Nwc100

Custom colour!

In another moment of lockdown boredom I've ordered an R35 GTR body to paint, it's cheaper than keep buying whole new cars apparently and without the chassis to distract me I'm hoping I might find some patience to paint it with.

As usual box art is not really for me so I've had a look for some inspiration, first up is Usain Bolt's gold edition, I'm not massively into it but it's pretty unique, maybe a bit too bling for me.

My favourite so far in the middle is the blue, it's an absolutely gorgeous colour and we don't have a blue car yet, it looks I bit matte to me, is that possible to achieve?

And then finally what I can only describe as Katsu curry orange, Nissan call it Katsura orange!! It's pretty unique and we could do a nice version to sit alongside the mean green Porsche!

So as usual, any thoughts, suggestions on other colours and most importantly any suggestions to achieve any of the colours is more than welcome.

Thanks.

Nick

Screenshot_20201229-165304~2.png

Screenshot_20201229-164435~2.png

Screenshot_20201229-164449~2.png

Haha, didn't take you long to scratch that itch again ... I like it ... wish I could, but my hand is still limited due to dislocated finger :(

There are PS Gold and Champagne options straight out of the can, if you wanted the bling of the gold, though I think too close to the Porsche you've already got.

Matte finishes are possible. PS-55 Flat Clear. You spray it on the outside of the shell (once you've removed the protective film of course). Just make sure to mask off windows and any other areas you want to say gloss. It can be used quite effectively, but you have to layer it on in multiple light coats. Unfortunately my Hotshot body I used it on got trashed, so I can't show you any examples.

If you would like to be a guinea pig, I know Tamiya has released some new PS Orange colours, I've been thinking of either doing a Mustang or AMG body in Orange (possibly matte afterwards) for a TT-01/2 in new year, so if you go that route, I would be interested to see how you go.

Another option, might be to branch away from single body colour. Maybe a basic division of the car, either 1/3 2/3 or bonnet/roof line, and mix it up with a purple (metallic or deep) and a silver or gun metal. 

• Like 1

Not GTR, but some concepts (i think taken from one of the Grand Turismo games, may or may not be based on real world liveries).

The first with the white, should be easy enough to mask off a similar shape/pattern on the GTR body.

The second, possibly the same layering used on the Porsche, only with a PS-38/39 Translucent Blue/Light Blue instead of yellow, and then maybe PS-10/18 Purple/Metallic Purple instead of the fluorescent green, with the translucent silver again between the colors.

4611699296469812224_23.jpg

8430770465802322456_23.jpg

• Like 1

Some great ideas thanks, I'm definitely going to test out some matte options, I'll have a look for a really cheap body to have a trial run on, and try out masking some areas, I've never masked anything than the windows which are done already so will be a good practice run.

The GTR is going to be orange I think, we have in stock translucent yellow, orange, red & silver and then camel yellow and also copper! But no metallic orange.

I'm wondering what translucent yellow/orange or red then  translucent silver backed with the copper then white might be like, I'm not sure if the copper will be wasted and just turn it brown!

I've seen a great example of translucent orange, silver and then backed with black by @Kingfisher and it was his that inspired the Yaris, but I don't want to copy that! I'm a bit unsure what way to go right now, may try out a few coke bottles tomorrow and see what turns up!

This is the superb job from @Kingfisher

Screenshot_20201230-215947~2.png

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Nwc100 said:

I'm wondering what translucent yellow/orange or red then  translucent silver backed with the copper then white might be like, I'm not sure if the copper will be wasted and just turn it brown!

I used PS-14 Copper on my re-re Fox.

Its not bad, but definitely leans more towards the brown than a more natural copper look - if that makes sense. I think possibly as you said layering it behind a translucent yellow or maybe in a light/translucent orange might be interesting - heck maybe even super light coat of gold or champagne first, just to take the edge (brown) off the copper backing. I think red might turn it super dark however.

Ill try and get a shot up of the Fox today, it wasn't my best paint job, but like you I'm not a fan of box art, and i felt a fox should be like its name suggests, orange/brown haha.

Just a quick couple i had handy, after her last run a month or so ago while away on holiday.

Fresh, deeply cut mowed grass and dew/drizzle.

Will try for a shot in the sun today to give a better idea.

This is straight PS-14 Copper backed with bright silver.

fox.jpg

fox2.jpg

fox3.jpg

fox4.jpg

Edited by Ryz82
Sun daylight shots
  • Like 1

I think I've found something I'm happy with, only using the colours we have already as I cannot go and buy more cans until some of these are used, did 4 testers but there is a possibility some aren't the correct codes as the 5yr old wanted to "help" as usual.

I hope the colour choice will be PS43 three layers, PS36 one layer, PS19 full layer and then backed with PS1 it is I hope trans orange, trans silver, camel yellow and then white.

