rwordenjr

What sense does this make ?

I’ve long wanted a technigold motor. On eBay, they are available either by themselves or in vintage kits that came with the motor as stock. Some sellers are selling brand new motor only for more $ than brand new vintage kit with motor included as stock. What sense does that make ?? 

If you went to a car dealership to the parts counter and bought all the pieces for any car individually, it would cost more than walking over to the sales floor and buying that car already together.

• Like 2

On another forum someone totalled up the parts to build a new car from spares via the main dealer, came to over £150,000 for a £14,000 vehicle. Guy must’ve been really bored to do it 😂

• Haha 1

The argument being that you could buy a used kit that you don’t really want just to get your hands on the included motor. I had a similar thought re radio gear - I’m sure there are some fairly uninteresting used kits going cheap that have very nice original full vintage radio gear........

• Like 1

Funny you mention this, I see it all the time.  I often buy RC cars or entire RC lots where I know there are rare parts or even just that the sum of the parts is worth way more than the asking price.  I'll usually sell some of the things I dont need to make the money back and keep what I really wanted.  This is also why I rarely buy new kits/vehicles.  I know that I can get a lightly used version with tons of upgrades on the second hand market for close to or less than the original price.  I like feeling like I got a good deal as I'm sure others do.  

I also enjoy having lots of "stuff" around in case I ever need it (Im sure a lot of us here are like that...).  However, there are some people that just want to build their perfect RC and dont care about having a lot of extra junk around.  I know a few guys like this, nothing wrong with that at all.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

I’ve long wanted a technigold motor. On eBay, they are available either by themselves or in vintage kits that came with the motor as stock. Some sellers are selling brand new motor only for more $ than brand new vintage kit with motor included as stock. What sense does that make ?? 

Buy the kit with the motor, keep the motor and sell the kit.  You may end up getting the motor pretty cheap that way.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hudson said:

The argument being that you could buy a used kit that you don’t really want just to get your hands on the included motor. I had a similar thought re radio gear - I’m sure there are some fairly uninteresting used kits going cheap that have very nice original full vintage radio gear........

I had to buy a few Ultima's to get the parts I needed, and then Raiders, just for the shock collars!! 

Things you had to do before the Re release came along...🤷‍♂️

Buy the kit with the motor, remove the motor,.....

Buy another kit just for the motor to replace the one you removed.

The cycle continues

Welcome to Tamiyaclub.. lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/23/2020 at 10:46 AM, J@mes said:

On another forum someone totalled up the parts to build a new car from spares via the main dealer, came to over £150,000 for a £14,000 vehicle. Guy must’ve been really bored to do it 😂

Yeah that sounds like the TB Evo4 build of mine 🤣🤣🤣

I almost bought a full Tamiya Daytona kit just to get a DynaTech but the issue is, would anyone buy a Daytona with the DynaTech missing for the money I’d need to recoup?

in the end I just opted for getting hold of a second hand one and spending some time returning it a bit 

JJ