moffman

Real cars v rc cars

This is something which certain members of my family and certain friends (although not immediate family because they know me better than I know myself) think is a bit strange and I must admit it does sometimes cross my mind as odd but I have loved rc cars/buggies/trucks etc all my life since the age of 10 now I'm at the age were I'm looking how my pensions are performing because that's the next big step in my life? Anyway they can't understand how I have so much passion for rc vehicles and definitely not blowing my own trumpet and knowledge of them but I couldn't care less about real cars I have absolutely no interest in anything related to cars other than keeping my own car in good working order so I don't have to spend any money on unforseen repairs! But they don't seem to understand when family (the ones you generally only see at Christmas or big family events) always strike up a conversation about motorsports and I always answer "i don't really follow" F1 etc etc they have always followed the conversation with "oh I just thought because you have always had a radio control car In your hand when we used to see you when you were younger we just thought???" I'm just wondering is anyone else got no interest in the real motor vehicles but have the passion for anything rc? 

• Like 1

Yes I have had similar conversations, as long as the 1:1 car is reliable and has a bit of practicability about it, then that's as far as it goes.....😁

• Like 1

Also people assume I must like any other type of modelling, RC etc etc and now I say it's just "Tamiya off road cars" so I don't get inundated with stuff I don't want!

• Like 1

This is very interesting and I always assumed most RC addicts were into 1:1: cars as well.  I'm not much into following motorsports, but if I'm not at the RC bench then I'm either under the hood of or driving one of my 1:1 cars.  

• Like 3

Yep, I know nothing about road cars... 4 wheels? Different sizes and colours... gets you from place to place.. It a functional tool to me, like a hammer. Though I could spend a long time choosing the right quality hammer. In fact.. I think I spent more time and interest in choosing my last hammer than I did my car.. 

• Haha 2

I am into Tamiya rc cars that look like real cars or are comical. But I seriously like vintage 4x4 vehicles I don't like cars as they take to much to up keep and are a pain to work on I am working on a range rover classic  4 door and that is a bit of a pain to work on but most things are accessible. I do prefer rc cars as they are simple and easy to maintain but I treat them like 1:1 scale cars when building. I am also into lots of other modelling like g gauge, n gauge, Airfix.  

• Like 1

Right now, I am working hard to make the step up to 1:1 as a "natural progression" from 1:10 :P And I do mean "assembly kits"... Already, I kind of wish the 1:1 kits had "pre-painted and cut" bodies :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Doc Hollywood said:

I am into Tamiya rc cars that look like real cars or are comical. But I seriously like vintage 4x4 vehicles I don't like cars as they take to much to up keep and are a pain to work on I am working on a range rover classic  4 door and that is a bit of a pain to work on but most things are accessible. I do prefer rc cars as they are simple and easy to maintain but I treat them like 1:1 scale cars when building. I am also into lots of other modelling like g gauge, n gauge, Airfix.  

I like the balance between RC and real cars.  Obviously RC cars are much easier to build/maintain so when I get a little tired of the strenuous activitity its nice to turn to RC and pull a transmission in under 5 minutes :)  I find it equally as satisfying to work on either so be able to go back and forth depending on my mood is a nice change of pace.

• Like 3

I always look at 1:1 cars as full size Tamiya's ready to get hopups. Not much blue bling available for my MG though. And does the Tamiya Mini Cooper look better than the real thing? 

• Like 1

Great topic. Since cars/trucks were my "special interest" since I first laid eyes on one as a baby, interest in full size cars was always there along Matchbox cars,  scale model cars, RC cars etc. When I grew up, I let my special interest rule my life (unfortunately) and I restored cars professionally for most of my adult life, going through 50 or so of my own in that time. I never left RC though and it always competed for "funding" with my 1:1 car habit. RC has affected my fullsize purchases from time to time. I wouldn't have had VWs or Jeeps in the mix if it hadn't been for my love of the Monster Beetle and Wild Willy.

About 5 years ago or so, I hit a wall with fullsize cars though. It was ****htening to lose interest in something so close to me all my life and it took some time to work out what happened. Part of it was my work experience at the last job I had. It started as one of my best with the original owner and gradually changed into the worst job I ever had when his son took over. The place was run like a reality show, full of gaslighting, backstabbing, practical jokes and manufactured drama with artificial deadlines, etc. Everyone quit, but I stuck it out for a few more years. I can't really look at cars the same way anymore. Its actually traumatic and I know that sounds weird. I'm working on breaking my mind of that kneejerk association between that experience and the car hobby I once loved.

On a practical level, fullsize cars are dirty, heavy, rusty, greasy things that, at some points, will fight you at every possible turn. Do that, day in and day out for decades and it wears on you, burns you out. Finding parts, getting the right parts and then finding out the parts don't fit properly is all part of the deal. That's the beauty of RC and Tamiya specifically. Most of the time (recent Terra Scorcher an exception) Tamiya parts fit and work correctly and are rarely missing from the box. They scratch that unstoppable itch for me to assemble, tweak, modify etc. They're cheaper and take up less space too!

Then there's the driving angle. After I had my daughter, I got hit with the realization that many of the stunts I pulled (and other car guys continue to pull) in my youth could have killed me or worse, innocent bystanders. Plus, if I could drive off road, flat out like some of my RC buggies, my body would be pretty beat up. All I need is a quick look at a Youtube compilation of car "fails" (burnouts, showing off etc.) to remind of how quickly things can get dangerous. RC works just fine for me, thank you (unless you're that poor girl (on Youtube) on a bike that had an Emaxx lobbed in her face-ouch!).

