Exit13

My vintage collection and questions

Sorry for the double posts. Still trying to figure out this posting a pic via Imgur 

ojrHzzz.jpg

I’m open to any thunder shot tires suggestions or rim/adapter suggestions to make these work on my thunder shot. Or as previously advised, just wait - as items will eventually be back in stock which is fine too. Thanks 

@Exit13 we run 2.2" DF03 wheels on most of our thundershots. We tend to use Schumacher tyres though because they have a wide range of tread patterns and compounds to suit any surface. However for your tyres the DF03 wheels should fit. They are available in white, black and orange/yellow from modelsport UK for about £7 a pair I think?

We just use standard or narrow 12mm drive hexes, in fact we tend to use the excellent thin (5mm) hexes with grub screws to retain the pin. https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=371130

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

@Exit13 we run 2.2" DF03 wheels on most of our thundershots. We tend to use Schumacher tyres though because they have a wide range of tread patterns and compounds to suit any surface. However for your tyres the DF03 wheels should fit. They are available in white, black and orange/yellow from modelsport UK for about £7 a pair I think?

We just use standard or narrow 12mm drive hexes, in fact we tend to use the excellent thin (5mm) hexes with grub screws to retain the pin. https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=371130

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is exactly the info that I seek. Many thanks mud for fun. Just to confirm I will need the 12mm hex adapter in thickness dimensions 5mm?  I was thinking 5.5mm so thank you for clarifying. Next I will obtain new rims with designation 2.2 or DF03?  I ask this because the tires I ordered are 62/25 abs 62/35 and I wonder with the different width tires do I need different width rims?  Any input or RC mart links are helpful as I’m already placing an order with them for more parts abs I just assume get the rims from them. Shipping to US was generally speedy with them. Thank you. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

And by the way those cars are blazing!

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Exit13 said:

This is exactly the info that I seek. Many thanks mud for fun. Just to confirm I will need the 12mm hex adapter in thickness dimensions 5mm?  I was thinking 5.5mm so thank you for clarifying. Next I will obtain new rims with designation 2.2 or DF03?  I ask this because the tires I ordered are 62/25 abs 62/35 and I wonder with the different width tires do I need different width rims?  Any input or RC mart links are helpful as I’m already placing an order with them for more parts abs I just assume get the rims from them. Shipping to US was generally speedy with them. Thank you. 

You can use hexes upto 7mm wide with the DF03 wheels BUT we also use Schumacher wheels for racing and they have thicker centres so need thinner hexes so we stick with the Axial narrow hexes which I'm pretty sure are 5mm. (5.5mm wide hex will be fine)

You can't use just any old 2.2" wheel because they have different offsets and material thickness. To guarantee a good fit on the Thundershot I'd stick with the DF03 wheels, they are perfect offset.

We use DF03 fronts and DF03 rears. The front wheels are narrower than the rears.

I got the grasshopper all worked out. It runs real nice and is a ton of fun. Especially as I have it all dressed in new MCI decals  It’s so clean right now with the new body and new chassis. I’m rocking my old frog tires set.  Almost look as a shelf queen.... for now.

73OLcAr.jpg

NViCK9E.jpg

ASpBiiq.jpg

dZu8aLJ.jpg

TrjFSuW.jpg

vT4DgaN.jpg

The Grasshopper looks great!  Those old, yellowed wheels almost look like the neon versions :)  Those Hornet tires are much more useful than the stock Grasshopper paddle tires.  I love the look of the paddles, but they are pretty useless for actual running.  

I also rage’ed with the thunder shot today too. I’ve got this car running nice now with these new electronics  also please note the new A5 part and née bumper  

LZG6VEO.jpg

37 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

Haha - indeed ;)

JJ

I have this going on next 

H6a6Dzd.jpg

• Like 1

I know this may just look like another grasshopper to you. 
QEQ7GTB.jpg

but to me it’s much more. It is the part of essential collection . This is roots of my R/C existence. This was my brother’s car and our family’s very first entry into radio controlled. This grasshopper was upgraded by my bro to a 540 and full ball bearings. The same 540 that sits in it today with clear speaker wiring being used to power it. Another upgrade my bro did was combo’ing  the mini front spring with a larger spring up front since you know the front of the cars is soft. Although much has changed, these mods still exist today on my bro’s grasshopper today along with hornet rear suspension. Next I’ll be upgrading to some shapeways part on his falcon that’s been in my custody since 1993 and it’s still rocking his custom paint job.   PTwYzXG.jpg

• Like 2

I also just found another solution to an age old problem

DA2F4C6D-BC7D-4089-AD69-A79C650FE65C.jpeg

Hvbw4sF.jpg

all the parts I have been waiting for have arrived. Let’s get this vintage runner back In action.  

I’m pretty happy with the way this all goes together. Shout out AmPro!!

YYiq7DX.jpg

9GTBygS.jpg

I decide not to install the AmPro shock towers for now. I’ll just keep them and if I need them, I have them. That way with the body on it keeps most of it originality. 
tHblqP4.jpg
I’ll have to hunt for an original bumper of this 3D printed bothers me any. Or can install this after market period correct Parma that I also picked up 

kj7h6Hy.jpg

100% back in action. Props to AmPro for the bulkhead. Everything worked out for the Falcon but their battery retainer. 
gfFe1ky.jpg

• Like 1

The 1984 grasshopper body is back on action 

jd1Zram.jpg

Now I’ve got one for show and one for bashing. 
P0RuEjS.jpg

I’m just now sure which one is which yet

0e2bwIp.jpg

probably the blue one is for show but I’ve got to run it too

Look how far I’ve come in just four months!! (and a few fist fulls of cash). And I’m having too much fun doing it !

W0FYv9Z.jpg

Everything shown is a runner  

• Like 4

Great thread, lots of enthusiasm and I like the way you run and enjoy all your cars.

• Like 2

Bumping my thread with my fresh new look on my 1984 body 

lV8mqaF.jpg

and still enjoying the falcon 

i0rd34S.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

Of all your models which one do you enjoy running the most? 

This one is my favorite car to run

0UIArc1.jpg

• Like 1

Wild Willy M38, Audi Quattro and Willy's Wheeler ... the trifecta :wub:

• Like 1