Exit13

My vintage collection and questions

What up Tamiya Club. newb here but I’ve had these 5 cars for quite some time now and I just recently got back into it. I went on RC groups because tapa talk will host my pics and I have many questions but the answers on that site come slow and I get the feeling they don’t love Tamiya like we do. So here is my link so you can see my pics and my questions. Which generally are: what batteries can I run to see an improvement over my 35 year old ones being able to retain exiting motor and charger? What controller and how do I buy more receivers so I can run all my cars so the one radio and just making sure the 1060 by hobby wings is right ESC for me ?

3D001527-8DA3-4881-A11D-2FDD578344A5.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi,

first off, love the Boomerang! What kind of transmitter do you prefer, pistol grip/wheel or sticks? Pistol is definitely more common now. I personally run a flysky GT5 which is good for upto 20 models stored at once. The receivers run me between 12-15 a go. There is a cheaper version of this with 3 channels called the flysky FS-GT3C which is popular on the budget end too. If you like sticks I'll let someone else stand in as I don't have any experience first hand. 

On the transmitter you'll have different models to select (you hah even name them so you don't have to remember) select model 1 on your transmitter, bind up a receiver and set the car up how you like and rinse and repeat for all your cars. Just make sure you select the right model else either it won't pair up or your settings will be wrong for the car! 

Hobbywing 1060 are brilliant all purpose Escs which are super versatile and plug and play. There are some fakes around in eBay and the like, basically a genuine article costs between 17-25, the ones for less than a tenner are clones. 

I'd advise just picking up some decent brand NIMH packs, it's pretty hard to go wrong really. I've had turnigy, gens ace, overlander and vapex packs and they've been grand. I would recommend picking up a more modern charger if you can, something like a IMAX b6 or similar. Does the lot. Just with NIMH packs you shouldn't fully discharge them all the way like you would a Nicad. 

Pistol grip is fine. Are you suggesting that additional receivers only cost $15?  And do you have links you can advise on fir the battery abs the charger. I’m already looking at that Flysky FS-GT3B but it’s will not clear to me what additional receivers to buy with it to go beyond 1 car?

Good suggestions from @Hobgoblin   If you're looking for a budget multi-model radio go with the FlySky GT3C.  I have a few of them and it is perfect for the vehicles you have (or anything that only needs 2-3 channels).  Nice and light, enough adjustment parameters for what you're looking to do, and quality is good.  It uses the FS-GR3E receiver and you can get them for as little as $6 each.  I usually buy them in packs of 5 or so on Ebay for around $30.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PCS-FlySky-FS-GR3E-Receiver-3CH-Failsafe-for-FLYSKY-GT2B-GT3B-GT3C-Transmitter/223097849174?hash=item33f1ab0556:g:K4YAAOSw1opbblG5

As far as batteries if you want to stay with NiMh that's fine and they will do well for the models you have, but I would suggest stepping up to Lipo batteries.  You can get them in the same stick pack configuration as NiCd/MiMh and they will fit in all of your models just fine.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J5C6J9V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the ESC, can't beat the Hobbywing 1060, perfect for what you're doing.

I think its great you're getting back into the hobby and giving these vintage models a second chance at life.  The only thing I will say is be prepared to break some parts.  Unfortunately after all of these years the plastic is brittle and stuff will break, no way around it unfortunately.  Good luck wirth whatever you decide to do and welcome to TC.

Hobgoblin  and 87 thanks for your reply. 87 will these Lipo battery work with my brush motors?  I’d hate to have to upgrade them all?

LiPo battery’s will work fine with a Hobbywing 1060 esc, your brushed motors will work fine too, but you would need a new LiPo charger, LiPo chargers can pretty much charge all 7.2 - 7.6v battery’s 

Nice cars too, vintage runners which is exactly how I like them

Thanks. I didn’t even show if the best one. Here it is:

4A975C89-6713-4E99-B69C-C43517131221.jpeg

• Like 2

If you're looking at the Flysky GT3 them get the C model, not the B. It comes with a lipo battery included compared to needing 8 AA batteries for the B.

Aliexpress and Banggood both stock Flysky and have the receivers too.

