GTodd

What hobbies steal your money and attention from RC?

36 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

@Wooders28 TPI set-up?

Yes!!! I'm not the only TPI nerd!! I think it's one of the best looking intakes EVER. I'm on the hunt for a 5th Gen Z28 or Iroc 1LE 305 5spd.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Well, after 3 redundancies, living in premier Inn's and B&B's for months, upping sticks, and moving countries, 5 rentals homes, 4 houses, a marriage and 2 kids, I've still yet to finish building it....🙄, but getting there!! 

Actually got new wings on now, a new rad support and rad, (nice and cheap to get over.....😳)

2020-06-26_09-46-18

blue honeycombs?

1 hour ago, Finnsllc said:

blue honeycombs?

15 x 7 snowflake's

Just for rolling about, I've a set of 15 X 8 snowflake's, for when it's running,  and I'll sell these.

Yeah, the LT1 that replaced the TPI was so bland looking in comparison. I'm curious what it could have achieved (from the factory) if GM designed it for the 350 from the outset instead of the 305. Either way, I love that torque curve. It might go off a cliff at 4500, but it pulls like a freight train down low and that's where the fun is on the street anyway. I never did replace my '86 Vette's with a Mini Ram because I loved the look and feel of the stock TPI.

• Like 1

I race motorbikes a bit, but mainly do trackdays. I've got an '07 Kawasaki ZX6r and a '95 Honda RVF750 RC45, both in race trim.

I've got a Suzuki GSX-R 750 and a ZXR400 as road bikes, the latter needs a bit of work to get it running again, and the ZX6r need a new 3/4th gear and selector fork so the engine will have to come out at some point.

I've just bought a 250 2 stroke Beta trials bike, where I live in the far South West of England there's no racetracks for a long way, so I thought I'd give trials a go as it's motor sport I can do nearby.

I like to surf, SUP and cycle a lot too, and a two year old son puts paid to a lot of my free time. I'm hoping he might like to have a go at trials at some point too, so it'll be something we can do together whilst he still wants to hang out with his old man.

50331139298_79d3b30864_b.jpg

• Like 5

Besides RC my main interests are writing fiction and making electronic music.  Fiction costs next to nothing - a cheap laptop, good quality keyboard (I love my Logitech K800) and a cloud backup service and I'm all set.  If I go away on holiday I find it nice to sit in a bar overlooking the sea, drinking beer and writing by hand in a cheap paper notebook, but mostly I'm digital.  I have a really old HP Envy computer that I use for writing on the move because it's so portable and the battery is excellent (even the keyboard is good).

Music can be very expensive but these days I don't buy that much.  I have an old Yamaha EX-7 which I use just as a controller keyboard and sometimes for jamming; I really should sell it and buy a dedicated controller keyboard with weighted keys instead, it would be smaller and fit in my workspace better, but the EX-7 doesn't have a lot of resale value as everybody wants the EX-5 (which despite having a lower number was a higher-spec model).  Last month I spent around £150 upgrading my DAW (Properllerheads Reason) to the latest version and I'll probably buy a new mixer later today, purely because I want to be able to jam around with digital effects without having to go through the DAW every single time, also because I could do with the mic preamps, also because it means I can add stupid effects to my voice and play sounds on the keyboard when I'm on conference calls just to wind up my colleagues, but I'm looking at £75 for a new mixer, so not a massive expense.  Hopefully I won't spend any more on music this year unless I really push myself to come up with a live rig - in that case I'll probably have to build my own from Arduinos because there's no way I can justify the cost of an Ableton Push or similar.  I've got some old hardware boxed up to sell because I haven't used it in 20 years but it's been sat in the garage for 8 months, I'll have to check the damp hasn't damaged it.  I've also got a vintage Korg MonoPoly synth which hasn't come out of the flight case for about 5 years, which I'm sort of keeping as an investment item.  Studio-wise I bought my monitors (Alesis M1 Active Mk2) and sound module (Focusrite Scarlet 18i6) when I moved into my new home a few years back and have no need to replace them.  I need a powerful laptop to run Reason, which is expensive, but I tend to buy something that will last a long time.  I had to replace my laptop in April 2020 as my old one (which wasn't that old) fried its motherboard for some daft reason and couldn't be fixed - that was a big expense I could really have done without (also being stuck without a laptop for 6 weeks at the start of lockdown due to supply issues).

