Mrowka

How do you guys still holes in Lexan bodies?

About to finish a Kyosho Ultima and there are seven holes to be drilled in the body for the cage to mount to.

How do you drill clean holes? I have a reamer, but testing it on scrap Lexan gives awful results. I've had my best luck using a fresh sharp Xacto knife as a reamer, but even that isn't quite perfect. I have tried using a cone-shaped grinder on a Dremel and the results are clean but hard to control.

Also, do you drill before or after painting?

Ivd just done this myself on an Ultima over the christmas break. I drilled 3mm pilot holes with a regular drill bit by hand then opened them out to just over 5mm with the body reamer tool and thry cam out fine.

I always drill before painting as Ive tried post drilling before and it either cracked and flaked paint off away from the shell or if it didnt crack broke the bond against the lexan and leaves this weird looking shiny bubble - its difficult to describe. I try and do all the work nedded on a body bdfore paint including cutting out as the scissors can easily scratch paint.

• Thanks 1

I use a reamer, just a cheapie I got from Banggood. It works great. I used to drill before I got the reamer but it was always harder to get the right spot as the drill was harder to control

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree with @Jonathon Gillham. Been using a reamer ever since and I find if easier especially for delicate work. The one I use has a ruler "diameter" marking and it helps eliminate the guesswork. Attaching an example pic from Tamiya/TRF. Also, I've seen people fail on using it but because they don't have sharp/good quality reamers. I make the holes before I paint but sometimes had to do them after. Never had an issue just because the reamer I use seems to be quite sharp and I'm careful.

Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 2.26.13 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mechanic AH said:

Agree with @Jonathon Gillham. Been using a reamer ever since and I find if easier especially for delicate work. The one I use has a ruler "diameter" marking and it helps eliminate the guesswork. Attaching an example pic from Tamiya/TRF. Also, I've seen people fail on using it but because they don't have sharp/good quality reamers. I make the holes before I paint but sometimes had to do them after. Never had an issue just because the reamer I use seems to be quite sharp and I'm careful.

Same here, if you get awful results u r doing something wrong. This is the best tool or a drill

• Thanks 1

I have a reamer like in the picture over and i belive it is both safer and you get better result compared to standard drill. On my last kit i forgot to use Reamer before i painted the Lexan body, but it stil came out perfect, i was sure the paint would crack but it did not, so if planning to build more RC kits with lexan body you should get one

• Thanks 1

Buy a new body reamer. The trick is to go slow and let the weight of the tool do the work. A light touch and patiently working will give perfect results.

If you need a starter hole, use a large sewing needle and poke a pin hole where you want to ream.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

FWIW, my reamer doesn't look much like that. Mine is stepped.

I have ordered a different one.

5 hours ago, Mrowka said:

FWIW, my reamer doesn't look much like that. Mine is stepped.

I have ordered a different one.

If your reamer is stepped, they usually call it a bearing extraction tool. :)

• Like 1

If you drill you need to place a piece of wood or plastic behind the lexan and on top to stop it splitting.  Alternatively I heat up the sized drill bit on a gas hob and gently melt through with a twist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

Dremel tool, starting with a pilot hole using one of these;

731A8020-BE84-4FEF-BC43-E5DB59F0DC1A.jpeg

Thats definitely the best way. I like to use a dremel... so much I killed the brushed on mine.