GTodd

What hobbies steal your money and attention from RC?

As a family man with an awesome wife and 3 amazing children I find that my attention and money is heavily prioritized in my families favor. 

When there is time and money I'm finding that RC is falling further and further down the list. 

My current obsession is my 2018 Hellcat Charger.  It's currently garaged for the winter and there is a list of parts that I "need" before it's winter slumber is over: Bigger injectors, smaller pulley, custom tune, larger rear wheels and new tires. After that I need to restock my reloading supplies, then maybe I'll be able to finish some of my RC projects!!

So what competes for your money and attention?

For your enjoyment, a pic of the hellcat!

IMG_20190803_111019_01.jpg

• Like 13

My daughter first is spoiled beyond belief but records are my other vice. I have over 4000. I did the car thing in my 20s and early 30s buying infinitis. Glad i grew out of that

I'm turning 40 in a year. It used to be JDM cars and DIY car sound systems...due to this pandemic, I've amassed 8 RC kits...but I do acknowledge that it will surely change by the turn of the year as my wife and I are expecting our fourth child... granted this is the only time that I've really gotten into spending money into RC, I've always been into doing whatever side project there is to keep myself tinkering with anything I can do at home... 

I don't know, maybe my time and attention will shift into biking when winter is over... I got myself a decent MTB that I'm sure I will be changing some parts on, and a rather old but quality road bike that I need to clean and tune up... 

Those Hellcats are crazy fast.  I’ve had a few rental chargers from Avis and their fun, I bet you have a blast with yours. 

When I was married I was really into my RC cars because it was all I could afford.  Financially I had a few rough years after the divorce and it took a bit to get it all balanced out and I’m doing much better now.  Since then I’ve been able to get some other things to keep me preoccupied.  My current money suckers are my two sport motorcycles, a 911 cabriolet and a F150 4x4 truck. 

I also have an amazing wife and three chidren 12-15years. Money is prioritized as needed and spent as necessary. But that being said, spending on extravagance that cant be supported is a thing we should all be wary of. 1:1 cars are as addicting as RC. WE spend and spend on something that satisfies us but isnt a needed thing. Prioritizing where our fun money goes is a slippery slope. That little extra we pick up could make a negative impact. We all need to make sure our priorities are in check. 

I am fortunate as my 7yo loves rc and going racing, so rc racing budget is like family budget. In saying that there isn't much more we actually need for racing, basically new kits for him as he progresses. We are tapped out on fun cars though as we have plenty. He plays a few sports and things but those are relatively cheap so its good for now. If he decides he no longer likes rc then I may have problems but I have a few years until then I reckon 

Mountain bikes and home theater gear are my two other money pits. The Lockdowns only confirmed how valuable they are for my own sanity! Go out for a ride, come back and watch something (or play something) and then tinker and run a car... Fortunately my other half has two young lads who have shown a real interest and one now has his own Aqroshot to build. 

• Like 2

I really love 50cc scooter tuning, I own a SR50R 2005 model that will be race specs one day.

I mountainbike, I am sort of a DJ myself so mixers and studio monitors are a thing.

• Like 4

It used to be 1:1 cars but that's pretty much over aside from maintenance. I had a ton of hobbies but after my daughter's birth, shelved most of them but RC due to time constraints. RC is nice because I can put it aside at any time for as long as need be to service the needs of my family, which always comes first of course. I try to do my art and writing when I find time. Guitar and the stuff surrounding it are probably the only other thing I have that takes away time and money from RC. Sometimes I just need to put down the screwdriver and box wrench to jam out, whether its cover tunes or my original stuff. 

Well when it comes to Real cars they are just to pricy in overal here in Norway so i would never go that way. So a much cheaper solution is Rally Simulator (Modded Richard Burns Rally on Pc), Tamiya RC kits & 1:24 plastic models (Rally Cars). I also have a Guitar but im stil learning..

Also 3 Daughters that also can be the reasons for me escaping to my hobby room :) (though im trying to include them in RC).

Edit: Oh yes thats true i also have my Vinyl collection

My other vice is hifi. I work on rc cars to escape from spending on this money pit.

• Like 2

I think we've done this thread before, but...

Collecting plastic model car kits - mostly from the '70s and 80s, kits that were on the shelf when I was young. Most of them stay NIB, in sharp contrast to my RC habits. Started out as just having something to look for at antique malls and flea markets, but now I've actually started curating a collection.

Guitar & bass - I've played for 30 years but never taken the time to really "get good." Just good enough to impress girls. Guess it worked; my wife is impressed by my playing. Played in a couple of bands in college, but these days it's just me.

