VileQuenouille

TA02SW Porsche 934 Tamico Edition #054

Since I joined this forum recently I've been reading a lot about the different 934 releases, and I can't seem to find a simple straight forward build of one of the Tamico edition kits. People seem to either worship it as a serious collector item and keep it NIB, or use them for spare parts. Me I just want to crack it open and play with it.

I found it from a local seller, I paid more than retail of course, but not nearly as much as what even some 40th sell for nowadays.

spacer.png

First of all yes, I always start my builds with the body. I use scissors to do a rough cut, then score and snap for most of it, and a bit of both for the wheel arches.

spacer.png

The masks were a bit more tricky than I anticipated, I thought the window trim stickers would give me some margin for error, but not really, later down the line I realized I was very close to a failed paint job due to that.

spacer.png

Stickers are obviously a real piece of work on this car, not gonna lie I spent about 5 days on them, mostly because I only chose the times when I could really focus, as soon I as I felt a bit tired or if something else came up I would stop and pick up where I left the next day. In terms of technique I don't use soap water and I apply heat with a hair dryer whenever there's some curves to follow. With this car most stickers connect with others so I like to do a mockup with some masking tape first. At the end I wouldn't say it was difficult per se because Tamiya stickers are very well made, but it's definitely time consuming.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm not gonna post too much about the chassis build, it's certainly not the first TA02SW you've seen. The only mods so far are brass bushing instead of the shims on the rear camber arms to reduce the play in the rear suspension, I just had to adjust the tension on the screws to make sure the arms move freely, it works okay but I ordered ball connectors and turnbuckles to replace them. And I installed a sport tuned motor, which is fast enough for this car, I plan on driving it but not very hard, this kind of car I just enjoy looking at it zipping around on a parking lot. It runs on 2S with the TBLE-02s, but I know my runtimes pretty well and I always carry a lipo checker with me.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have more pictures or the finished car and some close ups coming next.

• Like 11

Being a Hobby Shop release, are the stickers actual Tamiya items? I’m curious about this edition

4 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

Being a Hobby Shop release, are the stickers actual Tamiya items? I’m curious about this edition

Yes, it's not as special as it looks actually, it's a 47362 Black edition with a 30th anniversary body set, that's it, so the stickers are also from the 30th kit. They didn't make a new box for it either, it's literally the Black edition box with a printed cover on it, held with a plastic wrap. The cover makes for a nice poster though so there's that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VileQuenouille said:

Yes, it's not as special as it looks actually, it's a 47362 Black edition with a 30th anniversary body set, that's it, so the stickers are also from the 30th kit. They didn't make a new box for it either, it's literally the Black edition box with a printed cover on it, held with a plastic wrap. The cover makes for a nice poster though so there's that.

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up

I did mine in the summer 

I just bought the Tamico body kit (shell, spoiler, decals, chrome) and put it on a TA02SW chassis I bought. 

cost me £170 for the kit and £50 for the Tamico kit - the box would be the icing on the cake 

JJ

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

I did mine in the summer 

I just bought the Tamico body kit (shell, spoiler, decals, chrome) and put it on a TA02SW chassis I bought. 

cost me £170 for the kit and £50 for the Tamico kit - the box would be the icing on the cake 

JJ

That's a really cool video, yeah the body sets are still available from Tamico, I think it's a good time to get a spare or two, I'm gonna get one soon so I can have a shelf body and a runner.

Here are more pics of the finished car, with some close ups so there's no hiding any mistakes :D

For the lighting I didn't use the Tamiya kit, it's too bulky imo, and I might add a cockpit insert in the future, so instead I used a cheap set of leds from Absima that plugs directly into the receiver.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And here's the car on its shelf with the box insert on the wall, as you can see the headlights are yellow, I used a bit or clear orange on the front leds, I find the blueish-white leds a bit weird on a 45 year old model.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 15

That turned out great.  Those bodies require more work than most.  I’m surprised you built that kit. Most will probably be kept NIB.  I agree with you that it’s just a rebadged black kit but with only 333 kits released, it will become a sought after kit. 

3 hours ago, Shodog said:

I’m surprised you built that kit. Most will probably be kept NIB.

Yeah I'm not what you would call a collector, there's no way I could have brand new toys in boxes and not play with them :P. I know there are some real gems out there, if I somehow get my hands on an original 4x4 Toyota pickup NIB I would certainly not build it, but this Tamico Edition was just the right amount of special without being too hard to find either. I mean how sad would it be to have all 333 of them untouched and used as a collector item only?

• Like 2

The 934 body is probably my favorite one from Tamiya so when they released the 40th anniversary and black Porsche I went nuts and bought a few kits and bodies. I was lucky enough to get #14 of 333 of the Tamico release and I plan on keeping it NIB.

