LukeP

*** New Tamiya TGS Nitro Build ***

Hi Everyone, 

I am new to the forum and have just brought a vintage Tamiya TGS Nitro from eBay. I'm a novice but my dad has always played around with Nitro Cars since I was a kid so I'm hoping he will lend a helping hand. 

The car was brought as a non-runner (apparently it did start in November), I'm keen to do a tear down and restore the engine (If I can still get hold of the parts!)

Could anyone recommend where I can purchase a new piston, liner & back plate gasket? I'm sure these are like hens teeth these days. I have found some for sale on eBay from international sellers but I'm not sure on compatibility, the engine is an FS-12 SS if I'm not mistaken. However, the piston & liner parts I have found via eBay list other variants such as;

• FS-12 SW
  • FS-12 D
  • FS-12 FD
  • FS-12 SW
  • FS-15 LT

Would any of these be compatible? 

It's not arrived yet but I've posted a few pictures from the auction, any advice or useful links etc would be much appreciated! 

Cheers, 

Luke

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 2

I Recently rebuilt a Nitro Tamiya TNS chassis that was fitted with a SMT 15 engine but it would have originally had a FS12 engine. I would have thought you could fit any engine in it as long as it had the right mounting brackets and dimensions to fit the chassis. I rebuilt the engine on mine and the piston was fine so was the liner. the things I would look out for on the engine is weather there is a step in the liner the piston has significant scratching or wear. and to see if the con rod is bent which would restrict the piston stroke from memory the piston should reach the top of the liner more or less.

Hi,

Engine in yours is the FS-12SS. Piston and cylinder part number is 7684129 and that and the FS-12SW (extensively the same engine) is the only piston and liner that will fit from Tamiya. The piston from the O.S CV-12RX will also fit as its the same engine with a few tweaks. O.S made the engine for Tamiya. The O.S part number is 21253010.

Backplate gasket is 7684139 and is common across quite a few engines. 7684011 will also fit. Also, the backplate gasket from the O.S works and that is 21214000.

Looking forward to update I have done quite a few of these so shout if you need help.

24 minutes ago, acprc said:

Hi,

Engine in yours is the FS-12SS. Piston and cylinder part number is 7684129 and that and the FS-12SW (extensively the same engine) is the only piston and liner that will fit from Tamiya. The piston from the O.S CV-12RX will also fit as its the same engine with a few tweaks. O.S made the engine for Tamiya. The O.S part number is 21253010.

Backplate gasket is 7684139 and is common across quite a few engines. 7684011 will also fit. Also, the backplate gasket from the O.S works and that is 21214000.

Looking forward to update I have done quite a few of these so shout if you need help.

Thanks you so much - this is a great help. Could you point me in the right direction for part numbers for the TGS? I have looked for ages online trying to find an extensive list, the TGS pdf manual only contains the name of the part name and no numbers. 

One more question you guys might be able to help me with... I'm looking forward to replacing the very 'Max Max' looking shell! From what I gather the TGS chassis takes a 190mm shell - are there compatibility issues across the Tamiya 1/10 range or is it pretty much cut to fit? I like the look of this: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-body-for-58407-tt-01e-/rc-car-products/391130  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LukeP said:

Thanks you so much - this is a great help. Could you point me in the right direction for part numbers for the TGS? I have looked for ages online trying to find an extensive list, the TGS pdf manual only contains the name of the part name and no numbers. 

One more question you guys might be able to help me with... I'm looking forward to replacing the very 'Max Max' looking shell! From what I gather the TGS chassis takes a 190mm shell - are there compatibility issues across the Tamiya 1/10 range or is it pretty much cut to fit? I like the look of this: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-body-for-58407-tt-01e-/rc-car-products/391130  

I have uploaded the parts list for the Ford Focus kit number 43512. Use that with the Tamiya manual. Most of the bodies from the TT-01 car range will fit with no issue. The wider bodies might need the rear wheels extending. 

43512 Parts List.pdf