 7:30 PM, TurnipJF said:

Personally, for rally cars that are actually going to see use on rally stages, I prefer plastic body CVA shocks. The alloy ones look very nice, for the first run or two, but soon start to look scratched and beat up. The black plastic, while also prone to wear, does not show it as obviously. They also work rather well.

This. I personally wouldn't go buying any of the M chassis alloy shocks for a rally car, they will be oversprung as they are purposely made for on road performance. I agree with @TurnipJF the black plastic CVAs would be your best bet with a soft shock oil and/or piston combo.

I also have two sets of the M chassis big bore dampers, one on my M08 and another set for my M07 when it arrives. Have not run my M08 yet, but they build really nice. I would like to get all of the M chassis specific damper sets that Tamiya makes 😁