GTodd

What hobbies steal your money and attention from RC?

22 hours ago, GTodd said:

As a family man with an awesome wife and 3 amazing children I find that my attention and money is heavily prioritized in my families favor. 

When there is time and money I'm finding that RC is falling further and further down the list. 

My current obsession is my 2018 Hellcat Charger.  It's currently garaged for the winter and there is a list of parts that I "need" before it's winter slumber is over: Bigger injectors, smaller pulley, custom tune, larger rear wheels and new tires. After that I need to restock my reloading supplies, then maybe I'll be able to finish some of my RC projects!!

So what competes for your money and attention?

For your enjoyment, a pic of the hellcat!

IMG_20190803_111019_01.jpg

Nice ride!  I put over 400 miles on a Hellcat Challenger widebody 6spd on a track over several days. Considering how heavy the cars are, Dodge did a pretty good job with the suspension tuning.  With all the electronic nannies turned off, coming out of a sweeping left hand corner, it was a smoke show every time when I got greedy on the gas pedal on the track.  A LOT of fun!

Hi Gentalmen , Just skiped through the above page appears to be about what brings people to this column /site .Me I am new here so apologies if the following is inappropriate /But have just come across my sons old cars,Mardave Nitro. Boomerang. Clod Buster ,and some Wild Willy apppropiatly one wheel (thats another story  )Me usually Model engineering , three lathes, two milling machines .drill &  much wood working equipment . + having turned 70 decided to get back in the saddel of two wheels GT 750 Suzuki ,  Sunny days round Cornwall ,But decided time to restore the above vehiclesso looking for some insperation landed here ,trust am in the correct place,   Regards   C/P

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 2:47 AM, Fabia130vRS said:

I really love 50cc scooter tuning, I own a SR50R 2005 model that will be race specs one day.

I mountainbike, I am sort of a DJ myself so mixers and studio monitors are a thing.

Haha, cool! You brought back nice memories, I used to be deep into 50cc scooter tuning back in the day, when I was a teenager in Italy. When I turned 20 I sold my super tuned 50cc and got a Phantom 100cc, tuned it up too and with quite a paint job. That scooter is still there, we use it all the time when we get to go visit. Let me top up the off topic with a photo at this point 😝

Screenshot-20201229-125420-Gallery.jpg

Anyway, nice topic, interesting to read about everybody's other interests and situation. 

Music and 1:1 cars took a great deal of my free time in my 20s along with travelling, before the RC bug bit again so there was no conflict.

Nowadays I couldn't dream of having 1:1 cars as a hobby, I couldn't afford it as the severe climate we live in demands constant maintenance and I can barely keep up with my everyday car! Music is in currently in the backburner, and we have no kids yet though hopefully that will soon be a "problem" to deal with :)

What takes a little time away from RC in my case, besides the occasional periods of painting and drawing is skateboarding, which as a sport I try to prioritize (and honestly it really isn't that much time stolen) and then my main job which I guess is also a passion (and a curse, lol). I am a mosaic maker/installer/restorer, and that's a field where a lot of time is needed. What I currently do for the daily bread, even if still involved with mosaic arts, doesn't fulfil me anymore from a personal point of view, so just before this covid thing started I set up my own workshop to be able to work on my own projects, and yeah SO much time has been taken away from RC since then.

Moneywise, nothing is really stealing from RC at the moment, but I still keep the budget under control! I have more than enough to enjoy for now anyway.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, H22A4 said:

Nice ride!  I put over 400 miles on a Hellcat Challenger widebody 6spd on a track over several days. Considering how heavy the cars are, Dodge did a pretty good job with the suspension tuning.  With all the electronic nannies turned off, coming out of a sweeping left hand corner, it was a smoke show every time when I got greedy on the gas pedal on the track.  A LOT of fun!

I'll be heading out to AZ for the SRT day at bondurant! Can't wait to get one of these on the track!

My other vice is Die-cast cars - over and above my 30+ RC cars.

I have 7200 on display in my home - with no duplicates. I have been collecting since I was 8 years old in 1974 - that's 46 Years. All have been taken out of their boxes and are on display.

I also build 1/24 and 1/12 scale plastic model cars - usually Tamiya but I have been known to indulge in a Revell as well.

