Mechanic AH

A Photo of Your Most Recent Tamiya RC/Build

22 hours ago, phantomRC said:

The panel lines add a lot to the body. How did you make them? I'd like to do the same to my tt01e mercedes. 

It's a Tamiya pinstripe kit. 

Kyosho also do a trim line too.

Screenshot_20210508_145817_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210508_145914_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 1

I built the Clod back in February, but it's undergone some significant changes since and it now finished (I had to wait quite a long time for the correct body, headlock rings and stickers to arrive)... Mods: New Bodyshell, wheels, tyres, chassis extension, suspension lift, TGM-02 shocks and on-axle steering servos... (Sort-of Build Thread here: 

)

IMG_6770.thumb.jpeg.91179fae103912af6e3fad49e405d5e4.jpeg

IMG_6769.thumb.jpeg.39f6fdcd144f04232283af4a841caa57.jpeg

IMG_6766.thumb.jpeg.1a09e769de1ad3c3297bb1d1cb2fd5bd.jpeg

IMG_6767.thumb.jpeg.d57afb76f5e82a800218e925e765e315.jpeg

IMG_6771.thumb.jpeg.957db89e3922a42411878ea972d8e147.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours to build the chassis and about 10 hours to cut, paint and decal the body.  With some help from fellow forum members, I was able to solve some of the initial steering issues.  I will keep this car with me where ever I go as my daily basher.

TT-02 set with high ground clearance.  Minimal hop ups:  aluminum shaft and propellers, full ball bearings, high torque servo saver, and CVA shocks.

IMG_1111.jpeg

IMG_1114.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, itcrashed said:

2 hours to build the chassis and about 10 hours to cut, paint and decal the body.  With some help from fellow forum members, I was able to solve some of the initial steering issues.  I will keep this car with me where ever I go as my daily basher.

TT-02 set with high ground clearance.  Minimal hop ups:  aluminum shaft and propellers, full ball bearings, high torque servo saver, and CVA shocks.

IMG_1111.jpeg

IMG_1114.jpeg

Looking good. In my opinion the best looking Impreza.

• Like 1

Finally finished my 2016 Blackfoot. Sport tuned motor, MIP diff, mix of stock and MCI decals, front magnet mount. Very pleased! IMG_20210514_145543_Bokeh__01__01.thumb.jpg.cc5829ef7341eb8f4079cdfbe629fca5.jpg

• Like 11

Got most of the Konghead done, now need to finetune the electronics and finish the body.

51185866910_40393c7cd0_b.jpg

• Like 1

Yellow (shocks) and red is a really ugly combination. Actually, gold (wheels) and red isn't any better. I didn't originally intend this body to be all-red (long story).

Now I need to find some different colored shocks and wheels or something.

20210516_134555.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, goth brooks said:

got my 1/10 looking closer to my 1/1

DB52DDB9-3C13-4B82-BFFE-BFF254397EDE.jpeg

F207CFCB-1743-4D7C-969E-34E031CD8BEB.jpeg

Definitely need the 1:10 spare tire cover on the 1:1!!

got started on the lunch box. got the transmission built and some parts around it installed. i didnt install the 2 springs as the shapeways transmission bracket  will replace that step. need to find my charger for the electric Dewalt drill before i can get started of that. got the steering solenoid i had to "borrow" from the one meant for the TD build to install on the lunchbox. i got the shock mounts on but no shocks yet as the midnight pumpkin aluminum oil dampers need some work first. the steering linkage will likely need some mods that im not will be just yet... my aluminum steering arm is a single mount and not a 2 post parallel mount. might need to use an aluminum plate to Frankenstein a mount to it.  the wheelie bar has full metal parts but the roller is still plastic, i had ordered 50 M3 locknuts recently and the screw fit the nuts and its much more durable that the plastic nut...

im currently stalled at the steering linkage issue and need some extra tools to install the shapeways transmission brace.  the stock steering servo arm and the one i put on there are vastly different so maybe one of the screws provided with the kit go on the servo but im not sure of that...

i might need this part for the lunchbox.  can someone please confirm this?

https://www.amazon.ca/Aluminum-Hi-Torque-Servo-Spline-Output/dp/B01DDH6HP8

IMG_4504a.jpg

IMG_4506a.jpg

IMG_4507a.jpg

Just finished this one last night. Has a *mostly* period correct Tekin Rebel ESC and Trinity Paradox motor :)

Very interesting buggy compared even to early RC10s and similar. The hinge-points are all bushed, which I think was to make the suspension "rebuildable", but it just added weight, cost, and complexity that wasn't necessary. Chassis is SUPER flexible. Wheelbase is adjustable, that's cool, the suspension is *about* as adjustable as cars from that era. It even came with a DUAL pad slipper clutch which (assuming is correct to the original car and not just the re-re) would put Tamiya well ahead of Losi and Associated on that one.