The testers are really rough, sprayed outside in the cold but needed something to do for an hour or so! I'm certain there is an easier way to get this colour but I quite like the way it's turned out, I just hope it's not too mixed up and involved copper!

Note to self, don't let a 5yr old "help"

DSC_3245.thumb.JPG.60a28dfa2a0a961146d435ba682cb2d1.JPG

DSC_3244.JPG

DSC_3243.JPG

• Like 1

Mean green Porsche is done for today, spoilers now black, Michelin's added and gold wheel nuts.

Pretty happy with this one considering it's only the second one.

Next one will definitely pay more attention to sanding the arches and being more careful not to score the actual body.

_20210101_153011.JPG

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Nwc100 said:

I think I've found something I'm happy with, only using the colours we have already as I cannot go and buy more cans until some of these are used, did 4 testers but there is a possibility some aren't the correct codes as the 5yr old wanted to "help" as usual.

I hope the colour choice will be PS43 three layers, PS36 one layer, PS19 full layer and then backed with PS1 it is I hope trans orange, trans silver, camel yellow and then white.

The testers are really rough, sprayed outside in the cold but needed something to do for an hour or so! I'm certain there is an easier way to get this colour but I quite like the way it's turned out, I just hope it's not too mixed up and involved copper!

Note to self, don't let a 5yr old "help"

DSC_3245.thumb.JPG.60a28dfa2a0a961146d435ba682cb2d1.JPG

Totally understand needing to use what you got first.

Test looks good, and yes fingers crossed those helping hands didn't switch cans on you mid test hehe.

13 hours ago, Nwc100 said:

Mean green Porsche is done for today, spoilers now black, Michelin's added and gold wheel nuts.

Pretty happy with this one considering it's only the second one.

Next one will definitely pay more attention to sanding the arches and being more careful not to score the actual body.

_20210101_153011.JPG

WOW. Putting my original recommendation and Frog to shame!

That really, looks awesome.

Body trimming is always a bit of pain. The arches don't look too bad, though a bit of sanding never hurts. I'm not sure what you approach to cutting is - blade, score and snap, or scissors etc - but for wheel arches I've found some success using a compass (circular) cutter. Dirt cheap, and for circular or close to circular arches they produce near perfect cuts.

Not sure what the arches are on the GTR, but may be something to look into. As the name suggests, essentially just a compass like you would use for drafting/drawing, only they have a blade instead of pencil. This is the particular one i have.

https://www.amazon.com/OLFA-1057028-Rotary-Circle-Cutter/dp/B001CEAMCY

(they were cheap over here in AUS where i got mine, Amazon was just the first link that came up for me when i searched for one to post)

Really looking forward to seeing the final GTR now too

@Ryz82 I would never have achieved anything like this without the great advice you shared! Thanks again!

Great idea on the compass, I'd thought about it and then dismissed it in the ludicrous thoughts section, I'll pick up one today.

We need to get a better knife as well, currently using a disposable type with a blade that doesn't quite lock in place, going to go for the original scalpel style and blade I think.

First body I tried to cut all the way through with the blade 🤦🤦🤦 Porsche was score and snap and a that's been a revelation! Since the original Yaris I've watched quite a few hours of YouTube on body prepping etc. 

The body was always the part I didn't want to do but I actually really enjoyed doing this one.

I've ordered a few scale items as well I may mock up on the GTR and have a trial with them.

I'm very conscious less is often more and I know I have a habit of keep adding things to the pot, I've been looking for some sheets of 54646 for maybe the roof! It's quite cheap but need to make up an order to get rid of the p&p

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, c64orinoco said:

To do curved score lines on polycarbonate I use a swivel-head blade, like one of these: 

https://www.hobbyco.com.au/16004-k4-swivel-knife-with-safety-cap

I find this works very well, as long as you do multiple light passes rather than try to do one single cut.

Are they loose to swivel or can you tension as needed ?

TBH i shake too much when using blades, straight and general body lines I'm fine, but arches i always tend to have that one slip. So for ages I simply used curved scissors and then cleaned as best i could with some sanding or little scrapes of blade, until i discovered the compass cutter.

@Nwc100 The compass cutter or the swivel blade @c64orinoco mentioned should help with the arches. The compass cutter really is ideal if the arches are truly circular or very very close too, but you will have to score multiple times and slowly - and make sure you have good pressure and penetration on the needle/pivot of the compass, too light and you will find it can slip easily, and you're scoring a circle where you don't want it - thankfully i tried on a spare body i had already ruined with lopsided body mount holes, so i got away with it (made a badword of a sunroof in that spare body though, if i do say so myself). So maybe a tool for future use if you cant test easily and don't wanna risk new GTR body.

