Gawdzis71

Thorp differential Spring Washers equivelant?

Wondering if anyone knows what the modern equivalent size/type (if any) would be for vintage Thorp Spring washers? 

Have had good luck finding bearing replacements, but the original Thorp instruction sheet (pictured) makes no mention of size etc for these. 

Anyone who's worked on them and has an idea, much appreciated in advance! 

20201212_113157.jpg

20201212_113149.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply!

It does indeed look like a spring, but if you check out my photo of the disassembled diff gear, it's actually those 4 separate little washers lined up.

But your assessment would probably work even better if there was a spring to match that size. 

1 hour ago, Toolmaker72 said:

I think the drawing shows a spring pushing against a washer, rather than a spring washer

The photo shows a label for the spring washers. And it looks like 3 to me...

Terry

1 hour ago, Gawdzis71 said:

Thanks for your reply!

It does indeed look like a spring, but if you check out my photo of the disassembled diff gear, it's actually those 4 separate little washers lined up.

But your assessment would probably work even better if there was a spring to match that size. 

Possibly spring cup washers then

13 minutes ago, Toolmaker72 said:

Belleville washers 

Yeah man... That looks like it would be what I'm after. 

Now just have to do a little measuring.

Thanks very much for the head start on this.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

I have a pack of NIB Thorp spring washers I could sell you.  I offered it to someone last month (was it you???) and they didn't want it...

Terry

6 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

I have a pack of NIB Thorp spring washers I could sell you.  I offered it to someone last month (was it you???) and they didn't want it...

Terry

Def not me... I'll take them.

On 12/13/2020 at 2:35 PM, Gawdzis71 said:

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah they are like those ones you get in some modern ball diffs.  They are flat on one side and curved on the other. 

Can anyone of you post the exact measures please? I am asking because of possible reproduction of some parts and right now it is about disc springs as well.