Beetlemankurt

Kenworth W924....where are all the KW conversion parts hiding?

Well, now that my Scania is nearing on being completed (not that they ever fully are!).... I’m already starting to think about what to build next winter/Spring and am leaning towards building a Kenworth 924 and as scale as possible. That will fill the Euro and American niche quite nicely and with the shorter bonnet/hood is closer to the King Hauler in outline than some later models  :)

Ok, so I know the King Hauler is based on a number of American Rigs all rolled into one and to me, looks primarily KW with some Peterbilt thrown for good measure.....trouble is, I’m fussy and want it to be as close as possible to the 1:1. I’ve looked onlinefor any upgrade grilles in particular and have come to the conclusion that any aluminium KW versions are no longer offered for sale and that this means either a 3D printed version or a scratch built styrene version (both of the later would need to be airbrushed with Alclad). Am I right here? Not too scared of the scratch build stuff as I know the headlight housings, headlight frames, roof and mudguards/fenders also would require some modification along with the cab roof to look as scale as possible. Sounds like fun :)

so, does anyone know anything available out there that I may have missed? I’m kinda surprised there’s not much floating around given the length of service and popularity of the W model Kenworths. Happy to hear your thoughts....

Cheers

Kurt

• Like 2

Here’s what I’m thinking along the lines of.....(picture from Model Cars Magazine)...
image.thumb.jpeg.d1516dbdbde2f133614f0e0227decd7b.jpeg

and in these local NZ colours (log truck would be cool).image.thumb.jpeg.4aae007b498f8542c200896fd9b4908a.jpeg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Beetlemankurt said:

Here’s what I’m thinking along the lines of.....(picture from Model Cars Magazine)...
image.thumb.jpeg.d1516dbdbde2f133614f0e0227decd7b.jpeg

and in these local NZ colours (log truck would be cool).image.thumb.jpeg.4aae007b498f8542c200896fd9b4908a.jpeg

Kind of looks like Mike Lambert/Holmes Group colours 👍

The grille I have is off a toy truck in the states, I doubt it would fit a conventional cab.

There are alloy KW style grilles available, some Chinese made, I think RC4WD used to sell one, then there is some American 1/14 truck club guys that make them themselves. There will be a few on eBay, try searching 1/14 grille 🙂

I will have a search later and see what I can find you. It depends how far you want to modify it, as most are made for a stock KH, and don't allow for the hood bulge on the W series.

• Like 1

Cheers Topforcein and Berman, Much appreciated. @Berman yep it’s a Mike Lambert rig pre the Holmes era. A family friend drove for them for years and I spent a a number of days bashing around the forest here in his W Model KW very similar to the one pictured. 

As well as keeping an eye of the shop link above I’ll have to track down some of the examples of the home made stuff in the American clubs as that sounds interesting. I’ve seen some great examples on YouTube that would appear to be homemade. For me, if it didn’t have the proper hood bulge it would bug me every time I looked at it....ahhhh....the joys of having a fixation with the minor details :P..:blink:...

I’ll keep researching what’s out there and formulate a bit of a plan. It will be a while before funds allow anyway but no harm pre planning I figure :D.

Cheers all

Kurt

Cheers Re-Bugged, I had gone to use Semi Joe's a month or so ago for some tyres but my ipad kept telling me it might not be a legit site (message doesn't come very often) so it's good to know it is a proper store. Those grilles dont look half bad. Will keep an eye on the other store too.

Regards

Kurt

• Like 1

"True Scale RC"("Shapeways") has an aluminum one. Also just recently "RC4WD" just re-released there version I think they are both what you are looking for.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 12:04 PM, Beetlemankurt said:

Cheers Re-Bugged, I had gone to use Semi Joe's a month or so ago for some tyres but my ipad kept telling me it might not be a legit site (message doesn't come very often) so it's good to know it is a proper store. Those grilles dont look half bad.....

Kurt, 

I can also vouch for SemiJoes.  Also, Cooper813 on Evilbay. Quality items, mostly Machined Alumininium parts. Always good prices and free shipping! 😉

Awesome, thanks mate. Still on the radar to build one of these at some point. I got a bit distracted by the new Eflite Focke Wulf 190 rc plane and snapped one of those up so the grand hauler dropped down a peg on the rc plans list...but its still on there :)....

Added a few new bits to my Scania recently so still chipping away at it. Good fun.

