RCRLMichael

CVD question for DT-03 Racing Fighter with Ball Differential Set

Hi all,

I've recently started my DT-03 Racing Fighter build, and I'm incorporating a number a Tamiya and after-market Hop-Up options (as one does).  One such upgrade is the Tamiya DT-02 Ball Differential Set (#53863); despite being designated for a DT-02, this is listed as a upgrade for the DT-03 chassis.  After assembling the diff itself and installing it into the gearbox assembly, I noticed the drive cups that came with the ball diff set were considerably smaller than the kit supplied drive cups.  I've attached a photo below to illustrate this.  The trouble is, this make it impossible to use the kit supplied dog bones (they simply won't fit in the small drive cups), and I can't swap the larger kit supplied drive cups as the interface to the differential itself is completely different.

Now, I do have on order a set if steel alloy CVD drive shafts from GPM (part number DT3264SC), which I purchased prior to starting this build.  The reason is because I will be running a 10.5T brushless motor with a 2S LiPo in this car and it's my understanding the stock plastic drive cups and dog bones become a weak point when power goes up.  However, in light of this recent discovery, my question is will the GPM CVD drive shaft set work with the smaller drive cups of this ball differential?  If not, what CVDs do I need to source that will fit these smaller drive cups?  Should I be looking to replace the small drive cups with something larger instead?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.  Cheers!

Michael

IMG_20201224_103310__01__01.jpg

The GPM's will fit perfectly with the ball diff, no issues. I have that axle in my hand and it fits fine into the TT-02B and the DT-02 Ball Diff cup.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trowa Jakuard said:

The GPM's will fit perfectly with the ball diff, no issues. I have that axle in my hand and it fits fine into the TT-02B and the DT-02 Ball Diff cup.

Fantastic!  Thanks for replying and for verifying.

Now I just have to wait for it to arrive.

As a follow up, here is my DT-03 with the ball diff and the tt-02b CVD from Yeah Racing. the drive cup is the same size as a regular tt-02/tt-02B's metal dog bone cup. Unfortunately, I just looked into GPM's site and found a some issue. it lists not being compatible with kit #58374, the Dt-02 Sand Viper. looking at that kit, it appears to be using metal dog bones the same size as what would mate to the ball diff's cups....... I'm going to have to apologize. I'm very sorry I did not catch that earlier. The correct ones are the DF-02's CVDs. Again, I'm sorry about that :(

1661660581_20201226_2311501.thumb.jpg.f40b636deda69966b2c65e2785e82ffd.jpg

13 hours ago, Trowa Jakuard said:

As a follow up, here is my DT-03 with the ball diff and the tt-02b CVD from Yeah Racing. the drive cup is the same size as a regular tt-02/tt-02B's metal dog bone cup. Unfortunately, I just looked into GPM's site and found a some issue. it lists not being compatible with kit #58374, the Dt-02 Sand Viper. looking at that kit, it appears to be using metal dog bones the same size as what would mate to the ball diff's cups....... I'm going to have to apologize. I'm very sorry I did not catch that earlier. The correct ones are the DF-02's CVDs. Again, I'm sorry about that :(

1661660581_20201226_2311501.thumb.jpg.f40b636deda69966b2c65e2785e82ffd.jpg

Just so I'm clear, you're saying the GPM Steel CVD kit #DT3264SC will NOT work with the DT-02 ball differential drive cups?

I did recently notice the ball diff instructions mention to use Tamiya Hop-Up DF-02 Universal Shaft Assembly #53791.  I'm just hoping the GPM steel CVD kit is a direct replacement/equivalent for the Tamiya DF-02 Hop-Up kit.

Yeah, the GPM one will fit the larger plastic cup for the stock diff, but will not fit into the smaller ball cup. I just tried received mine last night and that's when I found the issue.oops.thumb.jpg.b97102a35622d44c4c80ff9a98f32ed4.jpgdiff

13 minutes ago, Trowa Jakuard said:

Yeah, the GPM one will fit the larger plastic cup for the stock diff, but will not fit into the smaller ball cup. I just tried received mine last night and that's when I found the issue.oops.thumb.jpg.b97102a35622d44c4c80ff9a98f32ed4.jpgdiff

That's exactly what I was afraid of.  Crap.

I guess I'll have to order the correct Tamiya Hop Up item.  The good news is I didn't have to wait for the GPM part to arrive to find this out.

Thanks for letting me know and thanks for confirming.  I appreciate it.  Cheers!