Mechanic AH

A Photo of Your Most Recent Tamiya RC/Build

Ok, enough is enough.

Where's the the "I LIKE IT A LOT BUTTON"?

Dang guys' they're all fargin Radical.

to think almost 40 years ago i'd be building this many RC contraptions and then later end up here at the Tamiya Club and still have the same feeling i did back then.

It's wonderful to be inspired by the talent and showmanship here.

I can die now with a smile.

• Like 6

Ok, I realize that this is a dangerous thread. I see so many good ones, and to be honest, I'm not supposed to add more kits to my list or even think about it. I can wait and not be impulsive, but the problem is that the supply of kits and parts don't wait.

I was debating on a Lancia rally and the first thing I see is @ACCEL's latest build. Is that a sign? haha.

8 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

My latest almost finished build was a Phat Bodies Mini body on an M-08 chassis.

I'd bought the body first as I just liked the look of it. Then miraculously found an M-08 chassis in Oz for a decent price in the middle of RC stocks disappearing fast off shelves this year. Always fancied an M chassis and I do like rear wheel drives.  Not technically correct for a Mini I know but they do exist so it was all about he fun factor. A lot of people said if you're going to get an M chassis then go for the 07 or 08's as they are far superior to the 05's and 06's. I have an 05 but its only been run once mainly as my NiMH stick pack died and the newer chassis's take my square LiPo. I just need to finish of the grille, headlights and tail lights. I've got some Angel eye headlights on the way I'd like to try for it and was considering a mock V8 or something sitting in the back? Work in progress as they say.

It is a hoot to drive on a Sport tuned motor and was very nice to build, here it is doing its thing on some Postal Racing.

F814B11D-E573-4FE1-9452-AF1144CFF787.jpg

@Re-Bugged glad to see someone using a Phat body. That looks cool :O! How is the quality and detailing on the shell ? I'm waiting for one to arrive (but it's a different mini body) and I just took a gamble. Now I have a couple of shells before even having a chassis :(.

8 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

My latest was also an M-08.

2020-08-31_02-56-57

It wears an MX-5 shell painted in the distinctive orange of the 30th Anniversary full-size edition. 

I chose it because I was mightily impressed by the M-07, and was hoping that its RWD sibling would be similarly impressive. I was not disappointed. 😁

@TurnipJF that RWD M-08 looks pretty sweet. Looks good you don't even need a body on it. So tempting.

6 hours ago, DrGoatboy said:

My latest build, really should get round to finishing it!

IMG_20201115_224817_Bokeh__01.jpg

That Bear Hawk would be an ideal custom project for me :).

1 hour ago, topforcein said:

for me it would be the trailer that was my last build the cab came a while before  and that has been a couple of years back and i have not brought another kit since hopefully that will change next year

i have sprayed a new shell a month back but am waiting on wheels before i show pics

IMG_20190720_150040.thumb.jpg.f99042f4152888cebb1e68b3d24e7fc9.jpg

@topforcein Always like seeing these large trucks. I probably won't have space for the trailer, but the cab, one day.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, topforcein said:

for me it would be the trailer that was my last build the cab came a while before  and that has been a couple of years back and i have not brought another kit since hopefully that will change next year

i have sprayed a new shell a month back but am waiting on wheels before i show pics

IMG_20190720_150040.thumb.jpg.f99042f4152888cebb1e68b3d24e7fc9.jpg

I love the bid rigs, there's a channel on YouTube and these guys have races doing course's a round cones, loading and unloading with folk lift trucks. They have all sorts of different types of rigs. I would love to build one I think they are great.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, yogi-bear said:

last-RC-activity-4.jpeg

Looks lile just the man I need to speak - have you got a build thread on how you do this running somewhere as i dont want to derail this one but that pic there could be the answer for me

My most recently finished car - hopped up M05-RA from back in the summer. It hasn't been off-road yet but had fun in an abandoned car park with my M04.

77696893-AEAE-45C8-8B04-CB0368EE863A.jpg

17EA7742-7BED-487D-98FB-A416735D8390.jpg

Really pleased as I actually finished and ran a car!

• Like 8

Painted and decaled a new shell for my restored vintage Hornet  . PS-30 blue, because I wanted box art decals but something other than box art black on the paint. 

F7FACEC0-14CF-446D-8FBB-1EA18F232040.jpeg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

Looks lile just the man I need to speak - have you got a build thread on how you do this running somewhere as i dont want to derail this one but that pic there could be the answer for me

build thread for the vac former is here. I'll need to update it with the casting of the cockpit though. Will do so later this week. Nothing too hard though, its just been sprayed with release agent and filled with resin I got from the auto store. I added some aluminium power, which gave it the grey look, but really I don't think that was needed in the end. I also should have used more release agent as it was a hassle to separate, but I did so without breaking anything.