My daily driver is a 2001 model Nissan Elgrand which I converted into a camper.  It cost a lot to build but upkeep has been pretty cheap, in four years it's needed tyres and oil and an ABS sensor.  It's 20 years old now and will need a new steering wheel this year as the stock one is breaking down and getting sticky, and I royally hate sticky things.  Biggest cost is fuel - it's a 3.5 litre petrol mated to an old auto box, so I can easily spend £100 just getting to a race meet, but I save a bit on hotel and food because I can cook and sleep in the van.  I considered selling it last year but really glad I didn't, it's been my portable safe haven during lockdown - I can go wherever I want, eat without interfering with the locals and even have a portable toilet so I don't have to share a covid-infested cubicle with the great unwashed.

I have a GSX1400, which was the bike I really wanted when I passed my bike test back in 2001.  It came up cheap a few years ago and I bought it.  I've done the project cars / project bikes thing, never had the time/money/skills/contacts to do it justice, so now I just have one mostly-standard bike that does exactly what I want it to do and I love it.  I've had it as long as I've had my Elgrand and never once considered selling it.  It's cost me tyres and oil changes.  I really don't spend a lot of money on it at all, although if I had the spare cash and space I'd probably buy a smaller bike as a spare / wet weather ride, and strip down and refurb the GSX as it's looking more than a bit ropey now.

I have a Boardman MX Comp hybrid bike which I bought a few years back, I bought a couple of accessories when new but it has everything I need right now, so I don't spend on it.  I rode it a lot during lockdown when the weather was nice and there was naff all else do to.  I toyed with the idea of training for a week-long tour in Cornwall in 2021 but once Lockdown 1.0 ended I forgot all about it.  My daughter loves going out in the pillion seat so I might pump up the tyres and take her for a ride tomorrow.  I don't really like cycling in the cold, though.  If I trained up for longer rides I'd like to get a proper tourer - something long and low with loads of luggage for doing solo tours - but that's a lot of training.

I almost got into photography in the mid-00s but thankfully avoided spending too much.  I still have some good bodies and a handful of lenses but these days I use an Olympus TG-3 which does everything I want it to do (although I wish it had a longer lens for shooting RC races) and my DSLRs sit in the cases going sticky.  I really must clean them up this year but I don't plan on spending any money on them - just some Sugru to remold the sticky grips and maybe a professional clean.

I only ever buy cheap clothes and shoes, I'll only buy an expensive jacket if it's going to keep me warm and dry on a walk, cut my own hair and service my own vehicles.  I even do most of the DIY and home refurbishments unless it requires special certification to do it, all because it frees up my spare cash to spend on toy cars :) 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Yeah, the LT1 that replaced the TPI was so bland looking in comparison.

I think everything else from this point ,was less about how it looked. Modern stuff is hidden behind pointless plastic! 

I think GM just needed to get something out there in the fuel injection race? I think ford had the sequential out by then? 

9 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Either way, I love that torque curve.

I've tried to utilise that with a 272 cam, also means there'll be power from the converter stall speed ,so less bogging (and i can't be bothered pulling the box......) 

With the MS3 having MAP sensor built in, I've been able to do away with the ugly MAF and the piping.

6 hours ago, EvilSpike said:

I race motorbikes a bit, but mainly do trackdays. I've got an '07 Kawasaki ZX6r and a '95 Honda RVF750 RC45, both in race trim.

I've got a Suzuki GSX-R 750 and a ZXR400 as road bikes, the latter needs a bit of work to get it running again, and the ZX6r need a new 3/4th gear and selector fork so the engine will have to come out at some point.

