wtcc5

wtcc‘s FF-03 addiction

17 minutes ago, wtcc5 said:

@Carmine A: Yes to all ;)

You just MADE MY NIGHT!!! 🎉🎉🎉🍻  I was really hoping that I had that right. 

I now wonder if THAT'S why I've had so much trouble finding the individual Alumininium Mounts....  This will be so much easier AND more economical. 😁  Thanks Mate!! 👊👍👍

A body for the FF-03R

After a long decision process, that then resulted in favor for the FF-01, the FF-03R still had no body. I wanted to put on a Honda Accord shell to make it an Aero Custom 1996. For me personally the most beautiful official FF-03 body. Tamiya even made a new sticker set for it, optimizing the head and tail lights. The whole box art composition of body, color, rims, mirrors and wing is really pleasing the eye. The Honda Accord body without all those sponsor decals has really nice lines and is just elegant.

So I bought another Accord body, that again came with full PIAA decals. And again this circumstance let me think about making another PIAA Accord. This time my wish to make the Aero Custom was strong enough. The previous owner already cut the body. Except for two spots were he cut to deep, he did a very good job, hitting the marks on the wheel arches and sanding the edges. This saved a lot of time.

71c45b55-81b7-48c9-bksjgv.jpeg

Tamiya made extra holes to mount the front body posts in the FF-01 position. Also the holes on the FF-01 bodies are more narrow, but don’t worry! Tamiya added the needed shims. The chassis also got a trimmed bumper to fit underneath the short Accord front.

1e7502a4-bd73-4fda-8zvjb5.jpeg

Painting and applying the stickers was no problem and went on well:

b86c9ecd-cfea-4d7a-becjei.jpeg

a02a30eb-8788-4633-893jhh.jpeg

63ebc82e-2015-4af5-847jrd.jpeg

fb04e58f-8aca-48a8-ahtk4n.jpeg

6b29e70f-a157-4353-byojsv.jpeg

Too beautiful to drive :wub:

3bea527e-745e-4686-acrjat.jpeg

• Like 9

That is a fantastic, clean looking Body!! I'm glad to see this Body crossover between Chassis... Makes the decision to run a Mondeo on my FF-03 less scandalous!! 😜

• Like 1

d8aa0268-d01a-4dc3-av8jcb.jpeg

On my first visit of the AMSC Augsburg this year, I learned about their strong going FF class. So for the second visit today, I made sure to have my KR-MF conversion with me.

5c515d20-c5f7-49ac-9z3kcj.jpeg

On its first indoor test drive, the car was a handful and suffered from accumulating dirt on the rear tires together with a bad oversteer. So this didn’t cause me to be optimistic regarding the performance. Fortunately the car was very good today. After enjoying the pure speed of the installed 13.5t outlaw motor, I reduced the throttle to 60% which then was exactly the speed of the 17.5t-Hobbywing combo the other guys drive. After some minor tweaks the rear was perfect for the track.

Fast corners are definitely the strength of this chassis. I only suffered on slow hairpins. In hindsight, my conclusion is, that I have too much weight in front as the front axle seems to be overwhelmed with braking and steering. The chassis layout pretty much prevents a  great weight shift. The only thing I can do is to move the rear dampers towards the rear axle.

I also should go for 6* degree caster in front combined with less camber this is a way to gain traction.

• Like 6

The shell looks great! I found 6 deg c hubs very much to my liking on my FF03 4GR. I see you have amount option to move the rear shocks to the back already? 

What about introducing some kickup at the front to promote weight transfer? I did some tests with my FF03 4GR on the street but results were inconclusive, but with the latest adjustable blocks you can flip the rear chips down and front up to get some kickup without changing the roll centre. 

• Like 1

Such a beautiful car! Makes me want to get my FF03 up and running. First the FF01 though.

• Like 2

Today I worked a bit on the KR-MF. I moved the dampers to their rear position.

c9658bcd-1d1b-451a-ax5kyu.jpeg

754498d8-f254-4cb8-9gpkeb.jpeg

I also changed the rear axles. I had these on my FF-01 runner, but found them to sophisticated on that chassis. But they are perfect for the KR-MF:

f417a2f3-71ef-474b-b9ujy1.jpeg

• Like 3

Hi Kevin!

What made you move the rear damper? Was there wobbling with the long shaft or was it for adding weight at the rear? Looks better to me now. :)

@Nicadraus: It was for moving weight rearwards to reduce the load for the front tires. Even though the chassis has a middle motor, the f/r bias is that of a FF-03.

Some spareparts arrived:

2a345727-8272-457f-9acjxa.jpeg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

@Nicadraus: It was for moving weight rearwards to reduce the load for the front tires. Even though the chassis has a middle motor, the f/r bias is that of a FF-03.

Some spareparts arrived:

2a345727-8272-457f-9acjxa.jpeg

Nice! I have the same diff set up in my Pro-R and the XV. 

What oil weight are you using? Currently I'm using 30k but will try 100k.

@Nicadraus: I don’t know what Oil is in my diff :lol: I think it is 300k... But for the rebuild I will put in 100k for outdoor asphalt.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wtcc5 said:

@Nicadraus: I don’t know what Oil is in my diff :lol: I think it is 300k... But for the rebuild I will put in 100k for outdoor asphalt.

How do you find the 300k in terms or cornering grip? Is it too aggressive on asphalt? 

13 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

How do you find the 300k in terms or cornering grip? Is it too aggressive on asphalt? 

