Mechanic AH

A Photo of Your Most Recent Tamiya RC/Build

I like seeing photos of what people have been up to on some threads. I mostly like looking at finished kits/builds and interesting custom work because it gets me inspired and excited. Anyone want to share one or two photos of their most recent Tamiya build or RC? And a short note on why you chose the kit and if it lived up to your expectations? Thanks!

And by the way, it can be any kit, doesn't always have to be something crazy. Even beginner/entry-level stuff is cool

• Like 5

5qAL6Ph.jpg

My first Rally i have ever done. Always enjoyed Rally Racing.

Thanx to 78Triumph for info to jump onto this build.

it comes down to the build itself and what story line i think of at the time to keep it even more exciting to build and drive.

I like the History i create it to be.

And there is always some one here has a different idea of things i may not have thought of and then a another kit arrives at the door and the cycle of life continues.

Oh and all the wonderful products be it hop ups and or tools.

Most of my inspiration and including here at the Tamiya Club are my 1/32 scale slot cars , models and Hot Wheels.

i maybe 57 and can't drive 55, but as long as i breathe i'll be building something.

Great Thread Mechanic AH

• Like 15

Junk and hobby corner as it stands. The Hilux is the last built, with the Defender that was the previous build

IMG_20201208_204936.jpg

• Like 9

My latest almost finished build was a Phat Bodies Mini body on an M-08 chassis.

I'd bought the body first as I just liked the look of it. Then miraculously found an M-08 chassis in Oz for a decent price in the middle of RC stocks disappearing fast off shelves this year. Always fancied an M chassis and I do like rear wheel drives.  Not technically correct for a Mini I know but they do exist so it was all about he fun factor. A lot of people said if you're going to get an M chassis then go for the 07 or 08's as they are far superior to the 05's and 06's. I have an 05 but its only been run once mainly as my NiMH stick pack died and the newer chassis's take my square LiPo. I just need to finish of the grille, headlights and tail lights. I've got some Angel eye headlights on the way I'd like to try for it and was considering a mock V8 or something sitting in the back? Work in progress as they say.

It is a hoot to drive on a Sport tuned motor and was very nice to build, here it is doing its thing on some Postal Racing.

F814B11D-E573-4FE1-9452-AF1144CFF787.jpg

F34CA43E-2C2A-43CF-9473-FDF8C1B13A2F.jpg

• Like 20

My latest was also an M-08.

2020-08-31_02-56-57

It wears an MX-5 shell painted in the distinctive orange of the 30th Anniversary full-size edition. 

2020-08-31_02-53-47

I chose it because I was mightily impressed by the M-07, and was hoping that its RWD sibling would be similarly impressive. I was not disappointed. 😁

• Like 16

XV-01T turned rally.

As discussed in my other post, stock standard ATM, just switched out the core T bumper and wheels to make into Rally spec.

Originally had Tamiya 240z (Datsun) body ready to go, but as i purchased each (kit and body) a good year or more apart, wasn't paying attention to size, and only realised after the build that the 240z has 250mm wheelbase compared to the 257 of XV-01 <_<

As a result had to find a cheap local alternative, as didn't want to wait around for delivery this time of year; and a found a cheap Civic EG6 at LHS, from BodyWorx brand. Overall proportions and look aren't too bad, but the detail is pretty limited; so only very basic panel lines, radiator, front grill and rear number plate area are all flat, so no actual shape in the mold, and decals were limited to lights, radiator, windscreen wipers and door handles.

Did a random selection of other decals from various kits left laying around, so some from Frog, Hotshot, McLaren F1 (the bigger Honda logos), and a random sheet from LHS.

Overall, for a basher shell that's going to take a severe beating, I'm happy. Only a couple very small paint bleeds.

As a result, i also decided to try something new. Since the body didn't come with any door or window decals, and as mentioned very basic/single panel lines in the mold - meaning there are no window or door frames to give the body a more realistic look - i improvised.

Went to local electrical store and picked up some heat shrinking.

Originally, i tried 1.5mm heat shrink tubing; under the hair dryer shrinking it down to about 1mm in diameter (perfect fit for the panel lines in the mold) and then attempting to apply it around the panel lines. Unfortunately trying to get it to adhere to the lexan wasn't as easy as i first thought. Traditional Tamiya (or other) cement didn't work at all, so i ended up trying Gorilla Grip Clear; which i know people use for internal light buckets and other things they need to adhere to inside of shell. The glue worked on my off-cut tests fine, but i found trying to get a sufficient yet small enough amount that didn't spread around the 1mm thickness and onto the body proper, was near impossible - at least for the length of runs i was going to attempt - though I'm sure with more patience i could have done it.

So instead i opted for heat shrink tape; came in a roll 25mm wide and the tape (really rubber with adhesive backing) was 2mm thick.

First off, i measured the various window trims with string to determine the lengths required; then i cut the tape in 2mm wide strips to match those lengths.