I've just bought a 250 2 stroke Beta trials bike, where I live in the far South West of England there's no racetracks for a long way, so I thought I'd give trials a go as it's motor sport I can do nearby.

I like to surf, SUP and cycle a lot too, and a two year old son puts paid to a lot of my free time. I'm hoping he might like to have a go at trials at some point too, so it'll be something we can do together whilst he still wants to hang out with his old man.

50331139298_79d3b30864_b.jpg

I want to toss my hat into track days with Bikes, but man seems like another HUGE money pit!

• Like 1

Nice to see fellow bikers on TC. Currently i own an F850GS and before that i rode Japanese cruisers. Suzuki Marauder & Honda Shadow.

I used to build and fly Rc aircraft, mostly scale civilian types like this Beaver, but most friends got out of the hobby. I no longer find time and energy to pack aircraft and gear into the car and drive an hour for the airfield. 

Due to covid i have to spend less on hobbies so i will stop collecting new stuff and try and enjoy what i have..

850 cpit.jpg

BEAVER.jpg

BEAVER 2 low.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Triker ( 2 family 3 seater trikes so we can all get out together.) also have a trailer tent as we can head away for the weekend. The blue one is my Third trike and the Yellow one is my good ladies 2nd trike.

Jetski'ing with tow behind toys to keep kids entertained. (its an oldie but a goodie)

Caravaning with family

19577208_10155416779732208_6684847221507161221_o trailer tents 2019-11-03_05-25-32 2019-11-03_05-26-57 2019-11-03_05-25-57

• Like 4

What kind of engine those trikers are powered with ? are you pulling the caravan with those bikes ?

38 minutes ago, Baddon said:

Triker

What’s the rule for riding/driving this? Do you still need a bike licence or can it be considered a three wheel car? I assume it has a reverse gear? I’m not a biker and not likely to be one but these look like good fun..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lee76 said:

What’s the rule for riding/driving this? Do you still need a bike licence or can it be considered a three wheel car? I assume it has a reverse gear? I’m not a biker and not likely to be one but these look like good fun..

In UK, you NOW need a bike licence (but not if you have like me been riding one and have insurance continuity) You dont legally need a helmet OR a seatbelt unless your going into other countries. IF like ours its a three seater the passenger's (if not in line with the rider) must wear seatbelts.

There are 2 very different types of trikes -

bike based which can be very heavy to steer IF not set up correctly (so be careful of home builds) also most wont have reverse. 

Car based - if production (not home build) they can be very expensive, are easier to handle as they are very well set up and easy to steer and change gear. They do have reverse. The modern ones are just a joy to ride.

There is a third type -much less common in the reverse trike (hammerhead) these are interesting to ride. The one huge advantage is you CANT forget what width is behind you.

A few things to note - All but the Rewaco have the gearstick on the side of the chassis, so you cant see the lever and have to learn and memorise the gear box pattern. I learned on a VW trike and then moved to a Rewaco so can easily ride both.

On all the common trikes (wider at rear) you HAVE to learn the width of the trike so you dont hit things with the back end. So pick a wide road with cats eyes and gullies and move slowly to one side till you feel or hear the cats eyes/gullys. Till you have it comfortably keep the front wheel in the centre of your lane.

They attract a LOT of attention. So they are not for the shy.

Join a group of trikers and get them to let you see their trikes till you find what you like/suits you. Also get them to help you find a suitable trike so you dont get a lemon OR pay a silly price. (see it all the time a new member joins our group and says look what I got !!!!!!!!!)

Your never to old IF you have decent vision, co-ordination and reasonable strength. We have an over 80 year old and 2 years ago a lady joined and got a trike as her present to herself for her 50th. (Family bought her a sportscar when she asked for a trike.....she sold it and we helped her to get her first and 2nd trike)

If in doubt ask (PM me with any questions) Where are you based?

Go for it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dazibao said:

What kind of engine those trikers are powered with ? are you pulling the caravan with those bikes ?

