Snappy1

VQS .....

Here is the collection for this build,

Vintage ball diffs

Tamiya TBLM-02S 10.5 T brushless

TFU-01 ESC cooling fan

I know these motors  don’t have a reputation for speed, so I thought I would try a HILV 7.6v  120c LiPo.

Ferrari driver for the VQS shell

Tamiya 47455 High caps

Egress and X bar carbon uprights, Not sure which way I will go, leaning towards the X bar

TBG Avante 2001 shell and MCI Decals , two cans PS-16 Metallic Blue

Avante Black pink lightweight rims and Egress tyres

image.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

Here is the collection for this build,

Vintage ball diffs

Tamiya TBLM-02S 10.5 T brushless

TFU-01 ESC cooling fan

I know these motors  don’t have a reputation for speed, so I thought I would try a HILV 7.6v  120c LiPo.

Ferrari driver for the VQS shell

Tamiya 47455 High caps

Egress and X bar carbon uprights, Not sure which way I will go, leaning towards the X bar

TBG Avante 2001 shell and MCI Decals , two cans PS-16 Metallic Blue

Avante Black pink lightweight rims and Egress tyres

image.jpg

Nice parts Snappy, but will be hard to fit the Avante 2001 body. I´t is made to fit to the double deck chassis of the 2001, and is smaller in the area of the rear front wishbone link. Will be hard to fit for you. But if you find a solution, let us know here...

Kind regards and much build fun,

Matthias

• Like 1

Thanks Matthias, I have two 2001’s and an Egress I can make the shell for,

Power system tested, fan installed on the ESC, switched  from brushed to brushless mode , all good

currently on step 29 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Oh man gorgeous!!! Share the build of the vintage egress ball differentials.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GTodd said:

Oh man gorgeous!!! Share the build of the vintage egress ball differentials.

I built them about a year ago , they were run in my 2001 for about 30 minutes,

• Like 1

OK, chassis is done , this really is a very enjoyable build, but the quality is impressive, anyone who didn’t grab one due to the cost is really missing out.

Here it is, I am running a Egress bumper, I pinched the VQS one and put it straight on my shelver  Avante  2001, I think the Egress bar looks more aggressive,

Body still to be done

The more I look at it I realise I have built a Vanquish black special

image.jpg

• Like 5

Not much progress, but here it is currently.....

image.jpg

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

image.jpg

How tight did you get the center dif?

Worth direct soldering the speedo motor wires to the motor plugs. Those Tamiya inline plugs can get hot and melt - probably more likely if you are going to use a punchy lipo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rwordenjr said:

How tight did you get the center dif?

I am actually having dramas with it, I seem to have lost the 2mm split washer in the build and I cannot get it tight enough, I searched through box after box of spares, I currently have dropped in a direct no slip spur from the leftovers of my re re Egress, but I don’t suggest swapping things around on a Vanquish, very very difficult to swap motors/pinions and Spurs once the chassis has been built around it 😔

3 minutes ago, Snappy1 said:

I am actually having dramas with it, I seem to have lost the 2mm split washer in the build and I cannot get it tight enough, I searched through box after box of spares, I currently have dropped in a direct no slip spur from the leftovers of my re re Egress, but I don’t suggest swapping things around on a Vanquish, very very difficult to swap motors/pinions and Spurs once the chassis has been built around it 😔

The directions just say “do not over-tighten” 😢 thats not much direction. I’ve currently got it where the screw is flush with the bearing that goes over it. 

22 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

little bit tighter as on the double deck chassis versions, but Gearbox cover off, Loosen motor screws, tilt motor to outside and take out the diff? I think this is one of Tamiyas most advanced platforms for maintainability! ;):lol:

On 1/3/2021 at 6:14 AM, Snappy1 said:

image.jpg

Like your driver choice! Did you also create a front fixing to the body? If yes, would you share your solution?

Looking really blackmagic so far!

14 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

little bit tighter as on the double deck chassis versions, but Gearbox cover off, Loosen motor screws, tilt motor to outside and take out the diff? I think this is one of Tamiyas most advanced platforms for maintainability! ;):lol:

Yes, you are right, it was tighter with the brushless motor but it was doable.

I need to change to a servo saver as the arm I am using is rubbing on the driver, getting there though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snappy1 said:

Yes, you are right, it was tighter with the brushless motor but it was doable.

I need to change to a servo saver as the arm I am using is rubbing on the driver, getting there though.

Do you use a low profile Servo Snappy?

If yes, you could mount it from below the topdeck, to gain some space for the arm!? That was my solution to keep the Ferrari driver figure...