AndyjcClod

New Tamiya Hornet which Tamiya Motor?

Hi Everyone

I am building a Tamiya Hornet (the new release one) and was wondering for a Hornet which Tamiya motor is best for this buggy?

A Tamiya Torque tuned or a Tamiya Sport tuned?

Or should I just get a brushless combo and if thats the case any recomendations?

Probably not the norm but I’m trying out a smaller brushless motor conversion on a couple of cars using a 2845 sized motor.  Using a pinion off a Blackfoot or monster beetle, attach the motor using the grasshopper 380 motor mount.  Then choose a 5000kv version of the 2845 brushless motor.  That gives a possible 36k rpm using a 7.2v battery.  It will give uber acceleration and faster top speed compared to a regular 540 brushed motor. In theory run times will be longer also per charge.  I’m waiting for parts to do the same on a lunchbox using a 3930kv version and finish off a frog chassis with a 5000kv motor

I went for the 3s on the frog chassis as the extra motor rpm makes up for the small 10 tooth pinion being used as if fitted with a brushed 380 motor.  The motor control is a 60amp version sensorless type hobbywing esc

621D01B1-972E-4E79-A69E-5F335842139D.jpeg

The 540 silver can is fast enough for the hornet chassis,any faster motor would be too much.Dont even consider brushless.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Super ally said:

The 540 silver can is fast enough for the hornet chassis,any faster motor would be too much.Dont even consider brushless.

A brushed 27t stock motor is a nice balance, almost too much but just enough :D

Sport tuned is a good compromise, I've done brushless years ago, the thin steering rods kept bending on impacts, that alone gets tiring!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, taffer said:

Sport tuned is a good compromise, I've done brushless years ago, the thin steering rods kept bending on impacts, that alone gets tiring!

I have no direct experience with them, but I've read that the Sport Tuned motors are built with softer brushes, which are not replaceable. Have you had any issues with their reliability? Other than Mabuchi 540s, I've always run stock or mod motors with replaceable brushes, so I'm curious how the Sport Tuned compares.

Sport tuned will last year's and years of running, like a standard 540 (well the black one will, I  sure the silver sport tuned will be the same!)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Super ally said:

Not necessarily.  A 2800kv motor would give a possible 20k rpm, if a 10 tooth pinion is used that possible top speed would be a tad slower top end compared to a sport tuned motor with a standard hornet pinion with both using a 7.2v battery.  If say you got bored of that performance the brushless motor has more variations to still upgrade with.  No worn brushes or commutator to worry about either. Like I said earlier not the norm using a 2845 motor but it’s something to consider.  Good ole eBay has versions up to 5900kv which gives an unloaded rpm of 42k rpm compared to a sport tuned 18k rpm using a 7.2v battery.  Standard hornet pinion is 18 tooth compared to my suggestion using a 10 tooth pinion. That 5900kv motor would be roughly the equivalent of a 36k rpm sport tuned motor so twice as quick for £15.  I would imagine it would be a handful to operate in a straight line lol so maybe fit a 3800kv version first.  That would be equivalent to a 22k rpm 540 motor fitted with a 18 tooth pinion.  
Like I said just a different idea 🙂

2 hours ago, Toolmaker72 said:

Not necessarily.  A 2800kv motor would give a possible 20k rpm, if a 10 tooth pinion is used that possible top speed would be a tad slower top end compared to a sport tuned motor with a standard hornet pinion with both using a 7.2v battery.  If say you got bored of that performance the brushless motor has more variations to still upgrade with.  No worn brushes or commutator to worry about either. Like I said earlier not the norm using a 2845 motor but it’s something to consider.  Good ole eBay has versions up to 5900kv which gives an unloaded rpm of 42k rpm compared to a sport tuned 18k rpm using a 7.2v battery.  Standard hornet pinion is 18 tooth compared to my suggestion using a 10 tooth pinion. That 5900kv motor would be roughly the equivalent of a 36k rpm sport tuned motor so twice as quick for £15.  I would imagine it would be a handful to operate in a straight line lol so maybe fit a 3800kv version first.  That would be equivalent to a 22k rpm 540 motor fitted with a 18 tooth pinion.  
Like I said just a different idea 🙂

Fair enough,its just what i would use.

Pictures below of a 27 turn stock motor and you might just make out on the print out it’s rpm, torque and amp draw.  I’ve got one of these in a grasshopper 2 and it goes well but gets really hot.  The bit that niggles me is in reverse due to advanced timing the 27 turn epic goes really slow but gets really really hot.  

3B31BE5B-84D1-49FF-9A09-87B760068C72.jpeg

E537C79B-1A58-4B5E-8127-78C5D47BE010.jpeg

B2868046-D7B5-44F6-9636-33DFFCF029D4.jpeg

• Like 1