My blue Rewaco RF1 has a 1600 ford Zetec matched to a Ford fiesta Zetec 5 speed gearbox. (its mid engined) so better centre of gravity and lower as well. Its sort of the sports car of trikes. On a smooth twisty road this is jus the best thing on three. Think of it like an BMW M3

The yellow Boom Muscle has a 1600 Ford Duratec gearbox mated to a VW 4 speed box. Its rear engined and needs to have ballast added to the front to counter this. So its heavier. The suspension is an older setup BUT its also more rolley in the corners. BUT on a bumpy poor road or just out for a cruise this is my preferred ride. Think of it like an old Jag.

No to towing caravan, but yes to towing (both our trikes have tow bars) we tow the Jetski or the trailer tent. Towing capacity is low so you need to be careful. very noticeable on increasing breaking distances.

Edited by Baddon
more info.

I've been wasting a lot of time on Quora, writing about WWII tanks... Considering how much I like WWII tanks, it's odd that I don't have any Tamiya RC tank. (Oh, I remembered... I can't afford them!

Like many people these days, I've been trying not to spend money. (I did get a Rochobby Jeep, though) 

But when you stay home, you use your computer more.  My computer is 8 years old.  I was going to build a computer. I bought a box, power supply, graphics card, SSD. 

sQjEa2V.jpg

When I was about to buy the motherboard and the cpu, it seemed all the nerds had the same idea all at once, including Henry Cavill.  They are stuck home, why not build a computer, right?  Parts supply was low because they were all coming from China.  I don't want to pay $300 for the Ryzen 3600 chip that used to cost $180!  Five months later, I'm half way given up.  Might as well wait for Ryzen 5600 next year. My computer will be 9 years old by then.  

So instead, I built a couple of 1/48 scale tank kits I have. 

r4EXkJQ.jpg

kFoOVOK.jpg

I don't know why I'm so lazy about painting 3D things when I'm not that lazy about 2D stuff.  

Painting is a good way to spend time, rather than money.    

All you need is a pencil and paper.  I already have watercolor pencils from few years ago. (Didn't even know that there were colored pencils you can wet)  

i0Wxz6G.jpg

One mistake, though.  I didn't test out the colors...

I thought "umber" was supposed to be brown, but it came out yellow...

Oh no, she became a lemon person! (jaundice maybe? I think it's funny how people turn lemon when they need to eat lemons) 

8FfetIY.jpg

It took a lot of other colors to save that. But I am happy with the hair color.  

MNs5CJ9.jpg

Red hair is relatively easy.  

Jxq3Wdy.jpg

Watercolor pencils always come out more transparent than I would like.

EynDUHO.jpg

These all have that faded look.

But even digital ones tend to come out transparent.  So it could be just me. (black hair wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. At least, I could fix it at any time)

uPoNreL.jpg

W5YcUPP.jpg

F7R46Gn.jpg

Drawing on actual paper has certain amount of thrill to it because you can't fix it. 

I wanted to paint with little more pigment.

So I ordered White Night artist's watercolor set.  Usually this would cost about $30-$40, but I found one for $12 on Walmart.  Too good to be true!  

DjZgegt.jpg

What I got was White Night alright (I think...I can't read Russian), but for children...

I highly doubt that professional watercolor set has a picture of a bear with a bow tie holding a balloon!! (*ugh!*--that's my utmost frustration, because manner maketh man)  

XHjnwg3.jpg

Walmart refunded it. They wouldn't take it back either. Probably not worth paying $5 shipping to try to sell it for $4.  So I have a free watercolor set to play with... (yay...?)  

I bought many Tamiya paints, but this is my first watercolor set.  I was very disappointed that it was a children's set. (It smells nice enough to lick, though, perhaps that's not so good for children's set?)  One problem with this set is that you can never tell what color is going to show up on paper.  There are 5 greenish colors, but they all look about the same in the case. I don't know which one produces the green I want.  

I also ordered 3 sketchbooks for $7 each. They didn't arrive.  Did Henry Cavill buy them too, or what, huh Witcher?

yR3T6Nh.jpg

Not only did Amazon just cancel my order, but they also raised the price to $10!  I wouldn't buy it on principle! (So I ordered just 1)  And it came crushed like this.  I suppose winter is when people tend to stay indoors and sketch stuff.  Many orders, many mishaps, etc.  