Next was a matter of positioning on the body, and taping down as required. Once taped down, run the hair dryer on high around/over the tape and applying some pressure, activated the adhesive on the back of the tape sticking it to the lexan body with relative ease. In a few instances, where curves were required on the back window and windscreen, it was a matter of steps, lay down and tape a straight section up-to the curve, blast with hair dryer to get adhesion; wait for a 30mins or so, then come back and do the next stretch with the curve. All the while taping as required to ensure new run adheres and the previous run remains intact - as obviously the hair dryer will begin to lift the previous sections if not careful.

The end result, didn't look too bad. Not sure if the photos do it justice (despite my very questionable alignment)

I ended up doing the door windows, windscreen and rear window.

The windscreen was the most annoying as the tight curves around the top were beyond what the 2mmx2mm rubber would bend too. I eventually got it flat and stuck, but took a lot of pressure and multiple hits with tape and hair dryer. The doors were much easier, but i did them in multiple sections/pieces, as opposed to trying to bend shape 1 single strip.

In hindsight i think doing the windscreen in multiple pieces, and using a single (cut specifically) for the doors would give better results. But again a basher shell, so not too fussed.

TBH i think given my learnings here, and taking more time, precision and patience, i honestly think i could see myself using this approach even on a more detailed shell, as it gives more tactile look and feel that window trim decals or paint just cant achieve.

The plus side too, applying hair dryer removes them without damaging the shell, as does spraying them with isopropyl.

xv01-eg6.jpg

xv01-eg6-rubberseals-wip.jpg

xv01-eg6-rubberseals.jpg

heatshrink-tape.jpg

• Like 12

Another one that built an M08, great fun and certainly a different direction than the older m-chassis cars. Although it is more race orientated and refined, I think it loses the uniqueness and character of the 1-6 chassis. 

Sorry, should take some more /new photos of it.

au6bPxz.jpg

Qb0f0gz.jpg

JYGTtxO.jpg

o3kaz0u.jpg

Only real upgrades are shocks, motor and pinion at the moment, but that is because I have been focusing on the previous models, spending money trying to locate hard to find parts. Will get to this car soon 😎

Edited by berman
Extra pics added
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Wetman said:

Junk and hobby corner as it stands. The Hilux is the last built, with the Defender that was the previous build

IMG_20201208_204936.jpg

What's the trailer type thing? Above the lamp.

Last 3 builds over the last couple of weeks (I know you asked for 1, but couldn’t resist)

TT02 SR

50622920086_3df543565c_k.jpg

FF03 Pro

50623505526_46aeed4e1d_k.jpg

TT01E

50701123012_1d7ee5efbb_k.jpg

• Like 16

8 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

Last 3 builds over the last couple of weeks (I know you asked for 1, but couldn’t resist)

TT02 SR

50622920086_3df543565c_k.jpg

Are they custom decals on the Rex ? i cant think of many liveries that ran fluorescent yellow/green ?

Asking, as been trying to find some places locally in AUS that do custom decals, as have an idea for a body floating around in my head, but will require custom decals, as i don't trust my ability to mask out and paint with enough precision; too many curves.

• Like 1

My last Tamiya build is my XV-01 which I acquired last July. Then my next build was the CFX which is non-Tamiya.

Hu7tzRUh.jpg

5JYpUf7h.jpg

uqeOp3zh.jpg

PIIxxFvh.jpg

My next build would be a 313mm crawler. Definitely not a Tamiya too. :lol:

• Like 15

1 minute ago, Ryz82 said:

Are they custom decals on the Rex ? i cant think of many liveries that ran fluorescent yellow/green ?

Asking, as been trying to find some places locally in AUS that do custom decals, as have an idea for a body floating around in my head, but will require custom decals, as i don't trust my ability to mask out and paint with enough precision; too many curves.

Those aren’t custom, just the kit decals (58273 kit).

I know he’s busy for now, but @yogi-bear has done custom stickers before, you could potentially request him to make you something, he’s extremely talented with stuff like that, otherwise it’s MCI I guess from Canada 

2 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

Those aren’t custom, just the kit decals (58273 kit).

I know he’s busy for now, but @yogi-bear has done custom stickers before, you could potentially request him to make you something, he’s extremely talented with stuff like that, otherwise it’s MCI I guess from Canada 

Maybe just seeing on the black shell threw me off, comes across way more fluorescent than i expected.

Have thought about MCI, as already wanted to get a couple of his OG sets; wasn't sure if he was completely open to custom designs if send artwork through though. Will hit him up once i have my concept fleshed out and see what he offers. Though i like the idea of a local AUS contact, make things a bit easier, so might reach out to @yogi-bear also in the new year. Cheers

2 minutes ago, Ryz82 said:

Maybe just seeing on the black shell threw me off, comes across way more fluorescent than i expected.

