Dazibao

58059 purchase advice

I came across this shop online couple days ago. Scrolling through their posts i saw following picture of a 58059 on display.

They are an official Tamiya distributor but have trouble sharing additional pictures saying this pic is from an older post and they will see on Monday if these models are still available.

I would like to purchase both the built one on display and the nib kit right next to it. Price for the kit is similar to a re-re sand scorcher.

Should i go ahead with this deal on monday,  Can anyone understand from pics if these kits have the Rothmans decals or no? 

Thank you.

SUBARU BAL& TE PHOG.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like a great find, albeit seems too good to be true, as these typically sell NIB for much, much more, like about 4+ times the sort of price you’ve indicated! I’m not an expert, but believe that if the box has a Porsche logo to the left of ‘959’, then it’s an earlier version, and more likely to have the Rothmans decals. However, your red circle passes exactly over that part of the box, and the picture is low resolution, so can’t tell either way.

Watching with interest. I highly doubt the picture or price is real.

I think I know the shop you are looking at Dazibao as I was in there during the week. They have quite a collection of vintage kits for sale.

I don't recall seeing the 959 but there were some early Tamiya pan cars  and original Frog, Brat etc as per your pic.

You comment on pricing being similar to a re re SS I doubt from what I saw, you would need to dig deeper than that going by the other kit prices.

All the best in trying to acquire these though, as you mention the store is a legit seller and been around for years.

If that is a genuine vintage NIB 959 kit, they are selling for around the £1800 mark, and a new built model, around £700, so if the shop is selling the stuff for the same price as re re kits, i need to fly out there and buy it all...:D

J

Thanks for all the comments.

I also think this is too good to be true, and i try not to get too excited.

But, i did talk to someone working here yesterday on the phone and he did confirm at least one 58059 is in stock available for purchase. (awaiting final confirmation with pictures)

Hopefully i will acquire this nib kit along with the built 959 on display on monday and update this thread with good news.

Here's another picture i found posted couple months ago. Built 959 is relocated to another shelf hidden behind a Datsun. 

806616522_PastedGraphic.jpg.2660d9e350b77afab1a10215955ebfb9.jpg

3 hours ago, kymbo said:

I think I know the shop you are looking at Dazibao as I was in there during the week. They have quite a collection of vintage kits for sale.

I don't recall seeing the 959 but there were some early Tamiya pan cars  and original Frog, Brat etc as per your pic.

You comment on pricing being similar to a re re SS I doubt from what I saw, you would need to dig deeper than that going by the other kit prices.

All the best in trying to acquire these though, as you mention the store is a legit seller and been around for years.

I see you are based in Perth SA. This shop is based somewhere else :D

Transferred funds to secure the nib kit. Still waiting for actual pics.

These pictures were posted on their facebook october 27th. 

Looks like it is sitting on a manual?  Maybe it has a box somewhere, maybe some spare parts too :ph34r: 

Dealer will text me today and let me know if it's still resting on that shelf.:rolleyes:

222.jpg

333.jpg

111.jpg

• Like 1

The hpi savage's (Original XL and flux) are kind of retro aswell obviously not in the league of the Porsche 959 that shop looks like a real Aladdin's cave👍

• Like 1

Received an unboxing video from the seller and took some screenshots, sorry for low quality.

Sadly the 959 on display is gone.

Box is damaged inside and out. Some blisters are damaged, drive shafts were missing at first but they were found later in the box.

It does not have Rothmans Decals. 

It cost me around 450.EUR including shipping, i expect delivery before new year.

I will be building this kit soon and will start a separate build thread for it.

Thank you :rolleyes:

blisters.jpg

blisters 2.jpg

blisters 3.jpg

box.jpg

box 2.jpg

box in 2.jpg

interior.jpg

label.jpg

Shaft.jpg

wheels.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, moffman said:

The hpi savage's (Original XL and flux) are kind of retro aswell obviously not in the league of the Porsche 959 that shop looks like a real Aladdin's cave👍

A very interesting place indeed.

I received this box today that smells like a very old piece of furniture.

I will need some help from those familiar with these older kits. It looks like a 99% complete kit to me.

Please can you look at the pics, do you think everything is in order here ? 

I am missing 1 piece (E12) from parts tree "E". I wonder if this is a 959 specific part. The whole tree is listed on ebay for 155.USD :( 

What is this black plastic fork like piece ? It is not attached to a parts tree? 

Thanks very much.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats, you got a great deal there. Sometimes when something's too good to be true, it actually is true!

There are 8x E12, which are specific to the 959. The hold the ball ends on the front knuckles. I think you can probably order a set of 3D printed from shapeways.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, didcos said:

Congrats, you got a great deal there. Sometimes when something's too good to be true, it actually is true!

There are 8x E12, which are specific to the 959. The hold the ball ends on the front knuckles. I think you can probably order a set of 3D printed from shapeways.

Thank you for your reply Didcos, i am very happy to hear that !

2 hours ago, Dazibao said:

What is this black plastic fork like piece ? It is not attached to a parts tree? 

It’s a tool used for dismantling the Technigold motor I believe.

• Like 1

Yeah. It’s brush separator. 
Well done on a great haul. 
I, like many, awaiting the build thread. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 3:01 PM, Dazibao said:

I see you are based in Perth SA. This shop is based somewhere else :D

Where is it then? 

• Like 1

Dazibao Don’t need all the details just what country was that 959 found? just curious. Quite amazing actually.

• Like 1

Well done!  :)

Look forward to the build thread.

I always wanted one of these, but prices are far away from what I could justify spending these days.  Is there a way to build a look-a-like?  Do they share any parts with other kits?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ringding350 said:

Well done!  :)

Look forward to the build thread.

I always wanted one of these, but prices are far away from what I could justify spending these days.  Is there a way to build a look-a-like?  Do they share any parts with other kits?

I was very lucky to find one in this condition. It came from a hobbyshop based in middle east. I guess some of these kits are still around waiting to be discovered.

My kit is missing a small plastic bit so I am waiting for a replacement along with a set of ball bearings so i can start building !

I believe some folks have built 959s using mf-01 chassis combined with reproduced 959 bodies.

Thank you for your kind comments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just wanted to say, I thoroughly enjoyed the detective work in this thread. Including the grainy spy pics. Great find!

• Like 2

On 12/30/2020 at 4:41 PM, Snakehands said:

Where is it then? 

On 12/31/2020 at 6:00 AM, JYCM3 said:

Dazibao Don’t need all the details just what country was that 959 found? just curious. Quite amazing actually.

if my memory serves me right it was Istanbul, Turkey...

Interesting find and the fact you got it in your hands must make it quite rewarding.

The fact there’s still some secrecy over the country means there are probably some other finds he’s after and doesn’t want competition.

Reason for secrecy is i didn't want someone to get their 15th NIB 959 before i received one to actually build and enjoy.

This is an official Tamiya Distributor. Should be easy to locate. Do your own detective work:P

I know that they had at least 2 NIB 959s at some point in their shop. I believe one with Rothmans decals (thanks to futureworks' comment) and one without them in addition to a built 959 on display. I managed to acquire the one with racing decals. I have no further information regarding the other NIB and the one on shelf.

This was an exciting little christmas adventure and I wanted to share it with TC where i have been a long time lurker.

Thank you for your comments and happy new year ! 

• Like 2