JdvbPCE.jpg

Anyway, at least black color from the children's set is darker than the watercolor pencil. 

I'm happy that it could complement the watercolor pencils (for now).   

VR1vfgt.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

@Juggular, your drawings are amazing as always, keep it up for the folks!

I build a computer this summer... havent finished it yet tho, cant remeber the the names of parts, but the case is a thermaltake soprano, like 12 years old, and I bought a Asus motherboard that was hot back in 2008, with a hugh *** 512mb graphic card from nvidia with 4 sata 320GB hdd's. The processor choice is a pentium 4 2.0 or 2.4, and some overclocking. couldnt plugu the cables from the power button onto the board and just left everything 5 months ago or more. Good you reminded me of that as I am awaiting my drone quad gear and a new buggy the Thunder Tiger AT10EB a.ka. Phoenix EB. People are telling me thunder tiger took over a bit of associated and this thing looks almost like a b3 or b4.1 and thats why

I am gonna slam a 10,5T LRP motor and 120A X car hobbyking esc with a shorty lipo.... might also hook up my MST gyro with titanium gear servo... I am getting a 24T pinion with it and I hope its fast or just jumps at least.. am I thirlled about it :D not a lot of hobbies can do that

edit: just look at the box, its got this 90s to 00's rtr hype on it haha but anyways while I wait I could finish the coputer as my laptop is getting full with rc picutres

Thunder-Tiger-AT-10-EB.jpg

a actual picture of the car from the seller

thunder-tiger-buggy-1-10-slika-139286936

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 1:1 project car, it's a '93 Corolla hatchback, I swapped the engine for a 20V 4A-GE Blacktop with a 6 speed manual, which is equipped with an LSD from the factory, I've also converted the rear brakes to disks and installed BC racing coilovers as well as a stage 1 clutch. It's no sports car by any means but it's fun drive on the weekends and with 100mm open stacks it sounds incredible. I did all the work myself, including the wiring, not sure I'll do it again though, I just knew I had to do this at least once in my life. It's mostly finished and I've been driving it regularly for a year without any issue, next thing on the to-do list is the exhaust.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, VileQuenouille said:

My 1:1 project car, it's a '93 Corolla hatchback, I swapped the engine for a 20V 4A-GE Blacktop with a 6 speed manual, which is equipped with an LSD from the factory, I've also converted the rear brakes to disks and installed BC racing coilovers as well as a stage 1 clutch. It's no sports car by any means but it's fun drive on the weekends and with 100mm open stacks it sounds incredible. I did all the work myself, including the wiring, not sure I'll do it again though, I just knew I had to do this at least once in my life. It's mostly finished and I've been driving it regularly for a year without any issue, next thing on the to-do list is the exhaust.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Man, got to love ITBs!!!!

• Like 1

On the hellcat forum a tuner and unlocked ECU just popped up!!!! And so the build for summer begins!!!!

Well, primarily archery and photography. I own about 10 bows, from your average run of the mill compound, a couple of lever compounds to a primitive bamboo Asiatic and classic 1960s Damon Howatt recurve. The bow pictured is a customized Oneida Black Eagle built for me by Joe Ciampa of American Eagle Bows out of Maine. It is an absolute dream to shoot.

For cameras, until recently I used to shoot a Nikon D700. Had a ton of glass for it as well - but Canon, my first photo equipment love, called me back to it and I switched back to a Canon R mirrorless. Am now working on collecting lenses. Currently I have the kit lens, a 24-105mm and the big honker in the pic below, a 100-400mm. Still need a wide angle and a portrait lens. Had fun with some astrophotography this summer. :-)

2019041695160328.jpg

Canon_R.jpg

MilkyWay.jpg

• Like 4

Am I allowed to say ex-wife, 5 teenagers and a new wife? 😉

Between them, there is little free time or money for RC 😂

• Haha 1