Have thought about MCI, as already wanted to get a couple of his OG sets; wasn't sure if he was completely open to custom designs if send artwork through though. Will hit him up once i have my concept fleshed out and see what he offers. Though i like the idea of a local AUS contact, make things a bit easier, so might reach out to @yogi-bear also in the new year. Cheers

whereabouts are you in AUS?

Just now, yogi-bear said:

whereabouts are you in AUS?

SA.

Obviously states apart, but general timezones and postage related matters i always find easier when as local as possible, compared to OS

6 minutes ago, Ryz82 said:

SA.

Obviously states apart, but general timezones and postage related matters i always find easier when as local as possible, compared to OS

cool, not too far away (I'm from SA myself, have lots of family there and on Kangaroo Island).

and so as not to completely derail the thread, this is the last major RC I did, a bit of vac forming in 1.5 mm ABS. I'll have two weeks off over Christmas, so my plan is to get back into this, especially since I now have a source of 1 mm Polycarbonate sheeting. The sad thing is these photos was taken in May :huh:  

last-RC-activity-1.jpeg

last-RC-activity-3.jpeg

and a resin cast of a cockpit that I try and vac form in 1 mm polystyrene or PETG. Its not perfect, but it will do me :D

last-RC-activity-4.jpeg

• Like 9

My latest is an M06, or what I also like to refer to as my "what would you do to an M06 if you had an  unlimited budget and no imagination" project. The body (MX5) still needs to be painted, but otherwise it's pretty much done. 

IMG-20201205-025447.jpg

• Like 9

Not tamiya, or even electric! 🙄😬

Had the Schuamcher Fusion for a few years, and kept threatening to sell it on, but they're worth peanuts, so have kept it for when I've the notion for some on-road noise. 

Still ran and drove , but a little worse for wear (I'd taken the pipe off before I figured I'd take pics..)

2020-05-14_07-17-44

New belt, diffs, wheels/tyres ,bearings , clutch and a bit of elbow grease....

(Turned out, it needed bearings in the pinion bell too, they where seized, so on the test fire , it drove itself off the work bench, scattering everything everywhere....🙄🤬)

2020-05-14_07-19-45

Went with a early Bullnose 2nd gen TransAm body, in the "Cannonball " livery. Looking into heat proofing material for inside the roof, and may need to slot the windscreen (or remove) and rear screen ,for actually running it, and a ,cannonball , stickers , but thinking I'll need to print my own.

2020-07-31_10-24-47

A body arrived a few months back for another tamiya build, and hopefully get some time next year...

2020-12-13_10-23-53

And the motor (although, it'll probably share the motor with the 'Mad dukes' beach runner.

2020-07-28_03-56-14

Also test fitted its power supply, mainly as Facebook is full of drama queens , and cry real tears ,at the suggestion of brushless and lipo in a tamiya, so 5700kv on 4s should keep Kleenex in business for a while....😏

2019-03-23_10-17-39

• Like 6

The most recent build is a WR02 VW bus with many year racing hop ups I had to tweak the hop ups as the springs that came with the shocks were not strong enough on the back so I used the ones from the kit now it's perfect but on the front it has the most heavy duty springs that came with the shocks. Also I had a play with the driver by trying different painting styles to make him more realistic. I love how it handles and drives and looks  

Before this I built a re re monster beetle and am in the process of rebuilding my all black fast attack as it was completely worn out and kept popping it's drive shafts out.

001_optimized.jpg

002_optimized.jpg

003_optimized.jpg

004_optimized.jpg

005_optimized.jpg

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, DrGoatboy said:

My latest build, really should get round to finishing it!

IMG_20201115_224817_Bokeh__01.jpg

Havent seen a Bear Hawk in god knows how long.

Obviously not new, as has not been re-re, so guessing NIB pickup from somewhere ?

• Like 1

I've been looking at all the above excellent examples of people's latest creations and I forgot what the title of the thread was?.......my latest build were my avante black (tbh was a few months ago but it just give me an excuse to take it off the shelf and look at it) and my super astute which I finished yesterday after months of building it then deciding I didn't like certain things on it and constantly changing it so this is as it is today but that could change?

20201213_111727.jpg

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, Ryz82 said:

Havent seen a Bear Hawk in god knows how long.

Obviously not new, as has not been re-re, so guessing NIB pickup from somewhere ?

Nope, just a refreshed eBay purchase. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigJag said:

What's the trailer type thing? Above the lamp.

A trailer type thing :D. Nah its an  attempt at a car transporter trailer I had a go at knocking up but never got round to finishing, think over the christmas holidays its going to get taken apart and changed a little bit and hopefully finished with some type of ramp arrangement at the back

for me it would be the trailer that was my last build the cab came a while before  and that has been a couple of years back and i have not brought another kit since hopefully that will change next year

i have sprayed a new shell a month back but am waiting on wheels before i show pics

IMG_20190720_150040.thumb.jpg.f99042f4152888cebb1e68b3d24e7fc9.jpg

• Like 11