Richiemail

TA07 Compatible Bodyshell (51407)?

Hi all, after many Tamiya buggies, I decided to have a go at an on-road touring car. After a bit of reading the TA07 PRO seemed like a good entry point. Belt drive would make for a bit of a different build experience, Since the TA07 doesn't come with anything (including tyres), I was looking for a body shell I liked. 190mm apparently being the standard for electric 1/10 touring. I found the Tamiya 51407 shell (Datsun 240Z Rally), one of my all time favourite real-world cars, and was sold.

Since then I'm noticing the bodysheel is referencing a 251mm wheelbase, while the TA07 is 257mm wheelbase. I also found a Tamiya matching parts list that suggested this shell is only compatible with TT-02 /D/E chassis.

Can anyone tell me if this is likely to fit? The body shell included instructions to change TA05 wheelbase to short by moving some spacers on the rear arms. Comparing those instructions to the TA07 guide, the spacer arrangement doesn't appear to include sufficient spacers to move the wheels 6mm closer together...

Any guidance greatly appreciated!!

Your right the Datsun  wheelbase is 251mm. 

I've converted several touring cars to 251mm from 257mm. 

TA02

TA04

TA06

TB evo III 

F103GT 

A quick way is to use the rear arms from a Ta04ss but they use 3mm suspension shafts not the 2.6mm as used on later chassis's (trf420 excluded). 

Moving spacers about may give you a few mm but not as much as 6mm.

If you want I'll take a couple of photos of my converted ta06 to show you, I'd say the suspension arms would be the same offset. Which model is it? TA07, R, RR, Pro or MS. 

Hey Svenb,

It's the TA07 PRO, I figured I could hop it up over time if I'm getting on well with it. Pic's would be appreciated. 1st diagram below is from the body shell back, showing how to adjust TA05 wheelbase. 2nd pic shows the TA07 manual and the rear arm instructions. Even is I move both A1 spacers to the back, I'm only closing the gap by 2mm. If I do the same on the front arms I may get another 2mm (assuming it doesn't create fit/clearance issues elsewhere).

IMG_0046.jpeg

IMG_0047.jpeg

I'll it out for a picture. 

No point adjusting the front arms unless it doesn't fit in the wheel arch very well. 

If your set on the Datsun body I'd use ta04ss arms(rear) drill out the rear uprights to take a 3mm shaft and fine tune with spacers. 

Thanks very much! Just ordered the TA-04ss arms, I'll give this a go. I am pretty set on the Datsun body at the moment. I was considering getting a TT-02 just to have something to mount it on!

3 hours ago, Richiemail said:

Thanks very much! Just ordered the TA-04ss arms, I'll give this a go. I am pretty set on the Datsun body at the moment. I was considering getting a TT-02 just to have something to mount it on!

IMG_20201228_201520.jpg

Sven,

Thanks again for all your help. TA04SS arms have arrived, I also ordered the 3x30mm shafts (9805682/19805682) for these new arms (and accompanying e-clips). Did you need any other parts to fit the TA04SS arms on your TA06?

• Like 1

I use the Porsche 911 RSR (251 mm) on my TA05 V2 (257) using the standard arms.  I’m able to reduce the wheel base in front and back to around 254 using the spacers. The wheel spacing in rear is not perfect, but works.  

I also use the TA04SS arms on my TA05 V1 with the Porsche 911 GT2 body, which is 236mm.  I think the using the SS arms for 251 is overkill, as your going to come up shy on the other end.

E8EC7540-2367-4790-A631-3EA8CE1B7AB8.jpeg

BECD5B55-A796-479F-BC73-E65A3300E5A9.jpeg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

I think the using the SS arms for 251 is overkill, as your going to come up shy on the other end.

Only use the rears

14 minutes ago, svenb said:

Only use the rears

Yes I am aware as I use them on my TA05 V1, which has longer suspension shafts than the TA05 V2 / TA07.  The rear SS arms offer a +10 mm wheelbase offset.  So you will go from 257 to 247.  Since the SS arms are also wider at the base than the kit arms on TA07, you can not use the 4mm suspension spacer, at best only 1 mm, so you may be able to squeeze out a 248 mm wheelbase. So you're still shy 3mm.  

13 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

Yes I am aware as I use them on my TA05 V1, which has longer suspension shafts than the TA05 V2 / TA07.  The rear SS arms offer a +10 mm wheelbase offset.  So you will go from 257 to 247.  Since the SS arms are also wider at the base than the kit arms on TA07, you can not use the 4mm suspension spacer, at best only 1 mm, so you may be able to squeeze out a 248 mm wheelbase. So you're still shy 3mm.  

Yes understood but if you look at my photo above I've used the later upright which I drilled out to take a 3mm shaft, this allows some fine tuning. 

I've used the ta04ss arms on a few chassis's and always got 251mm good enough to fit a capri too. 

I've put my ta06 with a capri body away but this is the same set up I've used on a tb03. 

16097822756485288575209237074207.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Richiemail said:

Sven,

Thanks again for all your help. TA04SS arms have arrived, I also ordered the 3x30mm shafts (9805682/19805682) for these new arms (and accompanying e-clips). Did you need any other parts to fit the TA04SS arms on your TA06?

What uprights do you have? 

I was going to drill out the uprights that came with the TA07 to 3mm, but I was planning to get another set in case I needed to revert back. I’ve just ordered the TRF420 uprights, so I can keep the originals as is.

So that’s the TA-04SS arms (arrived yesterday), waiting on the 3x30mm shafts and e-clips. Just ordered the new uprights. Hopefully I can get started this weekend!!

Thanks to both of you, Sven and Ramen36 for the advice!

Guys the Ta04ss arms do provide a 10mm shorter wheelbase, however if only the rear arms are used you will achieve 251mm wheelbase. The rear arms offer 6mm difference and the front arms offer 4mm difference so both together you achieve 10mm shorter. This is good to fit 251mm wheelbase shells by using rear arms only on chassis's that can use ta04 type arms

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 4:58 PM, svenb said:

Only use the rears

👍

Just waiting on the part for the fog lights to dry, but thanks to Svenb & Ramen36's guidance, I'm very happy with the result!!

IMG_0071.jpeg

• Like 3

Epic thread I must say. Always wanted a Tamiya Porsche but not on a TT-02 chassis. A TA-07 chassis sounds about right :-)

@Richiemail: Any updates on your TA-07 with TA-04SS rear arms and did you experience any issues?

Thanks

Does anyone have a partnumber for the 3mm e-clips? I see that Tamiya has a set of e-clips, but it includes only 2-off 3mm.