toyolien

M-Chassis Damper Confusion...

I noticed that an option part for the M07 is a pair of 'short' carbon damper stays to use with 'short' dampers. I just wondered what advantage these give, and if it's noticeable why the kit didn't come with these instead?

Also, 'standard' vs 'big bore' dampers. Any thoughts?

And lastly, what is the eye to eye length for standard dampers vs short dampers.

Thanks. I'm just trying to get my head around which dampers are which.

The M-07 is a bit odd in that in stock form it is designed to take standard 55mm touring dampers rather than M-chassis ones. The short carbon damper stays allow the use of 50mm M-chassis dampers like other M-chassis cars. I suppose the advantage would be that they give you damper interchangeability with the rest of your M-fleet?

That's probably why I'm confused.

After reading this article about the 42273 dampers, I assumed the standard M-chassis dampers were 55mm not 50mm

https://www.thercracer.com/2014/11/42273-tamiya-trf-short-type-dampers.html

1. Tamiya 42102 TRF Special Hard black Damper  61mm
  2. Tamiya 42273 TRF Short Type Dampers             57mm
  3. Tamiya 54000 M Chassis Aluminium Damper     55mm

And then the 54000 info from Tamiya says they are 2mm shorter :

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/54000/index.htm

Could that refer to their length with the longer lower eyelets fitted perhaps?

Aah, maybe. I thought Tamiya would have a definitive listing of which dampers are which length and diameter, but it would appear not.

I have installed 42273 on my M07, and they were well short with the standard carbon damper stays. I had to then order the "short" carbon damper stays so that it sits at a reasonable height above the ground.

2 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

I have installed 42273 on my M07, and they were well short with the standard carbon damper stays. I had to then order the "short" carbon damper stays so that it sits at a reasonable height above the ground.

@DeadMeat666Do you notice any difference over the stock dampers?

Bumping for updates. Anyone who’s upgraded their M-chassis dampers please share your experiences and specify which kit you used. Also wondering if anyone has upgraded the M-08 dampers?

Here’s my experience over the past year:

I do know that from at least the M06 forward are equipped with 50mm dampers. 55mm can be used without much difference in ride height. I’d suggest the 55mm length for bumpy asphalt and the 50mm for smooth asphalt. Soft springs coupled with soft Tamiya damper fluid adds a lot of traction for parking lots and is very enjoyable to drive.

The plastic Tamiya CVA set is simple, cost effective and perform perfectly.

Yeah Racing makes the Qutus set that can be built 50mm or 55mm.  They can also be built in a click-to-adjust fashion where the dampers must be fully extended and the shaft rotated.  Doing so will open up an additional hole in the piston with each click.  It is best to build YR’s dampers with only the supplied parts.  I attempted to use the TRF X-ring seals and they leaked.  After a rebuild with the kit-supplied seals there were no further leaks. These are not as buttery smooth as the TRF dampers, but are budget friendly and look the part. I think either the alloy is soft or the machining is slightly rough.

3racing M4 Pro dampers are a decent option.  Not as smooth as the Tamiya sets, but they are a good set of aluminum bodied big bores.

Tamiya TRF’s are the top-shelf option, no doubt.  Better yet, add the X-rings.  Buttery smooth, threaded bodies, high grade alloy, flawless finish, Delrin pistons with no burrs.

The differences between all of these dampers is minuscule.  If they are built using ae’s Green Slime in the seals, you’ll have a great set of dampers regardless of which set is selected. If you are upgrading from friction dampers, any of these will put a grin on your face.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Room335 said:

Bumping for updates. Anyone who’s upgraded their M-chassis dampers please share your experiences and specify which kit you used. Also wondering if anyone has upgraded the M-08 dampers?

My Tamiya M-07 and M-08 use the Yeah Racing Shock Gear 50mm dampers. The M-07 needed the short shock towers to make them fit, but they fit the M-08 in stock form. TRFs they are not, but they are great for the price!

• Thanks 1

basically any 50mm damper set will fit with lowered carbon shock stays. 
Yeah Racing do have something nice and cheap. 

42273 kit is every hard to find now.