• Like 1

Body arrived yesterday! We have some 3d mesh on its way for the grilles so they all need masking off and a set of lights and possibly an intercooler and some exhausts 🤦

Colour scheme is decided almost and just trying to decide whether or not to mask the sills and spray black or stick with the decals which are precut and the first ones I have seen.

1st choice colour scheme is below, but a little of me is tempted to put a coat of the either of the two wild cards on to mix it up a bit!

DSC_3271.JPG

DSC_3273.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nwc100 said:

We have some 3d mesh on its way for the grilles so they all need masking off and a set of lights and possibly an intercooler and some exhausts 🤦

Haha. I like it! 

The GTR grille looks pretty big, and well shaped so should be an easy mask. As I'm sure the YT videos you've been watching have probably mentioned, using a Sharpie on the outside of the shell to trace the section you want to mask, is the way to go. Gives you a solid guide line for where to tape and then trim with a blade on the inside of the shell. Marker then wipes off with some isopropyl when done - or if you make a mistake. And it peels away with the protective cover in the end of the paint job anyways.

Though if you're planning on replacing the entire grille with mesh, you could possibly cut out the grille section entirely. 

12 minutes ago, Nwc100 said:

Colour scheme is decided almost and just trying to decide whether or not to mask the sills and spray black or stick with the decals which are precut and the first ones I have seen.

Personally I'm not a fan of window decals. Mostly because they always seem to be multi-piece decals, instead of a single fully inclosed shape. So whenever possible or appropriate I always try to paint. In most instances, on a well moulded body, this is usually pretty straight forward as the trims and seals are usually moulded directly into the shell, so you can identify and mask off completely and paint as required. I also tend to paint skirts and and splitters too, something about decals other than sponsors and numbers seems wrong and too box arty.

Sadly, in other cheaper shells (like my most recent XV-01 Civic) they don't exist, and you have to use an alternate and possibly unorthodox approach - I still think with some fine tuning I could perfect it; but don't recommend it at this stage, haha.

18 minutes ago, Nwc100 said:

1st choice colour scheme is below, but a little of me is tempted to put a coat of the either of the two wild cards on to mix it up a bit!

@OCD has a thread where he did a Beetle in PS-40 perhaps have a look at that before diving in. I think potentially it could work well as an accent against the orange somewhere; you may have to provide a bit more separation between the two, so perhaps a thin white, silver or black line a bit like the gold used to separate the white and purple used on the example livery I posted earlier in the thread. Im not sure I would go iridescent though, unless you do the entire shell and forget your orange concept all together.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 10:42 PM, Nwc100 said:

DSC_3273.JPG

I have expereience with the PS40 translucent Pink - be very carefull to do very light coats, and let the coats dry. I was trying to do pink with bright silver backing, but I got too heavy with the coat and ended up with a deeper burgundy colour. Still looked ok paired with dark metallic blue, it just wasn't the bright pink I was aiming for.

I've had more luck with the iridescent colours - the trick was LOTS of coats, then the black. I think I did five, maybe six coats (all as light as I could get them) before I put the black on. The result (I was doing the purple-green) looks fantastic, it really comes alive in bright sunlight.

• Like 1

Finally making some progress on the GTR, lights are fitted into the buckets and tested, should have gone for a set of 10 rather than 12 so made some amends to the buckets to fit, not sure on the cop car rear lights still but the blue ones go out whilst running forward and I wanted maximum forward lighting so it is what it is!

Body is cut but not sanded and test fitted into the TT02, all looks ok so far and used the new reamer as well, takes a bit of time but got much better results than drilling .

Definitely going to invest in some form of circular cutter for the wheel arches as that's definitely an area to improve on.

I've also got some carbon decal for the spoiler and mirrors, going to give it a little test run later just in some water and see how I get on with it, still waiting on the decal fix and softener for that, I think a GTR deserves a bit of carbon, hopefully the 3d mesh sticker will be here next week along with the intercooler ready for test, I'll try and wash and mask today and hit the spraying tomorrow.

DSC_3315.JPG

DSC_3316.JPG

DSC_3317.JPG

• Like 1

What LED system did you go with ? I'm contemplating the "3 Racing" system for an upcoming body/design, but not sure if i just go hard wired approach for the one or 2 lights i want to use instead ...

With the blue and orange lights, i definitely think that solves your dilemma in terms of paint, surely has to be the orange paint scheme now; just wouldn't look right with an odd pink/burgundy look surely :P

It's this authentic hop up, I was going to go with the killerbody 10 light setup but this was the same price for 12, less is always, always more!!

It took all of 30 seconds to plug it all up, would be better if I had a 3 Ch TX as then I could've switched the odd set of lights!

Definitely sticking with the original ish colour, even though I wrote down the amount of coats and notes on the tests Ive found it very hard to match them sometimes, hopefully I'll get it masked today and maybe lay the first few layers down 😄😄

Screenshot_20210110-074833~2.png