Feels too much. The car won’t turn in that nice and has no advantage on accelerating.

• Like 1

@Nicadraus: While we were discussing oil thickness, my friends in the Awe FX Whatsapp group had this topic going on, too. One of them now builds a 70k diff.

I worked a bit on the KR-MF.

3ac03662-aca9-403f-asxkm8.jpeg

Last time out, the diff teeth caught a stone. It managed to damage around 20% of the theeth. So it was no question to replace it. And while at it, I added the aluminium cover and 100k oil.

The old oil looked like 300k:

9cccf6b6-6d9b-425a-9m5jcz.jpeg

Blue always looks good:

07d707c2-783a-4533-8pik0a.jpeg

The gear „box“:

de6891ad-1edb-497a-8njk1i.jpeg

For the weight distribution and to react to the 6 degree caster (shim added under front suspension mount) I put all shims behind the front arms:

169616bf-7c3e-48e6-aapk5h.jpeg

Black and blue :wub:

936f9657-8bfa-4c79-bajkwm.jpeg

The last step was to copy the setup of one of Germanys fastest fwd drivers. He has a weight distribution of 66/34 on his Awe. My KR-MF is now at 65.25/34.75. Now I am curious how it works on my chassis. Especially the small camber angles (-1 in front and -0.5 at the rear) are interesting.

a4962602-0f0a-4f6d-9qpjb2.jpeg

b601b73b-3099-48a6-bsykm0.jpeg

With body:

b3d07aa3-42b2-4e8b-bsfj17.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

@Nicadraus: While we were discussing oil thickness, my friends in the Awe FX Whatsapp group had this topic going on, too. One of them now builds a 70k diff.

I worked a bit on the KR-MF.

3ac03662-aca9-403f-asxkm8.jpeg

Last time out, the diff teeth caught a stone. It managed to damage around 20% of the theeth. So it was no question to replace it. And while at it, I added the aluminium cover and 100k oil.

The old oil looked like 300k:

9cccf6b6-6d9b-425a-9m5jcz.jpeg

Blue always looks good:

07d707c2-783a-4533-8pik0a.jpeg

The gear „box“:

de6891ad-1edb-497a-8njk1i.jpeg

For the weight distribution and to react to the 6 degree caster (shim added under front suspension mount) I put all shims behind the front arms:

169616bf-7c3e-48e6-aapk5h.jpeg

Black and blue :wub:

936f9657-8bfa-4c79-bajkwm.jpeg

The last step was to copy the setup of one of Germanys fastest fwd drivers. He has a weight distribution of 66/34 on his Awe. My KR-MF is now at 65.25/34.75. Now I am curious how it works on my chassis. Especially the small camber angles (-1 in front and -0.5 at the rear) are interesting.

a4962602-0f0a-4f6d-9qpjb2.jpeg

b601b73b-3099-48a6-bsykm0.jpeg

With body:

Seriously, this is the best FF car I have ever seen. The workmanship and the design alone speaks for itself.

Thank you for sharing this Kevin. It is truly an inspiration to me and many others. :) 

• Like 3

On 7/9/2021 at 11:48 AM, wtcc5 said:

Beautiful car @wtcc5. On an impulse I just bought an FF-03R NIB kit, with the gear diff. The FF chassis is completely new to me so I'm looking forward to reading your thread!

• Like 3

... And a beautiful iconic livery. Also especially tasteful with the black and red accents! Really Nice, suits the proportions awesomely well. Btw, Are those Tamiya decals? 

• Thanks 1

@GermanTA03Guy: Yes, they are. When the Calsonic decals were easily available for the R35, I bought some sets, to have less work making a beautiful body.

• Like 1

The timing of @Room335 to bring this thread back up, was pretty good ;)

I was searching half a year for an Integra body and body parts and some weeks ago was lucky to get one. Thinking about how to paint it (not liking the Beams Integra box art), I remembered the livery a RCtech member called "rtypec" made more than a decade ago:

f5d99607-1a7f-4709-9uxj9x.jpeg

0e0addca-95ca-4a45-bdzj5s.jpeg

6ab6d9cf-ae0d-4dde-bj0kb3.jpeg

At that time I really wished to live near the Tamiya Raceway to run some batteries with these guys every week.

Now, I want to make a replica body. Rtypec used some now rare stickers, I had to check with MCI for the Esso (from Toyota GTone) and also for the Beams logos.

fcd7b7fd-9755-41a1-9x1j0m.jpeg

The present Accord Aero body will move on to my FF-03 pro...

• Like 7

Started with swapping the Honda Accord body to the pro.

And then preparing the new tires with decals:

c156afbc-6b0e-4811-91ikp4.jpeg

I forgot how good the FF-03R looks:

7face83f-87ea-40bf-809kmk.jpeg

ecc2e6bc-83a3-4641-b7pj6r.jpeg

• Like 5

Kevin,  that is absolutely fantastic! Beautiful FF! 😍 👍👍👌  Makes me want to start working on my FF03....

• Thanks 1

@Carmine A: Thank you! Keep us updated ;)

I had to add another little detail, blue wheel nuts:

5d6380eb-1bde-486f-8djjiy.jpeg

4244330b-317c-4e7d-8w2j47.jpeg

33557a59-89ff-4bdd-9mcjt1.jpeg

657166aa-5f04-462a-8kdk6k.jpeg

Now it is perfect :wub:

• Like 6