Exit13

My vintage collection and questions

9 hours ago, DPR250R said:

I ordered an adaptor to get a modern receiver to work with an old Futaba servo from Radical RC... 

https://www.radicalrc.com/category/Adapters-53

... maybe they have something that can help you out? 

The link works!!  I’m going to figure it out with these cats Thanks. 

Yeah those are fine, they just plug right in. 

look at the ring i've popped on the image

image.png.8dfdc90ad94a96316ea7b39cf4863475.png

S is the important one, that's where all the magic happens its your (S)ignal wire. On all servos and speed controllers I've encountered its always the lightest colour one - in your case white but some brands use yellow or orange. The + is positive, the red wire and the - is negative, the black. 

This rx even has the little aligning  tab so you physically can't plug it in the wrong way round, bonus!

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Now I can’t wait for my stuff to arrive!!!  This hobby is addictive.... what have I got myself into!!!

Looks to be like Vintage Tamiya is going to take Over my world much like my a GT Performer did for me and now look at what happens with a BMX addiction in only a little over 5 years. So no point in resisting, I’ll just pull out my wallet and let it all happen. I think at this point my general inquiries and parts questions have been answered so I can either keep this thread going with all my madness or I can start a specific thread for each of my cars?  But before I do that maybe I can get some recommendations on a modern Tamiya that embraces the soul of the vintage runners that I have since I’m realizing that Gently is how I’ll need to roll with my current fleet. But I need one everyday beater. (Or maybe I just use the grasshopper?)

D6BDCAB0-C3E1-46AC-9D9A-88FF4389492F.jpeg

2 hours ago, Exit13 said:

Looks to be like Vintage Tamiya is going to take Over my world much like my a GT Performer did for me and now look at what happens with a BMX addiction in only a little over 5 years. So no point in resisting, I’ll just pull out my wallet and let it all happen. I think at this point my general inquiries and parts questions have been answered so I can either keep this thread going with all my madness or I can start a specific thread for each of my cars?  But before I do that maybe I can get some recommendations on a modern Tamiya that embraces the soul of the vintage runners that I have since I’m realizing that Gently is how I’ll need to roll with my current fleet. But I need one everyday beater. (Or maybe I just use the grasshopper?)

D6BDCAB0-C3E1-46AC-9D9A-88FF4389492F.jpeg

Hello fellow vintage BMXer! Nice rides!

And I would say for the "everyday beater".... it depends on what you typically do during those beatings? I still drive my old Grasshopper like I stole it, but I cringe every time I roll it.

I’m so fortunate that I saved these after all these years. I’m thinking about getting a re re for my everyday beater. I used to have an Audi Quattro Rally abs even back in the 80’s I had a hard time getting parts. I’d like to get that car again if I can get my hands on one. That or wild willys!  I Always wanted one of them. 

0F8CF5D7-1112-42E0-ADA9-09933A546322.jpeg

Things are starting to arrive. Hmm I thought I ordered a 4000mAh battery but seems I have a 3000. Will this work?  Which car should I do first?

FB42722E-5233-457F-BA95-F8D74DB061BC.jpeg

Also any suggestions on what part I need to correctly connect my thunder shot dual front shocks to the a arm would be appreciated. This is what I’ve got on there but I only have 1. Has anyone seen anything like it?  I know the t shot has a mono shock original so this must have been a mod that I did BITD. doesn’t have to be this exact but something that will work?

16A0747C-5CD7-4EDE-A027-A9733A7FBF95.jpeg

I’m not familiar enough with the T shot to answer your suspension question. But, regarding what modern Tamiya embodies the Tamiya spirit and is a good ever day runner? I am partial to the G6-01 Konghead/ King Yellow chassis. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Exit13 said:

Also any suggestions on what part I need to correctly connect my thunder shot dual front shocks to the a arm would be appreciated. This is what I’ve got on there but I only have 1. Has anyone seen anything like it?  I know the t shot has a mono shock original so this must have been a mod that I did BITD. doesn’t have to be this exact but something that will work?

