Superluminal

Ultima re re mystery part

Hello - im building my christmas present to myself, an Ultima re re and ive got a left over mystery part no# 12 off of sprue UT002.

I cant find it in the build sequence of the manual nor the adendum pages but its shown in the exproded views of the manual.

The chassis seems to have gone together without it - any ideas where its supposed to fit?

20201227_162533.jpg

• Like 1

It screws into the hole next to the slipper spring. It is used to hold the motor wires from rubbing on the driveshafts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Biz73 said:

It screws into the hole next to the slipper spring. It is used to hold the motor wires from rubbing on the driveshafts.

Ohh thank you! I havent got a motor in it yet so hadnt spotted this - cheers!

• Like 1

This should be a blast . I've got an original Ultima , and the re-re with clutch included should be a great improvement

• Like 1

Thanks! Yeah it feels pretty good so far - very different build to the Optima although the slipper and diff parts are the same. The only bit ive not been too keen on is the servo arm and rod arrangement. Theres been some choice words this evening getting that set up! The cranked rod means its very difficult to set the length of the ball ends and none of the holes in the chassis seem to occur where screws are so keep having to completely remove the servo, remove and re-adjust the rod, refit servo (and repeat many many times)

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

Theres been some choice words this evening getting that set up! The cranked rod means its very difficult to set the length of the ball ends and none of the holes in the chassis seem to occur where screws are so keep having to completely remove the servo, remove and re-adjust the rod, refit servo (and repeat many many times)

you can mount your steering servo off center by putting the servo mounts on the top of the servo's tabs instead of the bottom. then run a regular straight turnbuckle [adjustable] at the furthest radius of your horn. everything will clear and you can adjust the turnbuckle length easily.. you can even do the offset to only the front mount so your servo is mounted ~10º clockwise.

• Thanks 1

On 12/27/2020 at 3:03 PM, BardsDirge said:

you can mount your steering servo off center by putting the servo mounts on the top of the servo's tabs instead of the bottom. then run a regular straight turnbuckle [adjustable] at the furthest radius of your horn. everything will clear and you can adjust the turnbuckle length easily.. you can even do the offset to only the front mount so your servo is mounted ~10º clockwise.

Got a photo?

On 12/29/2020 at 6:17 PM, Mrowka said:

Got a photo?

what i was trying to say is... you know the blocks that connect the chassis to the mounting tabs of the servo, right? the instructions say to put those blocks under the servo's tabs, towards the 'bottom' of the servo. turn them around. mount the blocks on the other side of the servo's tabs, the same side as the servo horn instead. it'll move your servo to the side enough that you can run straight adjustable turnbuckles instead of the thin bent linkage garbage.

---

unfortunately my ultima has been waiting to be reassembled since i became bedridden in 09.
i'm sorry i can't offer you more guidance visually. :(

i had enough parts to build 3 ultimas.

my old graphite serious business racer. A&L belt tranny, duratrax graphite chassis, traxxas shocks, RC10 bellcranks, everything ridiculously lightened.

another with the stock body. in-line battery, a tamiya F1 servo mount, & 'pro xl' tranny. 4 stock front shocks, aluminum chassis, & hot trick stuff arms, all polished to silver for a scale looking "sand rail" build complete with grasshopper wheels. [looked small compared to modern buggies very scale besides a Slash]

and a 'pro xl' chassis mixed with the "scale series" ferrari ultima. i flipped the front arms to stretch it to fit an HPI super scale F-150 truck body which was huge. was going to buy a trailer and pull the sand rail on it. was going to retire them with a real 'race team' look.

• Thanks 1

I think you will need a low profile servo to mount the blocks on top of it. The standard savox servo i tried was too deep for that and wouldnt fit in against the chassis sides so had to put them underneath.

i have just 1 block, the front one, reversed. my old old futaba standard servo is indeed crammed in tight against the frame. it worked though. i've seen other ultimas with the front mount hole drilled ~3/8ths to the right. twisting the servo clockwise enough. it puts the hole in the center of the next ridge over in the chassis.

personally, if i was going to start drilling i'd just convert to the new ultimas' setup with the servo turned 90°. once you've done that you have room to run all those huge lipo hardpacks inline. :)

[your ultima hasn't shown you what it can do till you take a dremel to your rear bulkhead and saw out the front of it to get that battery all the way back]

• Haha 1