568AF2EB-D2BF-4C49-A30F-50CB3D38961A_zps

I see you have a Lancia 037 project. Would be cool to have a 037 body on top of an 40th anniversary chassis. 

• Like 5

On 1/3/2021 at 12:20 AM, Shodog said:

I see you have a Lancia 037 project. Would be cool to have a 037 body on top of an 40th anniversary chassis. 

That's an idea, too bad the Lancia 037 body sets are so hard to find.

Small update, I added some details to the wheels with a Molotow chrome pen and some diluted black paint. I was looking at some pictures of BBS basketweave wheels and I noticed the part with all the screws is usually chromed as well.

zqAdHNm.jpg

IEmbyRR.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, VileQuenouille said:

I was looking at some pictures of BBS basketweave wheels and I noticed the part with all the screws is usually chromed as well.

zqAdHNm.jpg

You’ve got it done correctly. Most, including myself, have them painted incorrectly. 

Molotow chrome pen makes magic! 

excellent build and the best body shell from Tamiya 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 9:08 PM, VileQuenouille said:

I was looking at some pictures of BBS basketweave wheels and I noticed the part with all the screws is usually chromed as well.

As someone who's seen BBS basketweave wheels in person, in 3 pieces, I can tell you the part with all the screws is supposed to be the same part as the outside rim; those screws are supposed to be what hold the rim to the basketweave section in real life. So yes, it makes a lot of sense to do what you did and colormatch that portion with the chrome of the rim.

Great job btw!

• Like 2

Well now I’m not so sure. The rim is supposed to be the BBS LM. You can buy them two different ways

001(6).JPG

001(5).JPG

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shodog said:

Well now I’m not so sure. The rim is supposed to be the BBS LM. You can buy them two different ways

001(6).JPG

001(5).JPG

Same rim, deep offset vs shallow offset. The rims on the Porsche are definitely the deeper kind.

• Like 1

Isn't the difference in the above pictures that the centre section is sandwiched between the inner and outer rims on the top image (meaning the lip around the perimeter of the centre is part of the outer rim), and on the bottom image the centre section is on the outside (meaning the lip is now behind the centre section, so the area with the bolts is the same colour as the centre section)? This has the effect of enabling a different offset using the same rim parts. 

Deciding how to paint the tamiya rims depends on how the real car had the bbs LM 3-piece wheels made up - with the centre section sandwiched or on the outside. This is, of course, moot, because the 934 used the bbs e50 wheels, and the LMs look too big and new for this old racer (although they look better than the godawful effort that came with the 30th anniversary version)!

• Like 1

In a proper way (read as OEM), the center section is sandwiched between the lip and the internal part of the wheel. So the topic starter made it right and the wheels looks very real and awesome! 

47 minutes ago, fwdjump said:

So the topic starter made it right and the wheels looks very real and awesome! 

Thank you guys for doing more research on this, I'm glad I did it right :) 

14 hours ago, rich_f said:

they look better than the godawful effort that came with the 30th anniversary version

So true, the 30th edition is a much better kit overall, but the wheels are just wrong, the black edition wheels are not perfect, but the 30th wheels are way worse. I wish there was a proper set of wheels somewhere for the 1/10th 934, with the big meaty tires at the rear.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VileQuenouille said:

I wish there was a proper set of wheels somewhere for the 1/10th 934, with the big meaty tires at the rear.

Like these?

16102258079004109774139710733752.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rich_f said:

Like these?

16102258079004109774139710733752.jpg

That looks about right, they don't replicate the 3 pieces aspect of them but the overall size seems okay. What are they?

9 hours ago, VileQuenouille said:

That looks about right, they don't replicate the 3 pieces aspect of them but the overall size seems okay

If you look at the real e50 wheels (see image below), you can't really see the '3-piece aspect' anyway - the lip/bolts are somewhat hidden compared to the LM wheels. 

spacer.png

Once I've painted the centres on mine gold they should look pretty much the same. 

The wheels are some that I found on ebay about the same time I bought the 40th anniversary 934, when I realised it came with the wrong wheels. Not sure of brand.

Tyres are HPI vintage, which have a taller sidewall on the outside which fits over a lip on the wheel rim. 

The only thing wrong is that they are all the same offset, front and rear, and all the same width. I've squeezed on wide tyres in my photo and I think this will look ok for the shelf. For the fronts I was considering modifying the centres to reduce the offset somehow. Not got around to it yet. 

Everybody bad mouths the 30th anniversary wheels. While they may not look as cool, the centers don’t shatter into pieces like 40th anniversary wheels do.

CA77FC5D-AE63-4970-B549-10211B4AE659_zps

00EBB74D-133D-45BC-8973-A475BEB7A078_zps

• Like 3

On 1/7/2021 at 8:40 PM, Shodog said:

001(6).JPG

001(5).JPG

The rims are suppose to replicate a version of the BBS E88 Motorsports.