But seriously, with that body, and under-shell...who in their right mind would bash one of these. It'd be like spray painting Michelangelo's "David". Just not classy. LOL

Resized_20210520_202717_4806.jpeg

• Like 6

worked on the lunch box until i hit a wall. cant really work more on the steering components as im waiting for the horn and any other items get in the way. i drilled 2 holes into brand new plastic bulkhead for the shapeways and put semi gloss black TS paint on it. got the rear shocks installed with a few mods of unknown utility. i put some washer on the top deck then some rubber before installing the m3 nut. i could probably make the rubber a bit thinner and grind the washers a bit flatter. i dont know if this will make for softer impact or if an oring on the top of the shock tower before i put the threaded rod into the upper sdeck will do just as well. i got some time to tinker around on what is better as the nuts are near the end of the threaded rod. i used a longer M3 nut as the one provided with the shocks meant to have a aluminum plate. the plastic piece was a bit thicker and perfect length but didnt have space for the m3 nut as extra security.

what are some simple hacks to reduce oil damper impact force transfer to the top deck that might be better than my current solution??

edit: i removed the bottom washers and just went with the m3 flat washer and lock nut. i could've used a shorter screw for the shapeways transmission brace but i dont think it will get in the way of anything at this point.

IMG_4508a.jpg

IMG_4511a.jpg

IMG_4512a.jpg

IMG_4513.JPG

IMG_4514.JPG

IMG_4515.JPG

On 5/13/2021 at 8:32 AM, Aerobert said:

Looking good. In my opinion the best looking Impreza.

That's fact not opinion ;)

On 5/22/2021 at 1:42 AM, nel33 said:

what are some simple hacks to reduce oil damper impact force transfer to the top deck that might be better than my current solution?

I used a piece of fuel tubing there. Seems to have held up pretty well. 

6DC6A0EF-FC02-409D-ACED-D52D4AD82DF6.jpeg

14 hours ago, Room335 said:

I used a piece of fuel tubing there. Seems to have held up pretty well. 

6DC6A0EF-FC02-409D-ACED-D52D4AD82DF6.jpeg

LOL, I forgot that hack, saw it in a build video so and apparently forget it again. I took another shot at left rear damper as the threaded 3mm bolt just didnt seem to bottom out at the same level. The 3mm bolt on the top aluminum cap was loosening as it tightened the 3m nut... I ended up installing the shock in reverse manner. I took just the cap, a small hex driver and 3m nut driver and secured it first so the full length of thread was there. I then installed the oil filled shock to the cap followed by installing bottom bolt and spring retainer... so far only 1 had the 3m bolt come loose when installing shock, hope the 2 front don't do that. I could probably try some lock tight for the screw and cap alone.

just finished this, given to me by my wife for by birthday. I haven't tried to drive it yet, but it is RC :D

recent-purchases-2021_05_24-6.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

This weekend was HOT - so I hid in the basement tinkering. (Ok...I probably would have done that anyway...)
IMEX wheels for Project Junkyard arrived and WOW do they pop.
Also got the chassis together for my 80s tribute Monster Beetle and started painting the interior bits. The entire build is based around the IMEX rims. Sad that I couldn't get a full set in 1 color...but I'mna make it work.

And no...the driver isn't an X-Wing Pilot :lol:

Resized_20210523_120740_8330.jpeg

Resized_20210523_193338_5055.jpeg

Resized_20210523_193330_9617.jpeg

• Like 6

Well...since nobody has posted since Monday I guess I'm responsible for killing the thread...so I figure I'll keep going! Last night I laid the clear on the 80s Beetle. It's torture waiting for everything to cure so I can paint the details. UGH...

I also landed what has been one of my holy grail cars...mainly b/c I love orange. A nearly untouched Terra Conqueror. All my detective work tells me this is the real McCoy, PLUS it comes with the optional florescent orange tub AND body set - all NOS. The guy selling it on ebay was nice enough to end the auction early at a good price after we chatted back and forth. Can't wait to get it!

Resized_20210526_194149_4924.jpeg

Screenshot_20210527-071441_eBay.jpg