slimleeroy

Slipper pinion

Hi guys. Has anyone tried one of the Carson slipper pinions to see if it fits any of the tamiya cars?  It's part number CA14993 and is available in most good UK online stores.  Don't know what pitch it is or number of teeth but looks pretty innovative.

A couple guys have used them on the Top Force with success.  I imagine it is metric 48P.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whahooo said:

Could that save the King Cab Transmission??

It´s not a Carson item, but from Carisma. It´s Module 0,6 metric and 20 tooth, so some would call it 48dp metric, but that´s something not compatible with 48dp gears.

It´s used on Tamiyaclub in Top forces, yes. I have it in my Vanquish with a mild 13,5t Brushless and it´s perfect for cutting overtorque events during landings after jumps and the higher torque level of the brushless system. Of course, you cannot let it slip as much as a real slipper clutch (less mass to absorb heat, less friction area/cooling area, but for 4WD I find it perfect. (as for a 4WD buggy you anyway don´t want to slip it as much as on a 2WD buggy to get it track straight.)

So far I had no problems with it.

As it is longer than a usual pinion, you need to check the space you have in your gearbox, or make a cutout / hole to let it stand out.

On the Avante gearbox you have that space. Also on longer motor shafts as on modern brushless motors, it can be necessary to shorten the sgaft slightly. (did it on my Speed Passion Sports motor in my Vanquish. Because the Carisma pinion is not designed to let the motor shaft end let go completely through it.

For the money, it´s a clever idea and I would buy it again! This could be a big seller, if it would be available with more tooth counts or different modules...

Hope this info helps you somehow!

Kind regards,

Matthias

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

It´s Module 0,6 metric and 20 tooth,

Been searching for that nugget of info for a while, Cheers!! 👍

I've got one for a DT03 build, but like you say, it's probably going to fry real quick. I've a 32dp 20t pinion to machine, a spacer to make and see what happens! 

• Like 1