zappto

Sand Scorcher upgrades

I want to upgrade my vintage sand scorcher, to make it handle better, also better motor, shock, all period correct. Cant decide which motor to chose, i sow there are black endurance, sprint motors, it goes better? which is better? what motor do you use for better performance? Also, noticed not so good handling , it is a way to make it better?

what is your experience?

thank you

Tamiya’s diff. for this model is currently available. And for just over £40  not too bad price wise.

I think it’s got a fairly high centre of gravity, for really great handling, especially with the Scorcher body on it.

RC Channel used to make alternative rear trailing arms which got rid of the camber. I’m not sure if these are still available ?

Do you mean rear stabilizator for rear arms? I sow it on some models, but not for sale.

In brief - there's not a lot of off-the-shelf options for the SRB, especial period-correct, that will give notable improvements.  For a while there were some companies offering some SRB tuning upgrades but SRB fever has died back a bit and it might now be out of production.  RC Channel has some stuff on their homepage.

If memory serves, the RC Channel rear suspension upgrade was a complete multi-link suspension kit for the rear end, to eliminate the terrible camber changes in the SRB A-arms.  It isn't "period correct" as it was a recent development but it was manufactured in the same style as the SRB chassis so it doesn't look out of place.  I think it's out of production and I can't find it listed on RC channel's home page.

This thread has some details about it, I think it has pics - they show up in an image search but not when I read the thread, which might be due to my work proxy.

Otherwise, if you wanted to break out the tools and get creative, there are various things you can do:

Standard SRB shocks (even on the re-re) are terrible.  The volume is way too low and they leak.  Longer, wider coilovers are the solution.  Modern shocks wouldn't be "period correct" and there weren't a lot of options around when the SRB was new, but if you can find some gold alloy shocks off an early Kyosho buggy (maybe even the re-res have them) then you'll have something from the right-ish era that also looks good on the chassis.  You can build an extension on the front using some alloy or FRP plate and you can make a clamp or drill a hole in the rear hoop to mount longer shocks there.  Then you get more freedom to change springs (you'll have removed the standard front and rear springs at this point) so you can control the handling characteristics and ride height.

You may be able to make a sway bar using piano wire but it would be on an experimental basis.

I've seen a few lengthened and widened SRB race cars.  Lengthening is as easy as fabricating a new, longer chassis plate, and you can add a brace bar between the front shock tower and rear hoop if it becomes too floppy.  Widening the front is fairly easy too if you can find the right diameter tube to make new spacers.  Widening the rear happens automatically if you fit a hex adapter and modern race wheels with a deeper offset.  This means you can run modern race tyres, which should be a big improvement on most surfaces.  Modern wheels should fit up front with no mods.

So - as you can see there's plenty of scope for improvement, but almost all of it requires some creativity and crafting to get there.  And you'll still have an overweight buggy with terrible camber and limited gearing options - so IMO it's only worth doing if you want the challenge and the satisfaction of having done it.

• Thanks 1

I am by no means an expert on the SRB, but the gyro stabiliser seems to be a great upgrade. I think it was @shenlonco who posted a video recently of his SRB with the gyro stabiliser fitted. It dramatically improved control, and made the car much more drivable.

• Like 2

I put RC Channel shocks on mine, bearings  and a sports tuned which was plenty good enough for me.

Then @TurnipJF did a complete refurb and added an alloy chassis, Hi torque servo saver and moved the servo which eliminated the bump steer and improved the steering immeasurably 👍.

Nothing to technical or rule changing just relatively inexpensive mods to make it more enjoyable without losing the charm or quirkiness. . 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, yogi-bear said:

I am by no means an expert on the SRB, but the gyro stabiliser seems to be a great upgrade. I think it was @shenlonco who posted a video recently of his SRB with the gyro stabiliser fitted. It dramatically improved control, and made the car much more drivable.

Yes the gyro makes these works so good!

• Like 2

wow, going strong, nice body work on your scorcher, also good spot to drive, do you use stock motor?

Best performance upgrade is to run a 1500mAh 2S lipo high C instead of NiM packs. Fraction of the weight and will hold voltage much better.