1:1 cars - I have a 1971 MGB GT and a 1989 Chevrolet pickup that used to be a US Forest Service truck, in addition to a scruffy old Corolla for daily use. I'm not into any sort of modding or hot rodding; I just like to drive them and maintain them.

Vintage camper trailer - My wife and I have a cool old 1966 Aristocrat trailer that we like to take trips with. I keep threatening to get a period-correct car to tow it, but it hasn't happened yet.

Writing - I used to try to write fiction, but it didn't go well. So now I'm just writing about cars, and life in general, over on DriveTribe. I'm starting to work on the outline of a non-fiction book, coincidentally enough, about the importance of having hobbies.

Home improvement - our house isn't old; it was built in 1982, but we bought it from the original owner/builder who never remodeled or updated anything. We're always tinkering with something. The place is unrecognizable from when we first moved here, in a good way.

• Like 4

For me it's 1:1 cars, still got my MG midget which was my first car at 17 (more years ago than I care to think about) BMW Z3 , Audi TT MK1 .

Then there is Guitars, mainly Gibson electrics. And over the last couple of years i have gotten into Airsoft. For those not familiar it's a combat sport related to paintball. Great fun and good excersise , and you get to shoot your mates ! I actually find that stripping and building many of the guns is quite similar to working on the RC stuff.

Nick

21 minutes ago, Nick G said:

For me it's 1:1 cars, still got my MG midget which was my first car at 17 (more years agothan I care to think about) BMW Z3 , Audi TT MK1 .

Then there is Guitars, mainly Gigson electrics. And over the last couple of years i have gotten into Airsoft. For those not familiar it's a combat sport related to paintball. Great fun and good excersise , and you get to shoot your mates ! I actually find that stripping and building many of the guns is quite similar to working on the RC stuff.

Nick

And we found the golden pocket boy ;)

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Nick G said:

For me it's 1:1 cars, still got my MG midget which was my first car at 17 (more years agothan I care to think about) BMW Z3 , Audi TT MK1 .

Then there is Guitars, mainly Gigson electrics. And over the last couple of years i have gotten into Airsoft. For those not familiar it's a combat sport related to paintball. Great fun and good excersise , and you get to shoot your mates ! I actually find that stripping and building many of the guns is quite similar to working on the RC stuff.

Nick

Man those MK1 TTs are the best!!! Coupe or Roadster?

• Like 1

A couple of British classics, 77 xjc, 92 vogue se and a 95 Griffith 500. 
Not sure how values will go with the ev push for 2030 as the cars above will help my pension 

• Like 1

For me it's my 1:1 MGF and bass guitars (Fender). As Markbt73 wrote, just good enough to play some nice blues in a band (now sadly on hold since March due to corona) but not good enough to be a pro. 

• Like 1

I'd say BMX bikes and video games are my two biggest distractions. I would also throw in HO slot cars, HO trains, and 1/24-1/25 plastic models. I also dabble with guitar (not enough to play in a band, but enough to amuse myself), audio/video sampling/editing, a little bit of LEGO, and probably a good bit more. I like to tinker and fabricate and make things work better and faster and smoother and more reliably.

1 hour ago, GTodd said:

Man those MK1 TTs are the best!!! Coupe or Roadster?

Coupe, I prefer the lines which I think are classic, then there is the interior ! And we've the Z for sunny days. 

Nick

2 hours ago, simalarion said:

And we found the golden pocket boy ;)

One of the benefits of never having kids, we get to spend on ourselves :D

Nick

This is a very tricky question because RC is stealing from all others. :D

Mountain biking (and less so general cycling) is my main 'hobby'. Been riding for nearly 30 years now so you could say the bug is well and truly embedded. I was into RC as a kid before I started racing bikes and only got back into RC, like many others, earlier this year. Don't race bikes now as I just can't get my head into the racing thing but the passion isn't any less strong. 

At the moment the cars are just on the shelf but I did take one out the other day (Kysoho Beetle) and it reminded me that these things are best being driven rather than sitting on a shelf. Winter bike maintenance is taking spare funds right now so no frivolous RC purchases right now 😜

Don't get me wrong I LOVE rc , the little man and me drive my vintage Tamiya at.least once a week. 

I'd like a Durga and a VQS but with that money I could get my Demon injectors And wider rear wheels for the Hellcat 

I hate to humblebrag but I have a hobby that helps fund my RC habit.  Since I love to tinker and wrench anyway I started cruising curbs for discarded lawnmowers and bicycles which I fix and resell . I did quite well this last spring and summer with the pandemic going on. 
I partly or nearly completely funded my Wife’s G6-01 King Yellow , my Axial SMT10, and an eBay Hornet and Midnight Pumpkin project off “mower” funds and/ or trading up other RCs

• Like 5