Mrowka

Anyone ever put Beetle/Scorpion wheels on a re re Ultima?

Have an Ultima re re waiting to be built but the wheels turn me off. A bit too eighties, and I am not nostalgic for my childhood and youth. Beetle/Scorpion wheels seem like a logical substitute, and don't offend my aesthetics.

Also, will re re Ultima tires (or "tyres" for non-US readers ;) ) fit Beetle/Scorpion wheels?

The fronts will bolt on directly, as both use the same 4x8mm bearings. For the rears, you'll have to get creative. The Scorpion et al doesn't use 12mm hexes; it's a flat knurled adapter (called a "drive washer" in the manual) that just presses against the back of the wheel. And the rear axles are 6mm, not 5, and quite a bit longer. You might be able to use Scorpion axles, along with non-flanged 6x10mm bearings and the drive washers, but don't quote me on that...

Front wheels are the same size, but Scorpion rears are smaller: 1.6" instead of 1.9".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I fitted Tomahawk wheels to my Scorcher , a bit of fettling of the rear plate and wheel and 850 bearings in the front ,  anything is possible with a bit of thought . I'm working on Hornet rears to fit onto Ultima 2wd front

blacked roll bar .JPG

P3170005.JPG

• Like 4

On 12/9/2020 at 9:06 AM, markbt73 said:

The fronts will bolt on directly, as both use the same 4x8mm bearings. For the rears, you'll have to get creative. The Scorpion et al doesn't use 12mm hexes; it's a flat knurled adapter (called a "drive washer" in the manual) that just presses against the back of the wheel. And the rear axles are 6mm, not 5, and quite a bit longer. You might be able to use Scorpion axles, along with non-flanged 6x10mm bearings and the drive washers, but don't quote me on that...

Front wheels are the same size, but Scorpion rears are smaller: 1.6" instead of 1.9".

Would it be possible to bust out with a 6mm drill bit and drill out the Scorpion/Beetle rear wheels? 

That doesn't solve the drive washer problem, however.

Also, I question whether the drive washer setup will hold any kind of power, especially on a 2WD buggy. Kyosho probably didn't change their setup because it looked so much prettier.

On 12/10/2020 at 5:36 PM, Mrowka said:

Would it be possible to bust out with a 6mm drill bit and drill out the Scorpion/Beetle rear wheels? 

That doesn't solve the drive washer problem, however.

Also, I question whether the drive washer setup will hold any kind of power, especially on a 2WD buggy. Kyosho probably didn't change their setup because it looked so much prettier.

Theoretically, yes. But in practice you will inevitably be a bit off centre and you will end up with wheels that are off centre and make your car drive like a rodeo bull.

Yeah, this is a problem with the Ultima series wheels. I am not a fan of the weird fronts either. +1 on the JC racing wheels. I used those for my XX4 restoration.

• Like 1