DeadMeat666

Fire Dragon contemplations

In short, I unfortunately missed the boat when the Terra Scorcher re-re came and quickly left.

Is it worthwhile getting a Fire Dragon instead when it shows up in stores? I'd really like a buggy from that family to add to my collection. Aside from the bodies, in what ways is the Fire Dragon different from the Terra Scorcher?

If you've never had a car from the Thunder Shot family, I say go for it.  The Fire Dragon is as close as you'll get to a Terra Scorcher in terms of extra components - four dampers instead of three when compared to the Thunder Shot/Dragon.  But if you want a more 'complete' buggy out of the box, I say try to find a Terra Scorcher.  I'm surprised the Terra Scorcher has become unavailable so quickly.

If the Fire Dragon is rereleased as an exact copy of the original it won't have any bearings, so that will need to be addressed.  The Terra Scorcher is fully ballraced out of the box.  That was/is a big thing for Tamiya to do back in the eighties, and even today.  The Terra Scorcher has front and rear sway bars, whereas the Fire Dragon only has one fitted up front.

The other big difference between the Terra Scorcher and the other cars on the chassis is the inclusion of adjustable upper arms on all four corners.  To accommodate these, the front and rear hubs (C1 and C3) were also different on the original models, but maybe the same on the rereleases.

The Terra Scorcher also has universal joint drive shafts, front and rear on the rerelease.  The Fire Dragon had standard dog bone shafts all round, and probably will on the rerelease.

Other differences are the obvious cosmetics - body shell and wheel colour.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately the Terra Scorcher rere isnt fully ball raced, still missing three 1150 bearings (2 of these should be thrust ball bearings but normal ball bearings are fine)

Rear sway bar doesnt add anything to everyday driving, I prefer without.

The original thundershot and thunder Dragon had different c hubs, the rere thundershot, fire dragon and terra scorcher has the later, stronger type, makes no difference really

The rerere Fire Dragon is a great model, the 2008 rere had minimal changes from the original (lower link pins were replaced by screw pins), the rerere Fire Dragon specification hints at having the new motor mount like the rere Terra Scorcher which is a shame but the original metal version is still available...

• Thanks 1

If you really want the Terra Scorcher quite a few shops in New Zealand still have it in stock. No idea if they will ship to Saudi Arabia but it can't hurt to ask.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

If you really want the Terra Scorcher quite a few shops in New Zealand still have it in stock. No idea if they will ship to Saudi Arabia but it can't hurt to ask.

Thanks Jon! Any contacts you could PM me so I could ask? 

I think the Thundershot and the Terra Scorcher are the best looking bodies. If I were you I'd get the dragon and then of the former bodies 

I absolutely LOVE the Fire Dragon,  and I can’t really explain why - there is just something about it I’ve always loved - it looks so cool! :) I was really pleased when I saw it was getting a 2021 re-release. 

Thanks everyone for the responses and tips. To be honest I'll be putting this idea of getting a Terra Scorcher/ Fire Dragon on the back burner for a while.

That Schumacher thread that @Finnsllc started was a real eye-opener. I need to reconsider my options when it comes to buying a buggy I intend to actually run.

• Thanks 1