junkmunki

Vintage decals dont stick

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the vintage decals to stick on my new build vintage Honda F2 body. Its almost as if the glue has degraded with age, the decals just fall off when applied. I have taken to heating them with a hair dryer to try and activate the glue some more which helps a bit, but if you catch an edge, they just come off again.

Sadly no one makes repro decals for this model, so i have to use the originals.

Short of spreading glue on the back of the decals which would look awful, anybody got any suggestions?

J

Type in Sticker glue adhesive, there seems to be quite a few.

too many to post.

I use contact cement  and like martinipayne mentioned the 3M spray for my fabric interiors also.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ACCEL said:

contact cement

That is a good idea!  

I wonder if extra-thin cement for static kits would work?  You can simply lay the sticker and let it wick away the cement. 

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/finishing/extra-thin-cement/#:~:text=The Quick Setting Cement typically,within 40 seconds of application.&text=Original Tamiya Extra Thin Cement (Item 87038) is still recommended,fill larger gaps and seams.

I have no doubt that it would work, however, I wonder if there is a possibility of it melting the sticker.  I should try to stick two pieces of stickers together with glue to see if they would stick without melting...

I've used double-sided sticky tape on decals which peel off - seems to work OK.

Stick decal to one side of the D/S tape, trim around it, peel off the backing and your decal is now sticky.

Takes patience but worth a try.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

I've used double-sided sticky tape on decals which peel off - seems to work OK.

Stick decal to one side of the D/S tape, trim around it, peel off the backing and your decal is now sticky.

Takes patience but worth a try.

This idea might just be the way to go.

J

5 hours ago, Juggular said:

possibility of it melting the sticker

key to contact cement (depending application material and placement)a real fine skim and let it darn near dry, both surfaces are best to do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nugget said:

D07F49A6-F9EE-42FD-8FB1-6707026CE24D.jpeg

I was excited about that. However, it seems to be for the water-soluable decals for static kits.  Tamiya says "Use this handy solution to apply decals which have been left too long in water and lost their adhesion." 

“Formula 560 canopy glue” is good stuff. I use it on my aircraft primarily but it’s good for sticking down anything like this also. It is white out of the bottle (just like PVA) but dries completely clear. While it’s wet it’s water soluble and doesn’t contain solvents so it won’t melt your decals. I’d brush a bit on the back of your decal and you’re good to go.

Ive tried the hairdryer trick and it does work if the adhesive on the back of your decal just needs to be reactivated but not always....worth a try first though, but be careful not to go overboard with the heat.

hope this helps

Kurt

Try Googling RCDecals, they reproduced the decals for a Honda CB750 Racing Type. The kit was from the first production run, so some 45+ years old and had yellowed and dried out. Bill W.