Sign in to follow this  
slimleeroy

Paint help

Hi guys anyone used Halfords clear lacquer over tamiya ts paints?  Good or bad?  Thanks. Looking to do a bruiser body with ts-15 and want to lawyer over the top.  

Yeah! but I must admit I didn't get a brilliant gloss shine with it and It was a bruiser body! Even after I buffed it up still not the best It went on super glossy I got really excited but then it dried far less of a shine! 

img37842_17072014212234_2_1100_.jpg

7 minutes ago, moffman said:

Yeah! but I must admit I didn't get a brilliant gloss shine with it and It was a bruiser body! Even after I buffed it up still not the best It went on super glossy I got really excited but then it dried far less of a shine! 

img37842_17072014212234_2_1100_.jpg

Did it affect the paint underneath. I've heard horror stories. How long did you leave paint to dry before applying lawyer. Thanks

• Like 1

I've got no experience of using Halfords lacquer over TS paints (if using TS I would use Tamiya's own lacquer, if painting a hard body I usually use Halfords paints anyway) however I do have experience of the nozzle on Halfords lacquer spraying huge globules of lacquer over the body.  I guess the lacquer is a bit thicker than their other paints and it tends to pool around the rim, if you're not careful the pool will get big enough to be picked up when you press the nozzle again and thrown at the body in big splatters, which will ruin the paint job.

Pay attention to the rim and nozzle and wipe away any excess between sprays.

as long as it is the same type of lacquer as the paint ie acrylic i used car spares shop lacquer on my bruiser but if it a glass shine your after try 2k clear i have used it on both my truck shells with amazing results even without having to sand or buff IMG_20190919_142849.thumb.jpg.7cecf78bd819f3e44aad2578e341132a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, topforcein said:

as long as it is the same type of lacquer as the paint ie acrylic i used car spares shop lacquer on my bruiser but if it a glass shine your after try 2k clear i have used it on both my truck shells with amazing results even without having to sand or buff IMG_20190919_142849.thumb.jpg.7cecf78bd819f3e44aad2578e341132a.jpg

Love it!

11 hours ago, slimleeroy said:

Did it affect the paint underneath. I've heard horror stories. How long did you leave paint to dry before applying lawyer. Thanks

No the paint underneath was fine it just went on very glossy then it was like it just wasn't there? TBH I can't remember how long between coats it was a fair few years ago but it was a really hot day because I left it out in the sun! I got a much better result with clear acrylic paint with humbrol with this bruiser 

20190707_214905.jpg

This is all Halfords paint and lacquer on it, my eagerness to get to done did it no real favours but parts of it came out quite nicely, after 5 months or so of running it certainly doesn't look the same anymore!DSC_2343.thumb.JPG.221ab10cbfb32f87763dff9fd8b1356c.JPG