Doc Hollywood

What is a vintage monster beetle worth ?

Hi All

I hope you are well

I am selling my much loved Vintage monster beetle that I have owned for 5 years. I am wondering how much it is worth as the chassis looks new and was rebuilt with all vintage parts bought from all over the world. It has 3 vintage body shells one is box art but has got patina but it has no breaks and has its original glass, I were building a new shell which was a Blitzer vintage shell, And also a beaten up shell that only has some cracking around the front body post like most you see and that has its original glass that has been painted black. It comes with original worn manual and boxed Acoms Techniplus MK V.

I am asking for an opinion on how much value is here as I have had an offer of £180 and wanted to know if it was a good offer or a bad one. I will add pictures at some point this weekend.

Any ideas on price would be greatly appreciated:)

regards Doc

The chassis itself is worth about $125.  Maybe up to $200 depending on condition and hop-ups.

The Original body with original windows is worth (guessing) maybe $100???  The windows are different now and the original windows are impossible to find. Someone will want it for their shelf queen.

Terry

It's more about the body work than the chassis but the chassis does matter.

That being said, depending on how well it was built & maintained, as well as how true to the body is to the box art (unless you have really well done custom "works-of-art-like" bodies), then I'd say anywhere from 350 to 500.

I've even seen one go for 1k due to the nature of the rare period correct hop ups (esc, motor, etc) that were also put onto it but this is really rare though and are more from private collections.

Hard to say without photos:) but based on description £180 sounds a bit low, that said, I don't reckon Monster Beetles are having the best time of it at the moment price wise - no idea why seeing as they're one of Tamiyas best and most iconic kits ever......

I would like to see pics but I would probably sell it for that price.  The re-re put a big dent in the value of the originals and even more with the improvement to the rear end so you can actually run them.  I sold an unbuilt version on eBay, in the box, for about 350 USD a little after the re-re first came out.

I would say the market is a bit flat after the crazy rush in the 1st lockdown. Prices are definitely going downwards ...

On 12/6/2020 at 4:32 AM, DrGoatboy said:

I would say the market is a bit flat after the crazy rush in the 1st lockdown. Prices are definitely going downwards ...

Even with there being virtually no kits available on the market?  People may tend to pay over what you'd think just to get something into their hands.  I don't know...

1 hour ago, A-Baum said:

Even with there being virtually no kits available on the market?  People may tend to pay over what you'd think just to get something into their hands.  I don't know...

Definitely. I have been keeping an eye on a few different cars on eBay and prices have definitely dropped. I started looking for a bear hawk and even crappy cars only really fit for parts were over £100, with decent cars well over £150. Now they are £50 or so cheaper.

NIB Kits definitely are over original market values but not like they were. Top force kits were over £300 but now go for closer to £250 when they come up on eBay. 

On 12/5/2020 at 9:56 PM, Hudson said:

Hard to say without photos:) but based on description £180 sounds a bit low, that said, I don't reckon Monster Beetles are having the best time of it at the moment price wise - no idea why seeing as they're one of Tamiyas best and most iconic kits ever......

I think it’s mostly due to the rerelease

On 12/7/2020 at 8:20 PM, A-Baum said:

Yeah prices do seem erratic lately.

The Monster Beetle is in a dip at the moment, but I'm quite sure it will come back strong.  Ten years ago, which is roughly when I got back into Tamiya RC, well before the re release, Monster Beetles were seriously hot, any half decent used example was fetching very good money.  The re releases seem to affect different models in different ways.  

I was lucky enough to own (for a while) a beautifully built original Monster Beetle with superb body and decals and quite honestly it was the most striking Tamiya kit I've ever owned.  It's iconic, unique, and very cool looking, but, right now, for whatever reason, they're just not fetching good money.  I think the MB is punching well below its weight at the moment, as was the Hotshot for a while, also the Boomerang, but these things can turn around fast..........

Hi All

I hope you are all well and had a great Christmas Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas I appreciate that you have taken the time to help me  I must admit prices are always all over the place. I did decide to let it go as it was going to someone locally. I hope I don't regret selling it :unsure:

Did we find out how much are they actually worth? :ph34r:

I don't want to start a new thread, but I picked this vintage mb up and don't think I'll keep it as I have too many projects on, plus it was never really a favourite of mine. :rolleyes:

Any idea where I should price it? 

Screenshot_20210202_221603.thumb.jpg.b6bee6673ba5076ca8d8d6aa77e4b90b.jpg

Screenshot_20210202_213322.thumb.jpg.87eae7c217ca2cbbe873b17c0b570e3d.jpg

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

image.jpeg.98f3daed4bb1748f257ba1c9422a5aaf.jpeg

One million dollars...(?)

Can you get Dr Evil to pm me if this is the case? :lol:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Wez-li said:

Can you get Dr Evil to pm me if this is the case? :lol:

I will let him know you a very interested in his offer ;).

• Haha 1

While I consider his offer, does anyone have a more realistic appraisal? :)

13 hours ago, Wez-li said:

Did we find out how much are they actually worth? :ph34r:

I don't want to start a new thread, but I picked this vintage mb up and don't think I'll keep it as I have too many projects on, plus it was never really a favourite of mine. :rolleyes:

Any idea where I should price it? 

Screenshot_20210202_221603.thumb.jpg.b6bee6673ba5076ca8d8d6aa77e4b90b.jpg

Screenshot_20210202_213322.thumb.jpg.87eae7c217ca2cbbe873b17c0b570e3d.jpg

The body, or rather the window pieces, is where the value is at. That body with intact windows can fetch a decent price bc the new window pieces doesn’t have a rear.  Maybe $100???  Just a guess...

The rest of the car is worth about $100???

All based on what I see in the photos, and the current market for Blackfoots.  I don’t really shop for MB pieces so the price on the body/window is a guess.

Terry

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

The body, or rather the window pieces, is where the value is at. That body with intact windows can fetch a decent price bc the new window pieces doesn’t have a rear.  Maybe $100???  Just a guess...

The rest of the car is worth about $100???

All based on what I see in the photos, and the current market for Blackfoots.  I don’t really shop for MB pieces so the price on the body/window is a guess.

Terry

Thanks Terry ;)

• Like 1