Smokeylocc420

Ultima Pro Love

Hi I just kinda fixed up an ultima pro rolling chassis I picked up a few months ago.

Took it out for a spin. Very fast, temps were great (albeit being just about freezing weather)

She handled well, & nice experience for me to hear old school motor scream.

esc: Novak 610-RV had this since like 93 & i haven't used it for more than 15+yr, still works great, especially on 2.4Ghz.

motor: Some brushed piece with a 15t pinion

battery: 2s 5000mah

I guess the front knuckle and end links, being dormant for so long were under such immediate shock from being used again and in such cold weather, were just like "I give up"

Love this car tho...So anyone know of an upgrade or anything? Are the ultima rb6 uprights stronger or will they even work?

IMG_1573.JPG

IMG_1580a.jpg

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1584.JPG

IMG_1586.JPG

IMG_1585.JPG

• Like 3

Hey there, yep, I feel the love for the Ultima Pro! I’ve still got mine from the very early nineties. Here’s a couple of pics, one from the early time period and the other what it looks like now. Raced it all over the country and it was always a well built, fast, and competitive car that won its fair share of races. Mine was eventually replaced by a Losi JRX pro but time has definitely treated the Ultima much more gently than the Losi, not too sure how restorable the Losi is but the Ultima is still solid. Mine will be getting a restore over the next 12 months too.  I see Marwan RC sell some nice body shells and tyres etc but I’m really hoping for Kyosho to re-release this to also help replace some of the bits. One thing I can say, fortunately my spray painting skills have improved vastly since when I painted this particular shell lol !

yours looks like a cool ol car too mate, I bet it screamed on a Lipo! Love the old Novak in there too, very cool. I’m not too sure that there are many upgrades needed on the Pro to be honest as this particular model came out with all the bits you could wish for back in the day, in fact, I honestly can’t remember anything ever breaking on this car. I note that someone has replaced your front uprights as they should be the same fibre material as the rear ones on your car ..Go and have fun with yours, it’s great to hear of another one up and running as that’s what these were built to do :)

Cheers 

Kurt

1AFB4957-E7CD-44D7-840F-1F13D336C4E6.jpeg

FDC6486D-F69E-4596-8DAB-3843198FB416.jpeg

8E0A8A92-CE7F-4091-992D-E372A4834CB1.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks Kurt. By upgrades, just meaning a beefier front upright, that's all.

But I just got through bashing some more after fixing the broken upright with super glue & JB Weld. I beefed them both up actually...They won't be breaking again soon I can tell you that much haha.

Yea I noticed the front tower being metal as well...I just need a wing & front bumper.

Aha!, gotcha on the front upright.

Glad to hear it's been out getting some more miles on it! 

Front bumpers were crazy prices for the original ones when I last looked but perhaps the new re release ultima bumper might fit (or could be made to)....

Good luck on the wing, Marwans products have a good reputation if you are wanting to go the way of an original look. 

Make sure you post more pics when done!

Cheers

Kurt

• Like 1

Hey Kurt I forgot to mention,  nice cool vintage ultima pro you got there as well dude. I'd like to get some legit ultima pro tires/wheels, but these og tamiya ovals hit good on the slippey frozen pavement/grass & dirt patches outside.

Had to hang her up on the old pegboard, as we just started getting pounded w white radioactive ice from above haha

I kid on the radioactivity...or do I...Isotopic Fallout is almost everywhere in varying doses. JK. Or do I?!

JK. I'll stop being weird now so back on track.. sorry I'm tired.

I will definitely get a video or two up once weather improves, but I have had her running indoors on my kitchen floor before so hmmm...(good for burnouts only B))

IMG_1588[1].JPG

Cheers SL420! Yours looks to have an interesting room mate hanging there too....nice couple of cars you have there.

enjoy the rest of your week and stay out of the snow:lol:!..........best stick to those kitchen burnouts!

Best regards and I look forward to the video whenever you get the chance.

Kurt

• Like 1

I've always thought that the steering knuckles for those Ultimas were very brittle. I broke so many that I still have NIB spares in my parts box. I built an Ultima from spare parts a while back. I used some new (at the time) RB5 parts to get 2.2 wheels all around. I worked well. Much stronger and access to more tire options.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 3:12 AM, Smokeylocc420 said:

I guess the front knuckle and end links, being dormant for so long were under such immediate shock from being used again and in such cold weather, were just like "I give up"

Love the car!

I think the part #W5005 is the gen parts?

But I'd bet that most through eyelets would fit? 

I went with CNC eBay ones on my Ultima.

I think cars like the, Scorpion and beetle, still use bearing fronts? which would mean not having to go for fugly 12mm hex 2.2" wheels.

• Like 1

Thanks Wooders! I just JB Welded the crap outta them, I don't see them breaking soon. Lotta snow & salt outside so I'm staying dormant for the time being. As soon as it dries up I'm bustin a move!