I will also be doing the vac former a minor upgrade this week (better heating and suction). And embarrassingly,  I need to do a promised job for @Martell that I started about 2 yrs ago. One of the bodies I said I'd try and vac form is in the pic, so I can do one at least one now. I have to try the other body, but its also been cut up and has holes that need filling before I can take a cast. Finishing that job is going to be my Christmas Break project.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Well Mr @Mechanic AH I used to find it was blowing my mind deciding what next, so I got the Tamiya Arm Patch Hop-Up to help kerb the craving and has helped a lot 😉. It is the knowing things disappear in the blink of an eye that doesn’t help. But as you miss one thing in this ever digitally connected global village we live in something else invariably comes along 😃

The Phat Body isn’t bad at all. The detail isn’t Tamiya quality but it’s a runner so wasn’t an issue for me. They don’t come with any stickers though, apart from Window and headlight masks, that’s it.

I found I had to reduce the 210 Wheelbase a little as the rear wheels rubbed in the wheel arches a bit by moving a washer on the swing arm. No biggie really.

Its holding up very well after a few runs now, just be aware though M- Chassis’s can be very addictive, I think I’ll need another arm patch soon.

Heres a thread on the build....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My most recent build was finished this week, a TT02R

6C24FCEA-F14C-48D3-A9C4-A3BCA35FD02A.jpg

Build was good fun, a nice mix of hop up and standard plastics in the kit. Goes together quickly with a minimum of fuss, so well suited to the impatient or those nervous of a kit.

Performance wise it was reasonable, but is in need of some fettling or improvements. It felt a bit cumbersome/heavy in comparison to it’s TB05 sibling.

I have a love/hate relationship with TT02s, I think my expectations always outweigh their capabilities. However I do seem to have collected a few, so they must do something right :)

• Like 17

23 hours ago, DayRider said:

I love the bid rigs, there's a channel on YouTube and these guys have races doing course's a round cones, loading and unloading with folk lift trucks. They have all sorts of different types of rigs. I would love to build one I think they are great.

i think that would be rcsparks channel not a real fan of him tbh 

and you aint lived until you build a 1/14 truck or a bruiser/pickup truck

• Like 2

My Blackfoot resto, the chassis is a complete rebuild using all the best parts I had and sourcing original parts for the missing bits. The body is  still to do.

C9151415-E956-49C8-BE68-500DA1FD8E6E.jpeg

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Alwb68 said:

My Blackfoot resto, the chassis is a complete rebuild using all the best parts I had and sourcing original parts for the missing bits. The body is  still to do.

C9151415-E956-49C8-BE68-500DA1FD8E6E.jpeg

what blackfoot are u restoring?

• Like 2

On 12/13/2020 at 9:33 AM, Mechanic AH said:

I realize that this is a dangerous thread

Only to my bank account.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Finnsllc said:

what blackfoot are u restoring?

The original one 58058.

The chassis is as near new as I could get it. The body needs a bit of work, but nothing too bad,

Thanks.

Built this TA03SR at the weekend and having sorted a few minor glitches, with the belt lifter over the motor and not setting the throttle end point on the weekend we finally took it for a proper test run.

It feels so different to the TT02 a lot more planted even on the damp street, tracks pretty straight out of the box and way less twitchy, and makes a great sound from the belt is quite unique compared to the noise from the shaft drive.

It's made me start looking at another belt drive now though, maybe an XV01!

Really looking forward to getting started on the body when the rest of the paint arrives and we can attempt the crazy green!

IMG-20201215-WA0004.jpeg

_20201210_031036.JPG

• Like 9

wd_tr_06.jpg

wd_tr_05.jpg

wd_tr_08.jpg

wd_tr_07.jpg

My very first TAMIYA. A bit of a strip tease, my TR-18T. Whooolalaa...

Edit: Oh, recent car. Failed and lost in trnslation. But anyway nice to watch pics : )

• Like 4

Big bores look awesome on that!! Did they fit straight onto the standard type-s damper mounts and arms or have you had to space them out?

Also, whats the blue bit around the gearboxes? I can see blue where i didnt know blue existed!!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Big bores look awesome on that!! Did they fit straight onto the standard type-s damper mounts and arms or have you had to space them out?

Also, whats the blue bit around the gearboxes? I can see blue where i didnt know blue existed!!

Thanks 

The dampers go straight on but they do have a special top damper nut thing included with the set. 

Can't remember the part number of the suspension mount job🤔

Edited by svenb
  • Thanks 1