Exit13

My vintage collection and questions

I’m devastated. I’m putting down the vintage Tamiya for a while. I’ve got a new Audi Quattro Rally on order. This damage really sucks. I don’t know what I’m going to do 

341BEC72-613B-465D-9730-DC4093E74A8C.jpeg

• Sad 1

Unfortunately that's how it goes with the vintage stuff...Remember I said you will break parts :)   I just had this happen with a few older cars as well.  Luckily there are parts out there (especially if they were re-released), but by the time you replace everything that is going to break you might as well just buy something new, clean the old ones up and put them on a shelf to look at.

I'm impressed you haven't broken the wishbones and uprights yet!  I broke mine before I got to run the car.  At least the bumper did its job. They tend to pop up on ebay every month or so for around the £10 mark

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ampro?section=Tamiya+Falcon&s=0

There's some interesting parts here, though your wallet might cry.

https://www.thingiverse.com/harrymakesthings/designs

No bumper but I have some parts uploaded for printing if you have that capability. 

4 hours ago, Hobgoblin said:

I'm impressed you haven't broken the wishbones and uprights yet!  I broke mine before I got to run the car.  At least the bumper did its job. They tend to pop up on ebay every month or so for around the £10 mark

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ampro?section=Tamiya+Falcon&s=0

There's some interesting parts here, though your wallet might cry.

https://www.thingiverse.com/harrymakesthings/designs

No bumper but I have some parts uploaded for printing if you have that capability. 

I saw that front bumper from AmPro via shapeways but it doesn't look like my old one so I was holding out for a replica.  I guess that bumper is intended to be used with Ampro's "056009-01 Falcon Front Bulkhead, Stock Replacement"?

$41.01

3 hours ago, Exit13 said:

Grasshopper First Run since the 80’s

7B8C5B5E-3D6D-47E5-AF9F-BD03364C8FA6.jpeg

I'm thinking I can rally this and be worry free?  Are all parts still available since (unlike the Falcon) this model has been RE RE

16 minutes ago, Exit13 said:

I'm thinking I can rally this and be worry free?  Are all parts still available since (unlike the Falcon) this model has been RE RE

A lot of Grasshopper parts are hard to come by right now in the US.  Tamiya USA has almost nothing and haven't seen a lot on Ebay recently (was looking for the rear gearbox tree recently and couldn't find one, had to 3D print new wheel hubs).  

Well this didn’t take long. More devastation. The crash wasn’t even that bad. Just rolled it on the lawn but I guess frozen ground and brittle plastics. 

D8C938F0-6B94-4E9A-807A-25EE81BCD059.jpeg

Doesn't take much with these vintage cars and especially in cold weather.  Honestly, the Grasshopper re-release is so inexpensive, why not just buy one of those and then shelf the original?  By the time you're done with this you'll probably be replacing all parts with re-release anyway.  

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Doesn't take much with these vintage cars and especially in cold weather.  Honestly, the Grasshopper re-release is so inexpensive, why not just buy one of those and then shelf the original?  By the time you're done with this you'll probably be replacing all parts with re-release anyway.  

Makes sense to me. What do you think, frog or Hornet?  Or should have to two lunch boxes? One old abs one new 

53 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Or what about these comical ones?  Should I be getting involved in that?

That's totally up to you.  I'm not a fan of the comical cars, but that's just me.  The Grasshopper is one of my favorite Tamiya vehicles of all time, but the Hornet is a better performer.  Never had a Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin so can't really comment on those, but I do have other 2wd monster trucks and they;re a lot of fun.  I get more use out of them than my buggies since you can run them just about anywhere.  Guess it depends on if you want car vs truck.  

Best advice I can give is to buy them all :)  Then you can buy new ones in another 30 years once the plastic gets nice and brittle on them...

So the grasshopper joins the Falcon in the out of commission club for the time being. Now I have parts showing up but it bitter sweet. Do I even want to get this boomerang going next?  Where are on parts spectrum is this vehicle going to fall. The g hopper chassis wasn’t bad $16.00 on eBay from from one state away. How are boomerang pars and does this vehicle have any Re re “sisters” that share parts?

3689E0D1-2E4A-4120-8B02-C3DA1CDB4DC8.jpeg

5 hours ago, Exit13 said:

So the grasshopper joins the Falcon in the out of commission club for the time being. Now I have parts showing up but it bitter sweet. Do I even want to get this boomerang going next?  Where are on parts spectrum is this vehicle going to fall. The g hopper chassis wasn’t bad $16.00 on eBay from from one state away. How are boomerang pars and does this vehicle have any Re re “sisters” that share parts?

3689E0D1-2E4A-4120-8B02-C3DA1CDB4DC8.jpeg

I am in the middle of bringing back a basket case Boomerang.

Parts are out there but scattered.  I can’t speak to what breaks because I have yet to drive it. 

On 1/12/2021 at 6:06 AM, Exit13 said:

Can someone recommend an ESC that is comparable if not slightly better than the 1060 that correct for my application which is exclusively vintage Tamiya?  It will be nice to get something different on one of my cars. 

There isnt really anything exclusively Tamiya apart from the CPR units which are very expensive and the specs arent great, I would suggest the Hobbywing 1080 esc, it has an optional program card which gives a huge amount of options, it will be advertised for crawlers but look at the specs between the 1060 and 1080 and make up your own mind, I have a 1080 running a 12 T double on 2s lipo......

9 hours ago, Exit13 said:

Do I even want to get this boomerang going next?  Where are on parts spectrum is this vehicle going to fall. 

If it's plastic it is going to fail...Kidding, but not really.  I have some vintage cars that are technically no longer vintage, they dont hve a single plastic part left from the original vehicle.  Wish I had either bought a re-release and shelfed the original, or just sold the original and bought a re-release.  I'm not much of a collector, but it's definitely a bit sad when one day you look at your "original" model and there's barely anything original from it left.

A nice alternative ESC is the xt-12 sold by modelsport, it has a larger switch that fits in the Tamiya chassis!

• Like 1

Plastex repair products will fix these parts but they will never be as strong though.

Boomerang issues will probably be the rear and front wishbones, if the gearboxes go and you can only find rere parts, then the job becomes bigger because of gearbox joints need replacing (different types).....

5 hours ago, taffer said:

A nice alternative ESC is the xt-12 sold by modelsport, it has a larger switch that fits in the Tamiya chassis!

Now that’s something I can get behind. These little crazy switches with no where to put them is driving me nuts. Thanks for the tip!!  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Exit13 said:

Now that’s something I can get behind. These little crazy switches with no where to put them is driving me nuts. Thanks for the tip!!  

Yes that drives me crazy as well!

21 minutes ago, taffer said:

Yes that drives me crazy as well!

I can’t even find a model sport XT. 12 available from any United States seller. And none on eBay. Maybe the Tamiya ESC?

I think modelsport is the name of the shop in England that sells the xt.12

4 hours ago, ploots said:

I think modelsport is the name of the shop in England that sells the xt.12

That's right sorry didn't clarify!

Just an idea, as you are in the states and ampro parts are  available, how about a new rising fighter as the basher and fit the rear ampro suspension parts to make it more like the original super hornet?  

1 hour ago, Toolmaker72 said:

Just an idea, as you are in the states and ampro parts are  available, how about a new rising fighter as the basher and fit the rear ampro suspension parts to make it more like the original super hornet?  

I could do that, or I was leaning towards a grasshopper/hornet or frog re-re.  That or for some reason I am really being drawn to this model which isnt too expensive:

76ddeb3126f39716702972f873bbcd85.jpg