Ryz82

F104w & F103 (Tyrrell)

Decided to give my old F104W some much needed TLC, part of which is finally removing the completely destroyed shell and wings (note. F1 + bitumen road + high speed + small rock = gymnastic RC, hence sitting on shelf for a looooooong time and needing TLC).

I have trimmed new MP4/5 shell, and cut some custom wing plates from 1mm styrene (why the badword does Tamiya NOT supply wing plates with the shell, what good is a shell and wing/spoiler, but no wing plates to hold them together, seriously ?!?!?!?!).

Anyways, the body is all trimmed except for the cockpit for servo clearance. I made a mess of my last shell, trying to cut away in the cockpit so the body would sit flush on the servo, but was wondering if people have any tips (photos) of how they managed to cut away to get the body sitting nicely ? I don't have access to a low profile servo, and from memory even with low profile, you still have to mount it up high on the F104w so the horn can connect to steering rods correctly.

As an added question, does anyone know if its possible to still get rubber tyres for the Tyrrell P34 ? My mate wants to run the car more often, but the foams just aren't up to snuff for the areas we can run. I know they take the standard F103 rears, but its the unique small fronts on the Tyrrell that I've had no luck finding.

Yes,  you can get rubber tires for the F103 Tyrrell P34.  Tamiya 19408053 includes two rear tires and two front tires for the F104W Lotus 79 and Wolf WR1.  If you buy two sets you'll have enough plus a spare pair of rear tires.

You're going to need the right wheels for the rubber tires, as well.  One set of 19338097 will work for the rear, and two sets of 19338096 are needed for the front.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ryz82 said:

As an added question, does anyone know if its possible to still get rubber tyres for the Tyrrell P34 ? My mate wants to run the car more often, but the foams just aren't up to snuff for the areas we can run. I know they take the standard F103 rears, but its the unique small fronts on the Tyrrell that I've had no luck finding.

I asked that question a few weeks back as I was thinking of buying a Tyrrell, others on here believed that the fronts were pretty rare. What @speedy_w_beans has given me a bit of a rethink though. Hmmmm....

I suspect I'll get a TT02 Type S, but with tyre options the Tyrrell might get looked at again in a moment of boredom/weakness/feeling flush....

11 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Yes,  you can get rubber tires for the F103 Tyrrell P34.  Tamiya 19408053 includes two rear tires and two front tires for the F104W Lotus 79 and Wolf WR1.  If you buy two sets you'll have enough plus a spare pair of rear tires.

You're going to need the right wheels for the rubber tires, as well.  One set of 19338097 will work for the rear, and two sets of 19338096 are needed for the front.

Does the Wolf have the same diameter fronts ? i thought the P34 were smaller again ? Will have a look at the kit numbers you mentioned in any event.

8 hours ago, EvilSpike said:

I asked that question a few weeks back as I was thinking of buying a Tyrrell, others on here believed that the fronts were pretty rare. What @speedy_w_beans has given me a bit of a rethink though. Hmmmm....

I suspect I'll get a TT02 Type S, but with tyre options the Tyrrell might get looked at again in a moment of boredom/weakness/feeling flush....

Definitely worth a look. Not a fan of the P34 myself, but  if they fit, I'm sure my mate will be more than happy.