Sign in to follow this  
Fabia130vRS

46305 Tamiya QD Sport Peugeot 206 WRC

I have a few questions about this car...

is it worth putting it back On the street?

my biggest question is, is it anything worth? Like rare?

what size of motor is it?

was there a motor cover? (I think I am missing mine)

Wxs2Nls.jpg
cjFGcJQ.jpg

87jAMcx.jpg
VXDLMle.jpg

• Like 1

I would say it is worth putting back on the street but i am biased towards QD cars lol. I see you have modified it in another post

How have I missed this thread??

I've converted a monster beetle to brushless and 2 of the buggy series and a Trailmaster, but I haven't bothered with the touring cars yet..

Watching with interest....

I don't think there would have been a motor cover, they all seem to have a heatsink sticking out...

I think officially it's a 280? Size motor, 

But I find a 2435 brushless usually fits nicely.. 

You may find "m chassis" tyres fit?. I'm not sure about the touring cars..

Cheap Goolrc ESC and brushless motor for around 20, spare receiver, servo, and a 2s lipo and you'll have that shifting..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

I don't think there would have been a motor cover, they all seem to have a heatsink sticking out...

I think officially it's a 280? Size motor, 

But I find a 2435 brushless usually fits nicely.. 

You may find "m chassis" tyres fit?. I'm not sure about the touring cars..

Cheap Goolrc ESC and brushless motor for around 20, spare receiver, servo, and a 2s lipo and you'll have that shifting..

That was the idea, thank you. Was just wondering as I did not know what is the can size of the motor that goes in.

as for tires... only regular turing tires fit. And I believe these rims take 26mm touring tires.

If you want to keep the original motor, just fit a brushed Esc, a receiver, servo and lipo.. 

You don't need to go brushless..

The two speed gearbox is fun as well..

• Like 1

Any chance to fit 540? Brushed motors?

I have a few I would like really to try in this is possible, what pinion if? 

what kind of motor and rpm should I look for I have no idea with all those silver cans, I do not own the original 

btw.

tires fitted with sponge inserts. Should be great handling with these.

ydb0LwJ.jpg

and changed the old wheels nuts

Fj7VS4n.jpg

Noooooooo,,, I know Tamiya motors are top quality... But on the standard voltage, you won't see a significant increase, unless you go lipo....

And it's £100!!!!!!

Get a 2435 brushless motor in an average kv, I'd recommend  around 4000kv to start with,......

I have an 8000kv 2430 can in my brushless thunder dragon, reaching 48mph.!!!!

I'm trying for 50 but haven't had it out for ages..

Then you could choose a suitable better quality ESC with multiple programmable functions which is future proof for other models..

That looks very similar to the gearbox on the buggy series which I have detailed in my thunder dragon thread..

If it is the same gearbox,, I may even suggest a 1/10 scale brushed ESC that takes 4s lipo and keeping the standard motor until it releases the magic smoke..

The problem I had with mine was, when running on 3s and brushless, the motor was getting hot enough to melt the gearbox, but I didn't have the heatsink fitted because I had the smaller 2030 can.

But I will hit 50mph eventually... Lol

Yes, that should fit fine.. If it's the same gearbox as the buggy range?. You may need to drill/bore 2 holes through the gearbox for the motor mount bolts..

You will also need 2x M2.5x between 6-8mm long to bolt the motor in... 

I have some fairly clear pictures in my thunder dragon thread which shows fitment.

Oh and the pinion is pressed onto the old motor, you have to press it off, and fit it to the new motor.

I found wedging the claw side of a claw hammer just pops it off without damaging the pinion..

RE: refitting pinion,......A few light taps with a hammer on a soft (wood) surface should secure it well enough.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Any pinion advice?

at least picture?

I posted some advice above. Hang on, I'll try and find a picture.

EHSe0Dy.jpgpinion fitted to new motor

If your gearbox is the same as this one?. You need to drill out 2 holes to bolt the new motor in..

Use the old motor to make a cardboard template,,, or just guess like I did. Lol

iLnBHg5.jpg

You need flat head bolts, the 2nd bolt fouls the gear selection,, I ran with one for ages and it was fine but you can fit a flathead bolt in there.

fFm86r0.jpg

4sNzL2I.jpg

Here's one that got ruined when the motor got too hot on 3s with no heatsink fitted.. it was fine on 2s. But I was pushing this hard that day...

If I had better tools, I'd make a metal mount to support it..

Or you can take off the gear selection and lock it into high gear( selection of bushes and washers) to stop it bouncing out of gear on extremely high speed runs..

rSZ1Beo.jpg

Like I said, I'm not 100% sure that your gearbox is the same?. I've not had a touring car one before.

But I've converted a lot of the quick drive range and they are all easy to work on.

If you need anything, just @ me.

I hate it when this happens, I've got at least 2 projects on before I go back to this, but now I want to drag it out and get some runs done. Lol.. 

Looking forward to seeing yours finished.

3 minutes ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

You need flat head bolts, the 2nd bolt fouls the gear selection,, I ran with one for ages and it was fine but you can fit a flathead bolt in there.

fFm86r0.jpg

I think you may even be able to move the holes round a few degrees so there is no danger of fouling any gears. But I use the original mounting position where the plastic pins are and drill them out..