OldMappamundi

Original Manta Ray

I've dug out my old manta Ray from many moons ago. The drive shaft is looking worse for wear. Can anyone recommend a replacement please? It appears I wrapped electrical tape around it, probably around 30 years ago. 

I've replaced the motor mount with an alloy one, in the hope this would fix the problem. I've opened up the gearbox and it's full of grey gunk. I'm assuming this is from the pinion and metal gears in the rear gearbox. What would be the best new pinion to get please? Also would it be worth replacing the metal gears with plastic ones instead? I'm pretty gutted, as I thought replacing the motor mount would get it up and going again. I don't have a stock motor in it - i have a red and gold Champion's Choice motor with the letters ARL on it. 

IMG_20210101_133658__01.jpg

Very common occurence from using OEM Tamiya aluminum pinion gears, they wear themselves to death in there.  Any steel replacement will be OK, but I would recommend Robinson Racing.  In my opinion they're the best you can get as far as pinion gears. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Very common occurence from using OEM Tamiya aluminum pinion gears, they wear themselves to death in there.  Any steel replacement will be OK, but I would recommend Robinson Racing.  In my opinion they're the best you can get as far as pinion gears. 

Thank you 87lc2. Another daft question - which size and how many teeth should I got for, given the motor in it please? 

You will need a mod .6 pinion gear for this model, not to be confused with standard 48p.  The TA02 can take anywhere from a 16t through 21t pinion gear.  I'm not familiar with that motor and every car is different so cant recommend an exact gear, maybe someone else has ran this motor and can answer.  

What pinion do you have in it now?  Is the car fast enough for you and it the motor staying cool?  Basically going up in pinion size will get you more speed, but only go as high as you can while keeping the motor temp down.  Maybe buy a couple sizes (18/20) and see which one give you the speed and temps you're looking for.  In my experience TA chassis models are pretty forgiving as far as gearing so you should be fine with whatever you choose.

Thanks folks. I'm going to buy a couple of new pinions from Robinson Racing. When I opened the rear gearbox, two of the gears are metal, and there was a couple of sheared off plastic pieces. Would I also order ta-02 gears for it? Apologies for the questions which probably seem daft. All of your help so far is appreciated. 

There are a lot of models that share these gearboxes, the TA01/TA02 gearset will work fine.  

• Thanks 1

Huge thank you to everyone who replied to my thread. Finally got the gears replaced and a drive shaft in place. Just need the snow to go now to get it out for a run. 

• Like 1