R6cowboy

Hobbywing EZrun or Quicrun ?

Trying to choose a Hobbywing ESC & motor combo for 1/10 off-road 4x4 buggy and/or 2wd stadium truck. Will not be used for racing. Is there any reasoning to pick the EZrun over the Quicrun, or vice versa? Is one better than the other? I've tried searching this with not much luck.

Basic question is are you going to run brushed or brushless motor  ? EZrun is brushless , Quickrun (1060?) is brushed only

Brushed isn't necessary for my application as it won't be used for racing, so I'm not partial to either.  After seeing your post Kev, I now notice the Quicrun brushless motor has been discontinued.  Thanks for pointing that out.  So I'm leaning toward the EZrun MAX10 ESC, w/ 3652 G2 4000kV motor combo ($101).   Originally I was looking at the Castle Sidewinder 4 sensorless ESC, w/ 1406 4600kV motor combo ($130). But it seems like many folks prefer Hobbywing over Castle, even without considering the slight price difference. I don't have experience with either.  

The Hobbywing EZRun Max10 & 4000kv will be perfect for what you're doing, I think you'll really like it.  As far as Castle vs Hobbywing I'd probably go with HW.  I have many brushless systems from both and used to lean heavily toward Castle, but I've noticed myself buying more and more HW as the years go by, actually havent bought a Castle system since the SW3.  I can't say I've ever had a problem with either with the exception of Castle on/off switches, had quite a few of those go bad...I do like programming with the HW box better than the Castle card.  Although Castle does have CastleLink, it's a pain to get out the laptop every time I want to change more in depth settings, but it is nice to have for fine tuning more more race-oriented vehicles.

Bottom line is you can't really go wrong with either, especially for your purposes.  Either will wake a basher up big time and you'll have a ton of fun.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks 87lc2.  Also, I'd prefer the HW 4000kv motor in lieu of their 3300kv because I already have a Reedy SC600 ESC & Reedy 3300kv brushless sensorless motor combo that came in my RC10T4.3 rtr.  Idk how much of an apples-to-apples comparison the Hobbywing vs Reedy 3300 motors are, but I'd like having the different kv rating variety.   

I agree, I do the same with brushless motors.  If I'm trying to decide between a few that are close I'll just buy the one I don't already have, then I can swap around later if necessary.  I do know that most manufacturers rate them differently, but I think in general motor kv ratings are pretty similar between them.