We race Associated 18R cars indoors on carpet and I build hyper detailed RC 4x4's, trucks, off-roaders and drift cars.

Oh - I also like building working model tugs. 

My Highlift Hilux tows my Nissan S15 Drift car - with custom made chassis.

One of my display cases for my 1/64 diecast.

My Austar Ford Bronco with full lighting, flashers, siren and working winch.

My other Bronco - cheap eastern chassis with upgraded engine and electronics.

My Sand Scorcher Body on a Grasshopper Chassis.  

thumbnail_IMG_3201.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3202.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3203.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3204.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3205.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GTodd said:

I'll be heading out to AZ for the SRT day at bondurant! Can't wait to get one of these on the track!

DO IT!! And seriously consider adding a couple of days on when you book your free day for owning a Hellcat.  You’ll likely wish you did once your down there on the first day.

I’ve been down there a few times with the first one being just before FCA killed the Viper.  Putting a couple hundred miles on a 2017 Viper was A LOT of fun.

12 hours ago, H22A4 said:

DO IT!! And seriously consider adding a couple of days on when you book your free day for owning a Hellcat.  You’ll likely wish you did once your down there on the first day.

I’ve been down there a few times with the first one being just before FCA killed the Viper.  Putting a couple hundred miles on a 2017 Viper was A LOT of fun.

Man I'm praying that they still have the Vipers!! I added two days to my SRT experience.

for me it was my aquarium until my daughter moved into her house and robbed it of me so since then i have been buying hi-fi and speakers much to the wife's dismay and also

i got into buying sealed cassette tapes and that collection is rapidly growing 

i did collect hotwheels but since last year i have not brought any due to the shops by me stopped getting them in stock for a good 6 months so i gave up on buying them as i have missed so much so i will be putting them up for sale in the new year (all 3 massive storage box's) 

tbh i dont think i have brought  a new tamiya kit in over a year 

I'm all about the home theatre. The good thing about this is you buy great stuff once and you are good for over a decade. I bought a Sony ES receiver like 8 years ago. Still amazing . 

I love that HBO Max is realeasing first run movies. I'll never go to a theatre again, no need. 

If you want to watch all your spare cash disappear, you should buy a classic boat. Even if i dont use it, the cost of owning it and maintaining it each year runs to about £6000.

I love it to bits, but its a money pit.

J

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GTodd said:

I'm all about the home theatre. The good thing about this is you buy great stuff once and you are good for over a decade. I bought a Sony ES receiver like 8 years ago. Still amazing . 

I love that HBO Max is realeasing first run movies. I'll never go to a theatre again, no need. 

if you get your hands on a sony ES you keep it

59 minutes ago, GTodd said:

Man I'm praying that they still have the Vipers!! I added two days to my SRT experience.

You’ll have a blast in the widebody Challenger Hellcats.  The Vipers are gone; they left in Fall 2017.

29 minutes ago, junkmunki said:

If you want to watch all your spare cash disappear, you should buy a classic boat. Even if i dont use it, the cost of owning it and maintaining it each year runs to about £6000.

J

Post up some pictures of it!  Is it similar to the Chris Craft runabouts?

Other way round for me. Keen photographer and RC has stolen the time away from it

Picked one of my lenses up the other day and it had been sat around so long without UV light and in my relatively damp house and it had the dreaded fungus growing on it 😖 then I checked my others and they were all the same. Most of them would be a financial write off to pay to have cleaned. Absolute nightmare. Even the glass covering the sensor on my cameras has it.

It doesn't effect the image quality that much but it absolutely destroys resale value and some of those lenses I would never be able to afford now I'm single and I basically considered them like emergency funds I could sell at any time.

The annoying thing is that some of them are vintage from the 50s/60s and they survived all those years till they got to my house and now have the snowflakes of death etching themselves into the glass.

maxresdefault (2).jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, junkmunki said:

Reminds me of something I heard once:  Do you know how to make a small fortune? Start with a large fortune and buy a boat...

• Haha 3

My other hobby are 1:1 cars. My own cars are a Honda Civic, Accord Type R, Celica GT4 St205 and a Lexus IS200.

As a side job i do wiring harnesses for all kind of cars and sell Haltech stand alone ECUs.

