Nwc100

Body panel tape?

I've watched a few videos with some bodies being having the panel and door lines taped up with really thin black tape from a dispenser.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of something suitable to use please.

We have in incoming TA03RS Porsche and as I don't think it will get much use I'd like to put a bit more effort into its body.

Likewise on the tyres If anyone has any good links to tyre decals as it will probably have a set of good wheels for shelf duty.

Many thanks.

Nick

On this topic, the one thing I've always wondered is how you keep the panel line tape from peeling off, since it's so slim and presumably has less "sticking power" than normal decals do. Do people spray their bodies in a clear PS paint to "lock" them in?

• Like 1

ABC Hobby (the M body people) offer a thin black tape. No matter how well you apply it, though, it will move around or just fall off with use. I've cleared over it, which helps. Pretty much shelf use only.

Tamiya just released a fine line tape on regular vinyl decal material, which should improve durability. 

My favorite so far has been #1 pencil over PS55 flat clear. I use plain black electrical tape to set the edges. It gives a nice natural look, although it only works on flat surfaces. Really sets off truck bodies.

Panel lines add that "somethin' special" to touring car bodies, and I've been looking for that perfect and durable tape for years. The best tape has been trimmings from decals, so I'm looking forward to trying the Tamiya pinstripes.

• Like 1

There’s some Kyosho micron tape too to throw into the mix, agree that clear coat over the top is best. Is this a hard body job or a lexan type? There are better ways of getting panel lines on hard bodies.

759281B3-2925-410A-9927-A28605EA705C.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies and the tape is exactly what I'm after, I'm wondering if it would be possible to use it on the inside and then spray over it? Just wondering if anyone has tried that?

I’ve an idea.. though purely theoretical as I have no experience... What about applying the micron tape, then use a spray mask and  cut out/peel off the micron tape and spray the seam with polycarbonate spray?

You can buy very thin black tape on ebay for very cheap in different thickness.  After I apply it, I heat it a little with a hairdryer.  This makes it softer and better for curves and also helps its its stick better.  The tape probably would not hold up on a runner but on my shelfers it stays put just fine over the years.

Here is a link to some of that tape, but there are many options.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Artist-Graphic-Tape-1-32-Black-Matte-4-Pack-Whitboard-Pannel-line-Hobby-Tape/153379968223?hash=item23b62894df:g:ELIAAOSwvMVcZwnJ

As for tire decals, I suggest MCI Racing and I also have a guy that can do small custom sets too..

Here is an example of both

Jager956.JPG

Jager 956-2.JPG

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Lee76 said:

I’ve an idea.. though purely theoretical as I have no experience... What about applying the micron tape, then use a spray mask and  cut out/peel off the micron tape and spray the seam with polycarbonate spray?

If anything I would try this technique. The only caution is you’d want to make sure your main color is backed well enough before you remove tape and  spray the hairline panel line details so your black for the lines doesn’t bleed through your main color 

I've used the Kyosho micron line for years and it works great; stays stuck and handles compound curves without issue. A while back I tried the ABC stuff and was a bit disappointed that it didn't perform as well as the micron line. The ABC tape feels like normal decal material, while Kyosho's has the consistency of very fine masking tape.

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but Tamiya now makes their own body panel lines that comes as a full decal sheet that you cut yourself. Judging by my experiences with Tamiya decal material, I have no doubt that the quality is very good.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/accessories/rc-pin-stripe-stickers/

• Like 1

Just now, Problemchild said:

Fine sharpie works ok too :)

You’re a braver man than I and with a steadier hand too :)

Just now, Lee76 said:

You’re a braver man than I and with a steadier hand too :)

If you go wrong then a cotton bud and some paint remover and it comes right off

JJ

I didn't really think I'd have got quite as many ideas, I've been saving up all the drink bottles at home and will order up some tape, Sharpies and a new hairdryer and have a few practice runs and see what works for me, I've got time over Christmas and plenty of paint to work with as well.

Thanks for all the great ideas.