Charger - I like the HTRC C240. Its a dual charger and can charge all battery types, runs off AC power so doesn't requirw a separate power supply and is well priced. Or look at SkyRC, the S60 or D100 are both good every day chargers, the S is a single and the D is a dual. Look at Banggood or aliexpress 

Ok thanks everyone. I’m going to load up my cart with the suggestions above today. I’m sure I have tons more questions when it all comes. I’ll leave with one more of my pictures. This is the day I won a frog new in box at an R/C race with my thunder shot. Wish I still had the frog but I can’t find it. 

C620A5AC-2CFB-4AD2-A26F-DAC30456524D.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On my vintage I strip out acoms recievers, servos, MSCs, and update with new tamiya Esc with futaba servo and receiver... I keep all the original gear in storage. The old vintages then run perfectly 👍

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Exit13 said:

Thanks. I didn’t even show if the best one. Here it is:

4A975C89-6713-4E99-B69C-C43517131221.jpeg

The grasshopper is a great buggy,ive just built the re re.Great fun to run and easy to get parts.

17 hours ago, Hobgoblin said:

Hi,

first off, love the Boomerang! What kind of transmitter do you prefer, pistol grip/wheel or sticks? Pistol is definitely more common now. I personally run a flysky GT5 which is good for upto 20 models stored at once. The receivers run me between 12-15 a go. There is a cheaper version of this with 3 channels called the flysky FS-GT3C which is popular on the budget end too. If you like sticks I'll let someone else stand in as I don't have any experience first hand. 

On the transmitter you'll have different models to select (you hah even name them so you don't have to remember) select model 1 on your transmitter, bind up a receiver and set the car up how you like and rinse and repeat for all your cars. Just make sure you select the right model else either it won't pair up or your settings will be wrong for the car! 

Hobbywing 1060 are brilliant all purpose Escs which are super versatile and plug and play. There are some fakes around in eBay and the like, basically a genuine article costs between 17-25, the ones for less than a tenner are clones. 

I'd advise just picking up some decent brand NIMH packs, it's pretty hard to go wrong really. I've had turnigy, gens ace, overlander and vapex packs and they've been grand. I would recommend picking up a more modern charger if you can, something like a IMAX b6 or similar. Does the lot. Just with NIMH packs you shouldn't fully discharge them all the way like you would a Nicad. 

The hobbywing 1060 esc get mixed reviews on youtube,they cut out and go into failsafe mode.

I decided to come more correct with my paint schemes on my hard bodied cars 

09F3E699-767E-4EDE-9D2D-54CC80099F66.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey folks, I order a new battery (Not Lipo yet - Although I know that's coming) the Hobbywing 1060 ESC and the Flysky GT-3C. My question now is can I use my existing old school Servo's and if so with what wire am I to solder on so I can plug in the new Flysky Receiver?  I think for right now I'm going to work on getting the grasshopper ready to run with the new components.  Once I understand how it all works, I'll buy some more receivers and ESC's and get all my cars 100%.  

For the fly sky receiver, where do I get these pig tails to solder on to my old servos?

97492B12-B278-40A6-8F29-8F7BD73BC41A.jpeg

There shouldn't be any need to use an adapter or solder on new connectors, the old electronics should plug right into the GR3E receiver, they have the extra slot for the old style connectors.  Pretty sure I have at least one old Futaba servo plugged into this receiver somewhere...

FS-GR3E.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DPR250R said:

I ordered an adaptor to get a modern receiver to work with an old Futaba servo from Radical RC... 

https://www.radicalrc.com/category/Adapters-53

... maybe they have something that can help you out? 

That’s the exact adapter I need. Point in the right direction where you got them, please. That link doesn’t work. 

7 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

There shouldn't be any need to use an adapter or solder on new connectors, the old electronics should plug right into the GR3E receiver, they have the extra slot for the old style connectors.  Pretty sure I have at least one old Futaba servo plugged into this receiver somewhere...

FS-GR3E.jpg

I guess I have to see it in real life to see what you are saying. My old futaba servos seem to have a three pin male so I don’t see where that’s going to plug in but I’ll wait for the stuff to get here. But I think I at least need the receiver specific pig tail or better get an adapter