I found back to RC with the birth of my daughter, as I can do the build an restoration at home after she went to bed. Before I always wanted to, but didn't found the time.

9 minutes ago, DarkSonic said:

My other hobby are 1:1 cars. My own cars are a Honda Civic, Accord Type R, Celica GT4 St205 and a Lexus IS200.

As a side job i do wiring harnesses for all kind of cars and sell Haltech stand alone ECUs.

I found back to RC with the birth of my daughter, as I can do the build an restoration at home after she went to bed. Before I always wanted to, but didn't found the time.

Nice. I had a Carlos sainz 185. Great car, stupidly selling it about six years ago. It was a low mile mint one too. 

18 hours ago, H22A4 said:

Is it similar to the Chris Craft runabouts?

WP-20170504-13-48-46-Rich-LI.jpg

No. the Chris Craft are cold moulded wood, wheras mine is glassfibre. Mine is 27ft with twin inboard engines.

The picture is from the begining of the year when i lifted it out for the winter and started to strip it for repaint.

J

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Nugget said:

Nice. I had a Carlos sainz 185. Great car, stupidly selling it about six years ago. It was a low mile mint one too. 

Oh man celica GT4. Going to need pics.

Fishing and Guitar usually. Managed to do plenty of the first this year but apart from one virtual Christmas concert the Guitar orchestra I play in hasn`t managed to do a thing. No rehearsals, no concerts, nil. Hopefully we get back to it next year

On 12/30/2020 at 6:43 PM, nowinaminute said:

Other way round for me. Keen photographer and RC has stolen the time away from it

Picked one of my lenses up the other day and it had been sat around so long without UV light and in my relatively damp house and it had the dreaded fungus growing on it 😖 then I checked my others and they were all the same. Most of them would be a financial write off to pay to have cleaned. Absolute nightmare. Even the glass covering the sensor on my cameras has it.

It doesn't effect the image quality that much but it absolutely destroys resale value and some of those lenses I would never be able to afford now I'm single and I basically considered them like emergency funds I could sell at any time.

The annoying thing is that some of them are vintage from the 50s/60s and they survived all those years till they got to my house and now have the snowflakes of death etching themselves into the glass.

maxresdefault (2).jpg

Oh good grief.. I used to do a lot of photography, but put all my kit in storage as I’ve not used it in a few years... I think I put silica sachets in each lens case... but it’s been a while I’ll have to go check them.. I’ve not seen this before :( a timely reminder...

6 minutes ago, Lee76 said:

Oh good grief.. I used to do a lot of photography, but put all my kit in storage as I’ve not used it in a few years... I think I put silica sachets in each lens case... but it’s been a while I’ll have to go check them.. I’ve not seen this before :( a timely reminder...

A lot of it honestly depends on the humidity of your home etc. My house is ridiculously humid all year round, even the windows and mirrors get this stuff growing on them. There's a good chance they haven't been exposed to it as much. I would have gotten a humidity controlled cabinet but they are super pricey. With hindsight I would have kept it all at work but oh well.

Humidity over about 60% is where the danger zone starts although regular UV exposure can help to keep it at bay. Easier said than done when you have a few dozen lenses and not much time though.

Best I can do now is try and clean the ones I can actually work on hopefully before it etches into the glass and does permanent damage then keep them at work. Many of them are way to complex for me to disassemble though, especially the zoom ones!

Well, after 3 redundancies, living in premier Inn's and B&B's for months, upping sticks, and moving countries, 5 rentals homes, 4 houses, a marriage and 2 kids, I've still yet to finish building it....🙄, but getting there!! 

Actually got new wings on now, a new rad support and rad, (nice and cheap to get over.....😳)

2020-06-26_09-46-18

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

@Wooders28 TPI set-up?

Yeah, I got an 87 IROC, but was full of holes, and missing lights and bits, so parted it out, and got the L98 engine /700r4 box and full loom for next to nothing. So naturally, bought heads, cam, injectors, intake, runners, 9th injector delete, rock valley tank......

The shipping and then taxes absolutely costs a fortune, even if the parts where free!! 

My mate designed the MS3 ,so that's what ecu I'm running (got an LT1 map thrown in it to test run, hence the LT1 on the YouTube vid) 

• Like 1