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Doc Hollywood said:

I must admit that although I don't have an interest in real (1:1) cars I can see the appeal of a classic car especially the likes of what your 4x4 is! I'm imagining it's got a certain amount of charm when it was actually designed by an actual designer with the manual equipment to design it (pen and paper) and airfix and the likes requires a different skill which involves good eye sight which I'm afraid is waining a bit with me!

7 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Great topic. Since cars/trucks were my "special interest" since I first laid eyes on one as a baby, interest in full size cars was always there along Matchbox cars,  scale model cars, RC cars etc. When I grew up, I let my special interest rule my life (unfortunately) and I restored cars professionally for most of my adult life, going through 50 or so of my own in that time. I never left RC though and it always competed for "funding" with my 1:1 car habit. RC has affected my fullsize purchases from time to time. I wouldn't have had VWs or Jeeps in the mix if it hadn't been for my love of the Monster Beetle and Wild Willy.

About 5 years ago or so, I hit a wall with fullsize cars though. It was ****htening to lose interest in something so close to me all my life and it took some time to work out what happened. Part of it was my work experience at the last job I had. It started as one of my best with the original owner and gradually changed into the worst job I ever had when his son took over. The place was run like a reality show, full of gaslighting, backstabbing, practical jokes and manufactured drama with artificial deadlines, etc. Everyone quit, but I stuck it out for a few more years. I can't really look at cars the same way anymore. Its actually traumatic and I know that sounds weird. I'm working on breaking my mind of that kneejerk association between that experience and the car hobby I once loved.

On a practical level, fullsize cars are dirty, heavy, rusty, greasy things that, at some points, will fight you at every possible turn. Do that, day in and day out for decades and it wears on you, burns you out. Finding parts, getting the right parts and then finding out the parts don't fit properly is all part of the deal. That's the beauty of RC and Tamiya specifically. Most of the time (recent Terra Scorcher an exception) Tamiya parts fit and work correctly and are rarely missing from the box. They scratch that unstoppable itch for me to assemble, tweak, modify etc. They're cheaper and take up less space too!

Then there's the driving angle. After I had my daughter, I got hit with the realization that many of the stunts I pulled (and other car guys continue to pull) in my youth could have killed me or worse, innocent bystanders. Plus, if I could drive off road, flat out like some of my RC buggies, my body would be pretty beat up. All I need is a quick look at a Youtube compilation of car "fails" (burnouts, showing off etc.) to remind of how quickly things can get dangerous. RC works just fine for me, thank you (unless you're that poor girl (on Youtube) on a bike that had an Emaxx lobbed in her face-ouch!).

You know what I think a lot of people can relate to this in general?  If you haven't done some totally dumb things and then admitted to yourself "God that was stupid what were you thinking" you can't then learn from it???

1 hour ago, Lee76 said:

Yep, I know nothing about road cars... 4 wheels? Different sizes and colours... gets you from place to place.. It a functional tool to me, like a hammer. Though I could spend a long time choosing the right quality hammer. In fact.. I think I spent more time and interest in choosing my last hammer than I did my car.. 

I asked the wife to choose my next car! I just said get me the same car ( Ford focus) because it has been very reliable but not black because it's the colour I have now........she politely (not that politely actually) declined?

• Sad 1

Yeah got a healthy/unhealthy interest in 1:1.

I like doing mods too, it's just like hopping up a tamiya kit, but bigger! 

Wish I could stick it on charge overnight though :lol:

Screenshot_20201206_155619.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Lee76 said:

I think I spent more time and interest in choosing my last hammer than I did my car

I bet it was an Estwing ?

• Like 2

I have always loved 1:1 cars, if it has an engine and wheels then yes absolutely right up my street.

Motor bikes, tractors, muscle cars, air cooled, pick ups, pretty much most things ever since I was a little kid. 

But definitely no time, money or space for anything like that anymore, but Tamiya works well as a alternative and as I’m getting older, then getting there safely is more important than how quickly 😉

• Like 2

Good topic, I have no interest in motorsport or modern performance cars but I do like  classic cars and own a citroen 2cv and previously had a couple of old land Rovers. I choose my every day cars based on economy, reliability and practicality.   

My interest in classic cars and rc cars are for the same reasons I think, nostalgia and mechanical tinkering. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wez-li said:

Wow, nice wheels! Any infos about them? Looks like ainversed ATS wheel from the seventies/eighties!:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wez-li said:

Do they still make the Audi TT? Future classic car I'm thinking?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, moffman said:

Do they still make the Audi TT? Future classic car I'm thinking?

Yeah they still make it, not for much longer though I reckon. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

Wow, nice wheels! Any infos about them? Looks like ainversed ATS wheel from the seventies/eighties!:)

Thanks, they're fifteen52 R43. 

I've not seen another TT with them B)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KEV THE REV said:

I bet it was an Estwing ?

Good hammers those :) How’d you guess?  You can get modern speciality heads, titanium ‘shock absorbing’ and composite shafts etc. But a good solid steel, std claw hammer will be around for hundreds of years after I’m gone :) 

6 minutes ago, Lee76 said:

Good hammers those :) How’d you guess?  You can get modern speciality heads, titanium ‘shock absorbing’ and composite shafts etc. But a good solid steel, std claw hammer will be around for hundreds of years after I’m gone :) 

I've got 2 different ones , - had them for ever - trade tools , they run along with the Dewalts etc

• Like 1

I’m the opposite. If it has wheels and some form of propulsion, I’m interested.

This is my 1:1 toy but I prefer working on RCs because parts are cheaper and I can work on them indoors where it’s warm:D

65B0DAFD-5C17-4381-A4CA-6362CB6E7C31.jpeg

• Like 8