toyolien

RCMart (& Others) now charging 20% VAT to UK

3 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

The invoice was for VAT.

Still waiting to find out what happens.

Oh dear. Probably because I don’t think RCMart haven’t updated the forms attached to the package to reference VAT so there’s nothing to show the courier that VAT was paid. Perhaps I have just been lucky mine weren’t stopped by RM?

1 minute ago, Badcrumble said:

Oh dear. Probably because I don’t think RCMart haven’t updated the forms attached to the package to reference VAT so there’s nothing to show the courier that VAT was paid. Perhaps I have just been lucky mine weren’t stopped by RM?

Even if VAT is paid... you still need to pay VAT in your country? If the amount is higher then the allowance to import?

20 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Even if VAT is paid... you still need to pay VAT in your country? If the amount is higher then the allowance to import?

I think the problem could be that RCMart add VAT to the invoice so it is paid by the consumer at point of purchase. However, if they don’t tell the courier it has been paid, the courier charges the consumer again prior to delivery.

The ‘allowance to import’ is the import duty threshold of £135, VAT is charged regardless.

My purchases have been under the £135 import duty calculation threshold and handled by the postal service so I have effectively been doing the ‘customs roulette’ we used to do for purchases over £30 but now, if RM demand payment of VAT I can challenge the result as I have an invoice showing that I have already paid it.

As I understand it, Items over £135 will be reviewed for VAT and Import Duty so the consumer will be charged an admin/ handling fee then VAT then Duty if applicable (our toys often have a Duty rate of 0%, not sure about tools).So frustrating to be charged and admin fee and VAT on VAT you have already paid.

Had my first delivery from Euro RC today, ordered about 10 days ago and arrived today.

Paid for delivery via GLS and came in a box with just the address and no invoice and unmarked, I was expecting to get a demand from Royal Mail for the VAT and a phony set of charges, but Postie handed it over and went on his way, not sure if I'll get the charge through the post later but if not I'm pretty happy with my delivery.

Ordered a TA06 kit, set of wheels to make up the minimum order and the delivery charge and paid £140 for it according to my statement.

Still expecting to get the charge but no idea where it will come from as there was no invoice with it.

My dirt thrasher from France got stuck in customs.

id paid VAT at eBay check out

It seems the seller had some paperwork to fill out that was a customs invoice 

my wiltoys from China I paid vat on through AliExpress but nothing on the box to say I’d paid but it did say it was only worth £30 instead of £100

ive also ordered a load of parts from AliExpress - all of which I had to pay vat on at point of sale so I will see how they are treated 

JJ

From my expirience in imports.

depends on the countries declared value that is not due to customs.

but usually you have to pay vat twice.

at the point of sale and in your country.

if you pay vat twice, you should be able to claim it back from the point of sale. 

I just bought a baseball bat from a UK supplier and it arrived next day but when I paid PayPal it added VAT

cant get a response from the company 

JJ

• Sad 1

Norway is not in EU either but new to us is that Ebay, AliExpress, Banggood add Vat no matter how low the price is, nothing get stopped for extra Taxes anymore though.

But when i shopped with Wheelspin Models they removed 20% Vat and i did not pay Vat when it arrived. Second time with Wheelspin i could see when using PayPal that Vat was suddenly included again, so i paid directly with Mastercard where it was not included, did not pay Vat when it arrived this time either, so i think it was slmething with PayPal @Problemchild

4 hours ago, simalarion said:

Norway is not in EU either but new to us is that Ebay, AliExpress, Banggood add Vat no matter how low the price is, nothing get stopped for extra Taxes anymore though.

But when i shopped with Wheelspin Models they removed 20% Vat and i did not pay Vat when it arrived. Second time with Wheelspin i could see when using PayPal that Vat was suddenly included again, so i paid directly with Mastercard where it was not included, did not pay Vat when it arrived this time either, so i think it was slmething with PayPal @Problemchild

Exactly that - it’s a PayPal setting seemingly 

stupid paypal

JJ

Just a couple of things. 

Firstly, rcmart shipping price to UK appears to have calmed down significantly.

Secondly, I don't think a single item I've received from China this year has had any kind of code on to denote that the seller has collected 20% UK VAT either direct from sellers or via aliexpress or ebay where the vendor collects the vat. Seems like a bit of a loophole to me. Shame the sites like Ali and Ebay collect it for the seller, I feel like if that wasn't the case, the packages would make it here fine anyway regardless of whether the vat was taken or not.

Finding "free trade" with EU to be a bit of a farce, doesn't seem like the originating countries VAT is taken off before UK VAT is added on when using ebay. 

We are supposed to have free trade with JAPAN now too but hard to say if its working out or not. I've only ordered 2 things and the sellers marked both as gift.