16A0747C-5CD7-4EDE-A027-A9733A7FBF95.jpeg

If I'm not mistaken, that particular pressed metal piece is from a Super Hotshot. But I don't think you need it. The blue section of the a-arm it's covering has a set of 3(?) holes that can accept screw-in connectors. Just get the slightly longer ones that are brass-colored to get close to the same positioning as this one and screw it directly to the a-arm. Or alternatively, use the terra-scorcher stock setup with flange tubes and screws that have serrated nuts on the inside of the a-arm to hold them in place.

Thanks Dead Meat.  Yeah I'm going to go with a brass shock bushing and a screw and attach them just like the rears are attached.  I think I need a spacer since the body of of the shock hits the blue arm.  But I'll figure it out and keep you all updated if you care.

You can probably find these all on line but I’m happy to still have all of these. Wish I still had all of the cars 

image.jpg

• Like 2

Ok. Another car in my collection is up and running. I can’t wait to try it out in the am. 

553CDAC8-5BBD-402C-B87B-73FD0E694A2A.jpeg

• Like 1

Oh the joy this car Has brought to me!!  It’s like being a kid again. This thing rips and even made me laugh a few times with its silliness 

1F1AA7F3-DB0C-4E8E-B6FD-A28DEE1C0380.jpeg

Well this is both nice and sad to strip out all these components car after car. I was some what excited that my two futaba radios and paired receivers made it all this time and still functional correctly. But I guess I’m not going to miss these BS manual speed controls and I sure will not miss burning myself on these resistors any longer 

4B7A5547-BAAD-4F01-8C59-26716680DE26.jpeg

• Haha 1

Glad you're having fun with these!  Funny, I never felt bad about removing the old electronics and putting in nice, modern, properly functioning ESCs, 2.4 receivers etc.  It's odd because I do have a nostalgic feeling about my old models, but I never hesitate to upgrade to modern electronics if I'm going to run them.

Keep posting, it's nice seeing these come back to life.  Have you thought about completely dissasemlbing these, cleaning, re-greasing, and cleaning them up?  Don't get me wrong, as long as they work there's no need to, but the OCD in me would have had these torn down already.  I love a good tear-down & rebuild :)  It's like building the kit all over again and that's the best part.

The strip down, clean and reassemble does sound fun but I’m getting a huge kick out of running them w/ dirt from the 80’s. I can’t put this one down!!

A2C347D4-1DFE-4790-8FB9-0A1F4B0FCB82.jpeg

• Like 2

The strip down, clean and reassemble does sound fun but I’m getting a huge kick out of running them w/ dirt from the 80’s. I can’t put the falcon down!!  And now I stripped these clean but I’m thinking of putting the grasshopper back with MSC and Servo for show 

CFAAA688-4AE6-4EC3-8B0B-4C6C558F43ED.jpeg

• Like 2

I did notice yesterday while stripping the electronics out of these the lunch box and the boomerang appear to have upgraded motors from BITD, so that’s kind of exciting and an unexpected bonus. 

90632BED-7221-4A5D-8326-3327BC500E93.jpeg

Well it didn’t take long to break my RC car. Turns out the Falcon was notoriously weak here where I ripped a screw out. I fixed with a 27mm screw while I wait for my chassis brace to get here from Ampro via shapeways. Thank goodness for 3D printing 

AD6FB7B0-47CA-4C76-BE67-0464F5512495.jpeg

• Haha 1

Can someone recommend an ESC that is comparable if not slightly better than the 1060 that correct for my application which is exclusively vintage Tamiya?  It will be nice to get something different on one of my cars. 

The Dynamite WP60 is a similar brushed esc to the HW 1060. Nearly the same specs. Waterproof, lip or Nihm capable ( with a couple seconds of moving a jumper peg) 

i have the Dynamite in my Hornet and a HW 1060 in my g6-01 ( the Dynamite was taken out of my RTR axis SMT10)