Mike Hotshot Harding

Super stock RZ esc?

Me again... after fitting the above motor to my otherwise almost standard 2007 hotshot (bearing kit) it now goes pretty well but occasionally it stops driving, the steering still works, I power off and on and it runs again, I think the esc is tripping out on heat overload, the tamiya replacement looks ok but is there a better one to run with this setup? Like the brake function the kit esc gives, any ideas?

The Hobbywing 1060 is the standard, it runs those fine and has lipo cutoff. Pretty reasonably priced too. There are heaps of generic brushed ESC which will run them too, I have a mix as the HW add up when you need 6.

• Like 2

1060 or a Traxxas XL-5. The 1060 is generally cheaper, smaller, and can run up to 3s lipo, but I prefer the feel of the XL-5 and it tends to run a little cooler as well. 

15 hours ago, Mike Hotshot Harding said:

Sounds like a good solution, sorry but what do mean when you say ‘the HW add up when you need 6’?

can you recommend the next upgrade?

I think he means that if you have 6 cars that all need ESCs then it's cheaper to buy a cheaper brand than go with the favourite 1060.  There's a bunch of cheaper generic ESCs out there (beware copy/imitation Hobbywing 1060s that are neither Hobbywing nor 1060, only buy from genuine Hobbywing retailers - if you're in the UK then Modelsport, Wheelspin, any other high street hobby store should be OK, avoid the Ebay / China specials - there's been a lot of imitations in recent months which break very quickly)