Sign in to follow this  
El Gecko

Current driveshaft solutions for ORV?

Well I've finally done it. Apparently the 380 boat motor was too much power for the old Brat (all the drifting lately probably didn't help either). The motor side hex shaft will no longer transfer power to the wheel, and is spinning in the stub axle on the gearbox.

I want to keep the original locked diff in the Brat, which means I'll steal the hex shaft setup from my Blackfoot. This leaves the possibility of upgrading the Blackfoot shafts instead of getting direct replacements (although if anyone has spare hex shafts that aren't completely worn out please let me know). I'd love a Thorp telescoping setup but they're hard to find (which means super expensive), and it doesn't seem like MIP's version made it past the market research stage.

The rere Frog universal kit seems to be available, but I've read some horror stories about the dogbones falling out when using bigger tires? Is there a way to space out the stub axles so the dogbones stay in? (and don't bind midway through the travel?)

I'm thinking of trying to piece together a custom telescoping slider shaft setup using Thorp stub axles from Ebay and whatever slider shafts I can find that will fit the Thorp universal joints. Maybe some shortened Traxxas (shudder) shafts could work unless there are other brands that fit better with less modification? Not sure why I can't find Thorp slider shafts, because the stub axles seem to be available.

What setup is everyone using on their ORVs these days that actually works? The diff hasn't totally blown up yet, so I'm just looking for driveshafts.

• Like 1

I use the stock hex shafts or the stock re-re Frog dogbones/cups (not the "upgrade" universals) in my all my ORV monsters. 

• Thanks 1

I have the Thorp Telescoping on my Frog, and the Tamiya dog bones in my BarbieFoot 2.  I’m getting ready to replace the Thorp with Tamiya vintage gears and new dog bones.

On the BarbieFoot 2, I’ve had no issues with the bones popping out, but I shortened the shocks with spacers to limit the range of motion.

On my Frog, I’m using Traxxas telescoping shafts. I’ll find out the part number for you. I’m also using Robinson axles since those have the yoke end AND a pinhole for drive hub.

Terry

• Thanks 1

On 12/29/2020 at 5:19 AM, Frog Jumper said:

On my Frog, I’m using Traxxas telescoping shafts. I’ll find out the part number for you.

Traxxas #4851. You’ll have to use a needle file to widen the yoke ball holes since the Thorp yoke ball pins are larger in diameter than the Traxxas...

• Thanks 1