Sign in to follow this  
foz75

Weathering/painting techniques

I'm not sure this is either the correct section or even forum for this so please move as necessary! I've seen a lot of builds, usually of the "scale" type, that have some amazing, realistic and detailed paint and finishing, and I'd like to try something similar myself but have no idea where to start. Can anyone give any hints, tips, help, etc? I'm not sure yet if lexan or ABS body shell, but assume it will easier with ABS? Where's the best place to learn about model painting ? Thanks!

There are loads of youtube tutorials for painting, detailing and weathering, lots of highly skilled gundam and diorama model makers  where the skills are transferable. There are loads of really skilled builders on here too all super helpful, your best bet is once you’ve decided what it is you want to paint, post a couple of sample pictures from Pinterest or google image search of the effect you want and you’ll have an avalanche of advice pour on you.  If you want to stick to generic advice though, just browse youtube for model painting/spraying you’ll lose a week in video watching. :)

I'd suggest having a look a JennyMo's builds on here, she does excellent scale detailing that's still driveable. Don't forget a lot of non RC scale modelling weathering and detailing materials are not waterproof.

Retro Desmond - aka. 'The Big BJ' - aka. Trigger's Broom - Monster Trucks, 4x4, Wheelie Rigs and Crawlers - Tamiyaclub.com

Thanks, I've already seen JennyMo's builds, and if I can get results only half as good as those, I'll be happy! Waterproof wouldn't be an absolute necessity, but would be very good, just in case...

I'm fascinated by the many many beetle bug crawler builds on the internet in general. My long term plan, after too many hours of research and youtubing, is something like an MST CMX with a sand scorcher body. 

My vintage hornet I got off eBay was painted on the outside of the poly carbonate  so as original decal came off and scratches happened overtime it pulled a lot of the paint with it. To turn this chipping and flaking into a feature rather than a flaw I did the following. I applied a “real rust “mix of actual rusted steel wool water into an oxide brown acrylic craft store paint by dabbing the inside with a price of foam sponge. After this dried I backed it with some automotive silver spray paint ( I’m sure someone will say I should have used proper polycarbonate paint but this is what I had handy) 

Below is the result.

long term I plan to paint an OD green around the rear fenders and lower half of the body and the side windows black to give the weathered buggy a Boba Fett inspired look  

Apologies for the site losing the image sideways. Side note . I also have a new body on order which I will probably paint a metallic blue with box art decals. 106E88A4-9E78-4A14-BCE7-89A9238704D6.jpeg.b1f5cce8046f7711c833edfbe87c2967.jpeg

106E88A4-9E78-4A14-BCE7-89A9238704D6.jpeg

• Like 1

My FJ40 (lexan body) was first painted on the inside as normal with bright gun metal PS paint. After that I added rust color (Vallejo) on several spots on the outside of the body. These spots (and random other spots) where covered with chipping fluid (Vallejo). Next the color green (and red for the hood) was sparyed on the outside with TS paint. This also gives a nice semi matt finish. Next is the magic stage: scratch the body with what ever you like (abrasive sponge for example) on the spots where the chipping fluid is applied. Because the TS paint is not suited for lexan and because of the chipping fluid the rust and metal appear. Even better: when using your car new scrachtes will be visible after each run.

FJ40 4 klein.JPG

FJ40 3 klein.JPG

FJ40 bumper.JPG

Wow, that looks really good, and not too complicated either! What exactly does the chipping fluid do? And does the TS paint damage the lexan in anyway? Is it easy enough to remove or paint over if required? I've only ever used it on ABS bodies