Cheers

Kurt

• Like 1

Well, my other projects are far enough along now that I took the plunge and ordered a King Hauler body set today. Will take a few weeks to get here from the UK and then I'll slowly but surely start the bodywork alterations. The plan is that by the time it's finished, I should have saved up enough for the rest of the kit. Then when the kit arrives I'll flick off the body set that comes with it. 

I figure that by doing it this way, this will give me some time to not rush the body. I'm going to make a grille from styrene and have found a place nearby that does chrome like plating on plastic so that'll be cool. 

Once I get started, I'll start a thread for those that may wish to follow along (As long as you are not in a hurry or you may be somewhat disappointed...ha ha).

BTW, does anyone have any of the simpler stock standard Kenworth (name) emlems that attach to the side of the hood/bonnet? I used to see these on a certain trading site made from photo etched aluminium but now there just seems to be later model versions listed ir those with flames around them etc which isn't what I'm after. Should've grabbed some.back then, oh well, live and learn....if anyone's got any stashed away, I'm interested. Failing that, I may have to find a local 3D print service that can knock some out for me.

So...here we go!....albeit it at snails pace....

Cheers

Kurt

• Like 2

On 10/16/2021 at 10:41 PM, Beetlemankurt said:

Well, my other projects are far enough along now that I took the plunge and ordered a King Hauler body set today. Will take a few weeks to get here from the UK and then I'll slowly but surely start the bodywork alterations. The plan is that by the time it's finished, I should have saved up enough for the rest of the kit. Then when the kit arrives I'll flick off the body set that comes with it. 

......BTW, does anyone have any of the simpler stock standard Kenworth (name) emlems that attach to the side of the hood/bonnet? I used to see these on a certain trading site made from photo etched aluminium but now there just seems to be later model versions listed ir those with flames around them etc which isn't what I'm after.....

Garden Trucking in Phoenix, AZ sells them. They ship Worldwide. I don't remember the URL, but it's an easy search. 😉

• Like 1

@Tim.Senecal, welcome to Tamiyaclub! You are in good company! VERY nice rig you have there,  I love that it’s a day cab KW also. The grille you have posted is definitely the best looking of the alloy grilles around for sure, comes the closest to having the correct angles along the top of the bonnnet/hood I reckon. Many other offerings seem to be too flat, well suited to the later W900 models but not the earlier ones. 

@ Carmine A, cheers. I was actually having a good look through that website last week so great minds alike :). They’ve certainly got some cool products. I’m sure they will be lightening my wallet for some bits and pieces at some stage….

l’ve been umming and ahhhing about what to do with the grille situation while I wait patiently for the row boat to arrive from the UK with my King Hauler body…4.5 weeks so far……ah well, one of the few downsides to living almost at the bottom of the globe I guess…..I’m sure it’ll be here soon. 

In the meantime, my wandering/scheming mind has convinced me what I need to do next, so…..I’ve decided that I’m going to buy a Revell 1:25 Kenworth W900 kit (short nose version) to use as a good reference measurements to scale up to 1:14 scale. I’m planning to use this and also photo references online to get the accurate curves etc that I want and will also have a crack at vacuum forming some new styrene front guards/fenders as well.

The grille, I’m going to make from scratch out of styrene and use Alclad Chrome paint for the chrome effect…..that’s the plan anyway! I’m really looking forward to it. Gonna be fun :)….

Keep the KW pics coming! Awesome to see.

cheers

Kurt

• Like 1

Happy New Year everyone!, well I haven’t had much in the way of progress since late last year as the Revell model kit I have ordered to use as a reference, seems to have got itself lost somewhere between the USA and here. The model shop I ordered from has had to place a new order and it should arrive sometime in the next few weeks. Ahhh the joys of shipping delays in today’s world eh :mellow:….

In the meantime however, my Lesu Dayton spider rims arrived! Very impressed with the look and quality of these. Just need to narrow them up now to get rid of the ‘lip’ on the inside so that they properly fit the narrow tyre. They will get a coat of paint and some subtle weathering as this is a hard working log truck, not a ‘show rig’ so needs just the right amount of dirt and grime B).

Have a great weekend all!

Kurt

E9B28BC2-89CA-4750-9C30-E40DA7EBF420.jpeg

• Like 3

IMPRESSIVE looking Wheels Kurt!! I may have to look into some. Perfect for an old Trailer idea I had...

Cheers mate, they also do some rear duallies in the same style that might suit your trailer idea too. Very nice quality I must say. I'm going to pick some up a bit later down the track for this rig.

Kurt

• Thanks 1